“The Perfect Host” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pedal Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in George Town
Pedal Inn
You added Pedal Inn to your Saves list
93 Lorong Macalister, George Town, Penang Island 10400, Malaysia   |
Special Offer
Best Budget Rate in Town!
Ranked #12 of 147 George Town B&B and Inns
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“The Perfect Host”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

I landed in Penang not knowing what to expect and where yo or not to stay.

The previous day I'd spent accidentally in a low budget room in the old town. It's was ok and I guess for the money very reasonable. The following day I met a couple whilst on Penang Hill who recent I go meet Steven at Pedal Inn.

What a great recommendation straight from meeting Steven his friendliness and enthusiasm to help you get the most from your visit to Penang was a welcome to my previous day visiting many other guest houses in the area.

My budget was 3 times higher than that of Pedal Inn but the place was new, very clean,good location and Stevens personality sold it to me. So I took room to myself.

There are a number of small dormitory type rooms 4 or 6 people with shared bathroom facilities and a double room if available. Good AC, lockable storage, clean showers and bathroom all be it shared. The shared facilities were better and cleaner than most the other double rooms with on suite I had visited the day before for 5 times the price.

Steven gave me some advice for a day trip on a scooter and it was advice well received and it made my trip to Penang a memorable one. Also how to get around the city and advice to take bus instead of taxi saving me 15 usd the same as a nights stay.

The guesthouse is geared up for cyclists whether a family holiday or serious touring group and a neighboring bike shop for hire or repairs or buy some new gear is very useful.

If you want somewhere clean, friendly, well located and affordable then this is your place.

Ill be back, next time with my bike.

Tickler

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Our stay in Penang in August wouldn't have been the same if we hadn't booked at Pedal Inn ! We stayed 3 lovely nights in this very charming (and very clean !!!) guesthouse a few minutes away from old George Town. We have unforgettable moments thanks to Steven and Newton who shared with us everything we needed to know on Penang and the malaysian way of life :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Luang Prabang, Laos
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

This guesthouse is wonderful and Steven and Newton are great owners who do whatever they can to make you feel at home and comfortable. The house has been beautifully and tastefully restored, everything is nicely clean and everything works. We loved the little details such as having enough hooks in the rooms and in the showers, hangers and lamps that are working etc.

They have only shared bathrooms but don't let you put off by this fact as it is so clean and there are 4 showers and 4 toilets. It is not really disturbing, even if you are usually not sharing.

Light breakfast is included in the room rate and you get free tea and coffee all day long. Drinking water is also available.

If we're ever back in Georgetown we'll stay there for sure, it is a great place to stay and relax.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Balik Pulau, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I've never stayed in a hostel, but a tight budget for a project in Penang as well as the project requisite of meeting as many people as possible meant a hostel would be the perfect choice. And as it turned out, The Pedal Inn was the perfect choice among hostels.

I had chosen to bring my bicycle with me (carried in my car) as I needed mobility in Penang. The Pedal Inn promised a safe place to park my bike when I wasn't using it, and a cyclist-friendly atmosphere to hang out in, and so it proved.

Steven and Newton who run the place are very warm and friendly and you become friends in the blink of an eye. They're enormously helpful too. And it seems their friendliness rubs off on guests as you make friends with fellow travellers quite easily too.

I liked the fact there was free wifi, there are personal plug points, LED lights and key hooks at each bunk, and the quality of the furniture and furnishing is very good. The aircons worked faultlessly and quietly, the hot water showers were welcome at the end of each day and the proximity to so much of Georgetown's great food and sights was just fantastic. There's a lounge and mini-cafe downstairs for relaxing in and I spent quite a lot of time there doing my work or just mingling with new friends. The decor is pretty and welcoming and there's ample space for you, your bike and your belongings.

If you're looking for the cheapest possible place to stay in, this probably isn't it. But if you want a good balance of price and comfort and with great hospitality thrown in too, then you need look no further.

Room Tip: They may have package deals for families where you might be able to get the whole dorm for your fami...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Klang, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

My previous entry was rejected for god know what reason, but Steven and Newton deserve me to put in effort for a 2nd review here...

