“Excellent Service, Quality Room!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Museum Hotel

You added Museum Hotel to your Saves list
Museum Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No 72 Jalan A.S. Mansor | Off Transfer Road, George Town, Penang Island 10050, Malaysia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #11 of 72 Hotels in George Town
Singapore, Singapore
“Excellent Service, Quality Room!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I walked in and luckily get a single room! At first I was rather hesitate to stay in old building converted hotel again but to my surprise, it was really really good!

The room is new with very clean & comfy beds, big TV. the breakfast place is really nice with great relaxing ambient!
he staffs are very friendly, helpful, hands-on, and professional! I have no complaints about the location as it's just a short walk from main tourist area.

Highly recommended!!!

Room Tip: Tell the taxi you are going to the "Hutton lane" (more recognizable) , whereas the hotel i...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank bernicetan

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

My fam and I stayed at this hotel in family room. We found the hotel is located at good location with easy access to Georgetown area.

The helpful staffs and welcome drink impressed my parents. Plus, the 2-storey room amazed us: the downstair is living rooom while the upstair is bedroom, which we found it was practical and functional for group travellers.

We wouldn't feel hesitated to recommend this hotel to anyone at all and we will definitely return!!

• Stayed September 2013
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I generally chose to stay at well known hotel chains when I travel. This time, as I was travelling alone and wishing to explore more boutique options, I tried the Museum Hotel. The hotel had only been operating a few months, or so the receptionist told me. A row of traditional Straits shop houses (see photo attached) had been given a new lease of life as a hotel after rather extensive renovations.

The Museum Hotel's look is traditional Straits Chinese and in keeping with that tradition there are western influenced furnishings and western antiques mixed in to the general decor. It is a pleasant change from the stock standard hotel look. Those who like old world charm and decor will love the look of this place!

My single occupancy room was 19 square meters, smallish but adequate for one person. It had a double bed and a separate shower and toilet. It is a smallish boutique hotel and even when relatively full, it still maintains a sense of exclusivity.

The hotel has a dining room which only serves breakfast. You are given 3 choices for breakfast which consisted of poached eggs, eggs and ham (see attached photo) and oats with nuts and sultanas. I like the way the hotel tries to incorporate local flavours. Served with your choice of breakfast is a daily selection of local Nyonya confections (see attached photo) and a selection of seasonal fruits. Generally, not having a venue that serves lunches and dinners will not be an issue in Penang as food can be found everywhere. However, the Museum Hotel is rather isolated and one will have to walk some distance in the tropical weather to find variety. The only food outlet nearby that I can see are basic outlets serving spicy Indian Muslim cooking.

The hotel has an air conditioned little gym with some free weights, a cycling machine and an arm exercise machine. There is no pool. There is an in-house museum which is opened to hotel guests between 4 to 5pm by appointment. I was out during those times during my 6 nights stay so never had the chance to check it out.

I found the staff very friendly, helpful and obliging, every single one of them. They are the hotel's best asset. They do go out of their way to provide a good service. They smile and greet you each time they encounter you. They look like they genuinely enjoy their work and want to be at work.

Not been a fan of eggs for breakfast every day and after a few days of having oats, I asked whether I could have no mains but a larger serve of fruits instead. The staff obliged me and I had a very nice selection of fruits. The next day, I again declined the main breakfast and asked whether instead of a piece of the local Nyonya confection, I could have a few more. I was served a very nice selection of Nyonya cakes.

One day, I was dropped off at the hotel when it was raining. A member of staff came outside with an umbrella. These little thoughtful acts and the genuine warmth exhibited by members of staff made my stay memorable. It was also a nice touch to have the women reception staff wear the graceful, traditional "kebaya" during weekends. It fitted right in with the Straits culture theme of the hotel.

The downside is that the Museum Hotel is a little out of the way when it comes to proximity to Georgetown's attractions or to food outlets. In the tropics where it is hot and humid, one cannot walk very far in the middle of the day without bathing in sweat. The Museum Hotel is a good place for peace and quiet provided you are prepared to take taxis to your destinations.

