“Do yourself a favour, stay here.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Syok at Chulia

You added Syok at Chulia to your Saves list
Syok at Chulia
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   458 Chulia Street, George Town, Penang Island 10200, Malaysia   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Victoria, Canada
“Do yourself a favour, stay here.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

Huge dorms, but beds positioned at such angles that you almost never know it was a dorm. Very clean, great location. A bit of road noise early am, but cool clean rooms and a very nice common area for breakfast and a good place to meet fellow travellers. Costs slightly more than other places on chulia st but worth every ringgit.

• Stayed January 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Makati, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

This was my first time travelling alone and my first time to stay in a dorm-type accommodation on a trip so I was hoping that this hostel would do its best to calm my nerves. I had to take a long walk to get here (because I got off at the wrong place) but everything was made all right when I finally got to check in.

The room where I stayed in - the one shared with 7 other people - was amazingly clean and the air-conditioning unit did its job to cool the place down (which is of high importance when the sun is up and about in Georgetown). The only reason for the 4-rating on sleep quality is its having wooden floors that makes the thuds and heavy footsteps of those above our room audible.

The location of the place is excellent. It's right at the end of Chulia Street that's closer to Komtar, the main bus station in Georgetown. It's walkable (I've done it) but there are buses you can board nearby that can take you to Komtar if you're in a rush. It's very near places where you can rent bikes from and, from here, you can bike to most of the tourist attractions in Georgetown without much effort.

The highlight of the place for me, though, was the excellent lounge located on its roofdeck, where all the people can chill and get to know each other. I've made a lot of good friends here over a couple of beers, some movies we really didn't pay attention to, and a lot of travel story sharing.

I highly recommend this place to solo travelers who want a good place to hang out in after a long day of sightseeing or to find people to travel with on your next stops.

Room Tip: You won't need to choose rooms. As far as I can tell, almost all the rooms are the same.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Syok_at_Chulia, Owner at Syok at Chulia, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Jaybeeang,

Thank you for the positive review. We always strive to improve and want all our guests to enjoy not only what Penang can offer but what Syok represents which is comfortable stays with great people. We hope to see you in Penang soon!
Lawndale, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

From the moment of arrival till check out, everything was perfect at my stay here. The staff were very kind and helpful. The place is awesome, new and big. The rooms are great, and the beds big, with lockers. Stayed in the female dorm, had separate bathroom which was perfectly clean. Upstairs is a common area and where breakfast is served, which is a nice breakfast. There's also a patio. Oh, and the location is amazing!!!
Only tiny gripe is that you can hear very loudly the floor creaking when people are in the common room upstairs, when I was in the larger female dorm room.

Room Tip: It's in a noisy area of town, bring earplugs. Even with earplugs, the muslim prayer call woke me...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Zurich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Quirky hostel with good vibe, helpful and friendly staff and great facilities. Spotlessly clean and the beds are comfortable. Cute artwork on the walls. Can't complain about anything. Would definitely stay again!

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hi Mariana R

Thank you for the great review! We at Syok are always encouraged with positive reviews like this and hope to keep the tradition going. We look forward to your next visit!
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed two nights at ladies dorm. The bed is comfortable and the bathroom is remarkably clean n beautiful. We love everything about this hostel, the friendly service, the strategic location. Nasi kandar, cendol, assam laksa, armenian st are all walking distance away. We will surely comeback for more

• Stayed January 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I stayed there for one night. The staff was knowledgable and friendly. Had a great night. the lounge is pretty good, and got to meet some cool people there too. Rooms and beddings were clean and organised. Location-wise its pretty central, and bus stop and komtar (shopping mall) are nearby. Really very satisfied with my stay here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Syok_at_Chulia, Manager at Syok at Chulia, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Bharat B,

We are really glad you had a good time with us. Thank you so much for the kind review and for your recommendation. The team is happy to see they are doing the right job so that our valuable guests enjoy Georgetown .

We are looking forward to host you again in the future. Don't be a stranger the next time you are back in town.

Wishing you a great time ahead,

Yours sincerely,

Kati Ferry
Seremban, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

I checked in at late evening, the design of the place gave me a very pleasant feel. The bed was clean, no beg bugs - Good ! The thing I liked most at this place was the lounge at the rooftop, fantastic ! I brought my book there and got myself some tea and coffee which were prepared by them, an evening well-spent ! There was also a massage chair - RM 1 - RM10 if not mistaken ( depends on how long you want it to be ). It's a very well-designed place honestly. The bathroom was okay but for the 'ladies only bathroom', the shower door had some termites thus I didn't hang my clothes there and that's the only problem I had during my stay ( did not know where to hang my clothes? ) But, this was not really a bid deal, coz later, when I went to the 'mixed bathroom' to check on the shower door ( just went in one of them ), the door was free of termites! Although there's still much space to improve but overall I do like the place.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear Susan,

Thank you for taking your time to write us a review. We really appreciate it.
The Syok team is very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and the amenities we provided.
Our goal is for our guests to feel as comfortable as possible.
Thank you for pointing out the matter in the ladies bathroom. We can assure you we are taking care of it while we speak.

We really hope to host you again in the future. Please don't hesitate to come back the next time you will be in Georgetown.

Until then the Syok Team wishes you a great time ahead,

Yours sincerely,

Kati Ferry

Been to Syok at Chulia? Share your experiences!