“Fantastic dinner” 5 of 5 stars

Free room upgrade
Ranked #1 of 48 hotels in Georgetown
“Fantastic dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Only went here for dinner and it was outstanding. The food had all the flavours of Asia, but was done in a subtle and unique way. The atmosphere was classy, but not stuffy. There were people dressed in shorts and others were dressy, but everyone fitted in fine. The manager, Prakash (?) was excellent as were the rest of the staff. The conversion of 7 houses knocked into 1 was beautiful. I would highly recommend this for a dinner.

• Stayed February 2013

265 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Thai first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Never written a TA review before but thought I would start with this hotel as it impressed so much . More than anything what struck me was the caring staff, nothing was a bother ,
every morning ( the good looking ) manager would work his way around the breakfast tables checking on guests stays and assisting them with their days adventures. This was a first for us and it made a big difference to our stay. Building is gorgeous and food a real treat, loved the Indian choice at breakfast, yummy paratha ! Well designed and well run true boutique hotel.

Room Tip: Argus suites with balcony are great for late afternoon tanning !
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

If you're looking for a true gem of a boutique hotel, off the beaten path but cleverly hidden right beside the historic district, you must check out Seven Terraces. Old world charm, every detail just right, furniture and design with character. Book a suite, it's worth it. Went with three friends over a weekend and we all loved it. The restaurant is fantastic and the service was impeccable - just right, not over the top but very subtly pampering. Great location - you can walk 50 feet and you're in the historic George Town. It's not a budget hotel, but if you're up for a great stay at a gorgeous boutique hotel, this is your place.

Room Tip: Book a suite. Argus is a good suite for two people.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

If you are looking for a place to stay that is an oasis of calm, in heritage settings, and within easy access to all that Georgetown has to offer then really look no further. I stayed here with my husband and parents over the Chinese New Year and we were treated like special guests from the moment we arrived until we left. The restoration work to these old terraces is impressive and has been loving managed by the owners. The rooms are really special; they make you feel like you have gone back in time but with comfy mattresses! The shower is fun too. The pool is perfect for cooling off after sightseeing. The staff and management were exemplary, super nice and extremely helpful (special mention goes to Ewen, Wayne, Faisal, and Dilip!). We enjoyed exploring the heritage of Georgetown which fully deserves it's Unesco World Heritage status; if this is your interest then you won't be diappointed. Try the masala dosa in the evening at woodlands or high tea at Suffolk house. Take your time wandering around the back streets. Whatever you do; stay here!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

What more can I add? I too have been to a few of Karl and Chris' properties this one is truly lovely and you can be sure that it is built from the heart

I think my favorite posting on TA I have seen thus far was from the lady who explained that; 'It's like you are staying in a wing of Le Louvre' keep that in mind but add...

...an absolutely stunning but very comfortable setting where the owners are as available, casually dressed and clearly in love and enjoying right along with their guests the fruits of their work. I love that you can dress to the nines or be at ease in shorts and flip flops

Deco
Ok to be clear, Christophe is a master and his love of Penang & antiques is demonstrated here. Beautifully appointed public spaces and all of the rooms (I stayed in a two-storey one with a terrace) are lovely and with lots of little thoughtful perks like fluffy towels, quality bath products small fridge with juices and cold drinks and about the cutest hot water boiler (kettle) I have ever seen.

A Pretty bathroom with rainshower (very nice touch especially during hot hot humid weather in January) I also loved the candle lit lanterns each night outside the doors of the 18 rooms. Very pretty and oh, so romantic!

Breakfast
I am a hotel owner and lets just say I spent two hours (give or take) each day taking in the ambiance, great coffee, fresh fruits, fresh juice,museli and the like. Ahhhh comfy and excellent products (ps diet started yesterday, yikes)!

Sitting area and wifi
I guess I will leave by just saying this place is so nice I didnt go out much although I was in the very heart of Penang. If I had to do work at least I was happy here and the wifi connection signal was excellent (which I cannot say for the rest of my stay in asia)

The bar
Wow, a nice blend of asia and 'un peu de Sinatra' I loved it

The pool
Also so pretty but didn't use it on this trip as I was too busy eating breakfast and hanging in the loung area

Staff and Service
The most friendly service I have come across in a while; great front desk service, assistance right from the beginning as I booked via internet and again I loved meeting the owners who were also lounging in the comfy sitting area and more than accessible and clearly interested in meeting their clients.

Special thanks to Wayne, Yunn, and I cannot forget the very nice indian gentleman who offered recluse and a glass of cold Chardonnay upon my arrival after the most horrible taxi ride ever Merci :) that was needed and oh so welcome

Definately a must for anyone going to Penang. I highly recommend.

Thanks and a big hug to all of you who made my stay so special. Keep up the good work and be proud of your gorgeous new property.

Room Tip: If you are not fond of stairs try out one of the studios. If stairs are not an issue go for a two s...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
bangkok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Get them while their young, could be the motto for this hotel. 18 suites, a fabulous restaurant, interesting, un-hotel-like architecture, and the perfect location to explore Georgetown made this an ideal choice for us on our short visit to Penang. At this will (hopefully) all stay. But what it made special was the enthusiasm and honest hospitality of the crew.

Room Tip: Suites on the Argus side may be quieter.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed in The Seven Terraces over the weekend in February. We booked this hotel because we had stayed in The Gaulle Fort Hotel, Sri Lanka a year ago, which was belonged to the same owner of Seven Terraces. We had a good time during our stay in Sri Lanka.

We love the design of the hotel. Kudos to the architect to restore the original look of the hotel. Breakfast was good, excellent service, good bed, gorgoues design of the hotel, all these are the small little things that the big brand name lack off.

I will stay at the same hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Seven Terraces? Share your experiences!