“Could not fault it, lovely dinner.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 460 Restaurants in George Town
Cuisines: Asian fusion
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Kebaya is the diningroom of the Seven Terraces and is open to hotel guests and the public.Open daily, 7pm till 10pm.Christopher Ong has worked with the hotel’s chefs to create a menu of classic Indo and Straits Chinese Nyonya dishes. They have refined these using French cooking techniques and innovative produce to deliver surprising new twists on this already fascinating cuisine.The effect is simple, delicious full of flavour and dazzling.A four course degustation menu of entrée, main course, vegetables and dessert is served in Chinese style to allow guests to share the dishes. The Baba Bar is open daily from 2pm onwards, with live piano music in a very intimate setting.
Melbourne, Australia
“Could not fault it, lovely dinner.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

We had dinner here our last night in Penang and it was wonderful. We have stayed at the other hotel in Galle, Sri Lanka, run by the same people but this is much nicer. The restaurant staff are well trained, professional and attentive without doing the over the top hovering thing you get often at restaurants in SE Asia. The food was creatively cooked and presented, equal to a very good restaurant in pretty much anywhere in the world. I suppose a touch pricey for Malaysia standards, but very good value for what you get and the ambience and superb setting. Highly reccomend, which is a bit rare for me!

Visited March 2014

• Thai first
Penang Island, Malaysia
“Best Nyona in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

The set menu ensures you get a full sampling of Nyonya dishes - I've tried just about everything on their menu and haven't met a dish I didn't like. Soft-shell crab is divine, and I think they do the best roasted pork on the island. Beautiful setting, and super reasonably priced for 5 gourmet courses @ ~ 30 USD a person.

Visited March 2014
Athens, Greece
“Fantastic restaurant, delicious food with chic ambiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

A fantastic restaurant in Georgetown housed in an old colonial building. The food is outstanding, the ambiance wonderful and the service superb but discreet. Menu is fixed but there is a great variety to choose from and all dishes came beautifully presented. If you are in Georgetown don’t miss this place. Special thanks to the staff; when I called for a reservation (our last evening in Georgetown), restaurant was fully booked but managed to accommodate us.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
scotland
“not as good as they say”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Ok it was in a wonderful setting. Nicely renovated but situated in a bit of a rundown street.
The service I thought was impeccable.
You order off a set menu of which you pick four items. A starter,A main,a side of vegetables and a dessert.
There were six of us so we got most of the things off the limited menu.
The starters were actually not bad, an interesting choice to pick from. The best of the lot I thought was the miniature pies which came with a wonderful dipping sauce. The rest were good but not great. The mains......what can I say.. Culture clash of western and Asian food?
The lamb shank was tender but the flavours weren't deep.
The duck in which we got a leg and a bit of breast, the breast was actually quite chewy though the leg was fine. The curry kapitan was.... Meh. S'alright.
The king prawn curry was also Ok, flavours were quite good.
The fish... It was a nice price of fish but we didn't like the marinade.
The rest were hmmmmm.... It's Ok but nothing outstanding
Also got to add all the portions were generous in size.
The price for six with a drink each came to just under 800rm.
Now for western standards that's nowhere expensive just a normal night out.
But for penang it's a bit toppy. Remember you can get a seafood buffet with unlimited lobster in a five star premises for around the same price.

I can probably understand where the money is going as it is in a wonderfully refurbished colonial setting and I don't mind at all paying the price. The food was Ok not bad by any means and remember my taste may be different to yours and you might find it great.
But personally the mains would be what I expect from a normal restaurant back in the UK.
Except I wanted to try something else when I come to penang.
And if you DO want to try something else that is very keenly priced there is always jawi house.....

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Reading, England
“Interesting food and attentive service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We chose to eat at Kebaya on the basis of Trip Advisor reviews and were definitely not disappointed. I would describe it as fusion food rather than traditional Nonya cuisine, but delicious and beautifully presented.
Our waiter was very attentive, without being at all intrusive and assisted us with our selection.
We enjoyed sharing our choice of dishes - stopped either of us getting "food envy".
We thought the meal was excellent value for money.
The restoration of the hotel is fantastic and, from what I could see on a trip to the loo, would be a great place to stay.
We liked the ambiance so much we returned for drinks in the bar on our last night in Penang.
(You could easily be put off on your walk to the hotel / restaurant, as much of the surrounding buildings are pretty run down. Dont be!!)

• Visited February 2014