The moment I arrived at the guesthouse, I was warmly greeted by Steven as if we were good old buddy. The registration form is probably the most detail I ever fill in. Upon filling up the form, Steven show us around the gh and also to our room. I requested to have a peek at the dorm and he gladly show me as well. Both the private room and the dorm were spotless clean and I later found out that the housekeeping was done by Steven as well. We took the private room and it's definitely value for money with a comfortable bed, the is way too soft for my comfort though. There is a lcd tv in our room so that we can watch the tv in our own privacy.

Later in the evening, we met Newton, another partner of the gh who is also a nice guy to chat and recommended us a few good stall in the New Lane for dinner. At night, the neighbour of the gh came over and watch BWF live in the lounge and had a great chit chat. From our conversation, I learnt a lot about Penang as well as history of our nation Badminton team. I had a great time cheering for Dato Lee for his semifinal together with the neighbor.

The bathroom is located at the ground floor, which is always clean and have a good hot shower. The price of the beverage in the fridge is reasonable. And Steven did made a good egg nest for morning breakfast, at a small price.

The location of the guesthouse is just right out of the heritage zone, which is really quiet at night but a 10 minutes walk will get you to the centre of action for Penang, Penang Road, Kimberly Street and you name it.

All in all, this is another great addition to the abundance of good guesthouse in Penang, and I will definitely recommend this place to all my friends who wants a value for money budget guesthouse in Penang.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed the Pedal Inn, Georgetown for 3 nights in August; and we subsequently extended our stay for 2 nights which is a recommendation in itself. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and we can heartily recommend it.

The proprietors are a lovely couple of guys, very warm and welcoming. They spent ages answering our questions about Georgetown and providing advice about activities, transport, and restaurants which is great because there is a lot to choose from in Georgetown.

We stayed in the private double room so please refer to other reviews if you want information about the dormitory accommodation.

The room was bijou, pleasantly decorated with a comfortable bed and a quiet, efficient air conditioning unit.

The Pedal Inn is located in a quiet street, and we slept exceptionally well throughout our stay. We were the only people there for the first 3 nights, and then a couple of other people stayed in the dorms for the next couple of nights.

If you are thinking of booking, there are a few idiosyncrasies that are worth mentioning; none of which detracted from our stay in any meaningful way.

- Towels are not included with the accommodation, but you can rent for a small charge if required; we just used our own travel towels.
- The accommodation is on the first floor, and the bathroom facilities are all on the ground floor down a steep and quite narrow flight of steps; there are 2 toilets and 4 showers shared between the private room and the 3 dormitories.
- There are no plugs in the sinks, so bring a universal plug for shaving or washing clothes.
- There are no bins in the room, so bring some plastic bags to dispose of rubbish downstairs.
- The self-service breakfast is literally just toast and a pot of jam, so you may prefer to eat out for breakfast if you want something more substantial.
- There is an old-timer – quite deaf - who arrives at around 11pm each night to sleep overnight on guard duty until morning, so the communal area is essentially unavailable after that time.
- There are a handful of mosquitos around the bathroom facilities so make sure you bring some repellant.

The hotel and guesthouse market in Georgetown as a whole is somewhat overpriced and overrated, in my opinion; within that market, the Pedal Inn represents good value. We would definitely stay again if we visited Georgetown.

Room Tip: There is only one private room at the Pedal Inn; if you want it, make sure you book ahead to avoid d...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stayed at the hostel from 8th to 11th Aug. The location is strategically located from my fav hit points: 5 mins walk from Komtar Bus interchange, 7 mins from New Lane (Lorong Bahru) which is also the fantastic food lane, 10 mins from the famous chendol stall along Penang Road, and 3 mins from a massage place. The owners Steven and Newton were really friendly and helpful in providing directions to various destinations. The dorm room is clean, adequate lockers, and the bathroom facilities are clean (plus plus point)

would recommend friends to head over there for their stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
PedalInnPenang, Owner at Pedal Inn, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Thanks very much for your kind words and compliments. Really, our aim is a simple one ie to give our guests an enjoyable stay and we're truly glad that we've accomplished just that. We had a lot of help though as we are blessed indeed to be in a friendly neighbourhood and being centrally located does help our guests in getting around George Town. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and hope to see you again soon
Cheers
Steven

Been to Pedal Inn? Share your experiences!