In summary, this is a beautiful little hotel where the staff will make you feel welcomed and will oblige your reasonable requests. I will definitely return and recommend it to fellow travellers wanting to experience some local colour.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank EricPerth_Australia
kuala lumpur
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I travel a lot for work and pleasure and I usually only write reviews if I had a really outstanding experience or a really terrible one - the Museum Hotel definitely falls into former category! I just came back from a two night stay there with my mother and was really impressed by the whole experience. I made my reservation through booking.com and shortly after making my booking I received an email from the hotel confirming my booking, giving me helpful information about getting to the hotel and asking if I had any special requests. The hotel is beautifully decorated in a traditional style with lots of old pieces of furniture and antiques throughout. My room (a standard single) was tasteful and traditional in style by modern in terms of its comfort and amenities. The bed was very comfy and the marble walk-in shower was hot and powerful. There was a flat-screen TV with several English channels. When I returned to my room in the evening on the first day, I was surprised to see that it had been turned down and a small treat with a thoughtful and personalized note from the reception staff was on my bed. This kind of attention to detail is something that I would only really expect from a 5 Star hotel (and unfortunately these days rarely find even in those). the breakfast, which you order the night before, was beautifully served in a light and airy breakfast room. The real highlight though was the staff - they were genuinely friendly, helpful and keen to help in any way they could. Nothing was too much trouble and everyone always greeted us with a smile on their faces. It far exceeded the standard of service that I have received in most 5 star hotels in which I have stayed in the region (and I have lived in SE Asia for 7 years so have stayed in a lot of different hotels here!) There are definitely some Managers of large international 5 Star hotels in KL that could learn a thing or two from this hotel! The only constructive feedback I can give is that i would have been good to have had a safe in the room and I think it would also be good to have at last one local breakfast option on the menu - I live here so didn't mind the absence of this and loved my eggs benedict and egg and ham cups, but for my mum who is just visiting Malaysia it would have been good if there had been some more local options for her to try. Otherwise, it was faultless. The staff are incredible and the management is to be commended as they obviously have a rare talent for recruiting passionate, friendly, helpful and assertive staff for the property. i would definitely go back and wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to others - it was excellent value for money.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank KualaLumpurTabby
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Great design in straits colonial style. Real antique pieces everywhere in the hotel. Cozy and comfortable. Great staffs and service. You will feel like home. Tucked in a quiet corner of a busy main road with local residences around. It gives you feel really warmth and delightful everyday when you step into the hotel. The door man (Indian man), who working here as a part-timer, also run his roti bakar and kopi stall just at the near by roadside by the mosque. He is the very best door man even though he didn't look like one. Always greet us whenever he sees us, even at his kopi stall (which I didn't expect to see him there running the stall).
Breakfast was simple and good. Serving in the lounge area with very nice ambiance in the morning. Quiet, with soft breezy morning sun.
Must really praise all the staffs working in the hotel. They really did their best to serve everyone who stays here. Thank you!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank ck k
Bali, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

It's a new hotel and not yet popular so most taxi driver doesn't know its location. But its location is a plus for me because its in a quiet cul-de-sac, no traffic and just a walking distance all the places I want to go in Georgetown.

The rustic heritage feeling of its interior and the beautifully restored exterior is just what I need. I loved the little 'museum' inside. My Room was clean and the the turn-down service was given a nice touch with a surprise aromatherapy flower in one night and a couple of packets of cookies for the other night.

Staff are friendly, the complimentary breakfast choice was limited but enough to start the day and if you're still hungry there is a quaint little bakery just at the corner.

I will definitely come back again.

Warning: There is no Swimming pool and no Restaurant yet (may be soon)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lullabypoohbear
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

The name 'MUSEUM' might sounds too old for us, and this hotel success to create its image and character for being so called. Once we step to the entrance, we'll find a friendly staff will open the door for us and the reception at a small front desk stands to the right of the entrance would welcome you with warm greeting and smile.

Water dripping in the cornered crock would spoil your stay in this boutique hotel. You will be personally taken care of and being well treated. Old fashion in room telephone and 'peranakan' windows' style in your room would tell you the fact, why this hotel being so call 'The Museum'. You are able to visit 'the museum tour' organized by the staffs, else you could try to manage your own applicable schedule to enjoy their in house tour.

Besides the museum tour, the front desk staff would be more than happy to hand over 'culinary' map showing The best restaurants and hawkers' food within walking distance from this lovely hotel. Excellent choice indeed

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business