“A Hidden Gem” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 54 Hotels in George Town
Ipoh
“A Hidden Gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

I first found out about this hotel when a colleague told me about a wonderful dining experience at the mansion ( i will call it a mansion as u dont feel like u r staying at a hotel there). I decided to check out on the Mansion's website &TripAdvisor and read about all the positive comments! I stayed there for a night with my husband and my 2 yo girl.

1st of all, we almost missed the Mansion as the gate is very small and the front of the Mansion is secluded by fence crawlers. As we drove in, the Mansion looked impressive. We were already excited.

The gentleman at the lobby came to our car to get our bags. The reception greeted us by our name as we were the last ones to check in :) The welcome drink was refreshing. We were ushered to our room, Room 8 (the cheapest). Unfortunately the lock malfunctioned. We were immediately given Room 6 which was nearby & unoccupied, to rest. After about 20 minutes there was no response fr them. We called up the reception to ask & they were not sure how long the repair will take as the technician is not from the Mansion. After some hassle & bustle, we were given an option to upgrade to Room 1, which was bigger.

Room 1, was bigger. Unfortunately, we didnt realize that one of the blind was missing! However we were too exhausted to ask for another change. Anyway there were only 8 rooms in the Mansion.

Sounds like there was a rough start, but still, we were impressed w the room & hotel. Nepresso machine, complimentary minibar (drinks & snacks), complimetary dessert for supper, and a whole range of toiletries including a huge bottle of bubble bath which my little girl loved soo much that she didnt wanna go to the pool. I love the tiles in the bathroom and the huge bathtub, They provide H2o spa series toiletries. We could even surf internet on the TV, but it was a bit faulty. Ample of stationery w pretty paper clips. The bed was heavenly! Soft & comfy! Guarantee a good night sleep!

There were 2 eatery at the hotel, The Living Room, which is like a deli, opens till 12 am, & The Dining Room, for fine dining. I have read excellent reviews about both but we did not try as we prefer to go for local Penang food :)

All in all, i love the rooms! Love the Mansion. Will definitely come back IF there's a special deal on the rates :)

Room Tip: Room 6 has a good view of the pool Room 1 is bigger but faces the construction site
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
8RoomsMM, General Manager at Macalister Mansion, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you for your kind compliments despite of all the issues. We sincerely regret to learn that your stay with us had such a bumpy start. We have looked into the issues stated and have done the necessary repairs. We wish to provide only the best for our guests and find it adorable that your little girl enjoyed the bubble bath.

We hope to welcome you back @ Macalister Mansion soon to feel the improvements.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

The service was excellent. The hotel is beautiful. The design of the room is stunning (especially the bathroom). The food was superb. The rooms have everything you need and if not, the staff will help you get it.

The only problem is that there are a few ugly buildings around the hotel, and when you look out beyond the pool you're staring at the road. However, I don't think it's fair to lower my rating due to this as it is beyond the hotel's control.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 7 and loved it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We would like to thank you for your kind compliments. It is true that we are unable to prevent or control the surroundings of our premises and appreciate your thoughtful understanding.

We hope to welcome you back @ Macalister Mansion soon!
George Town, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

It’s rare these days that I find hotels to get too much excited about. Most tend to be either corporate chain establishments with little to endear, increasingly popular boutique hotels, some of which manage to pull the concept off much better than others, or the ‘cheap as chips’ glorified guest houses. All in all, a bit meh. Once in a blue moon however you come across a truly outstanding establishment which really impresses at every level. One example is Macalister Mansion which, for ease of reference and conveniently, is located in Macalister Road, Georgetown, Penang. So why is this hotel special, what makes it really stand out?

Macalister Mansion is housed in a magnificent heritage building which is very befitting to its name. Sweeping in from Macalister Road the driveway can swing you round right outside the front door with ample off-road parking for your car, a godsend in this part of town! As you enter the reception you will immediately be hit by the style of the hotel which flows throughout the establishment (unlike many corporate boxes where the, ahem, ‘style’ comes to an abrupt halt once you go beyond reception), it exudes chic and elegance and yet is done in a very tasteful way which compliments the heritage exterior of the hotel. Spacious, minimalist and tastefully lit, the reception area sets the scene well. The staff are also worth a mention, friendly and welcoming with nothing too much trouble.

Once checked in you will be shown to your room and I have to say that these are probably some of the most beautiful rooms I have ever seen in a hotel, far better, for instance, than some of the (so called) 5 star gilt-heavy glitz that you see in some chain hotels. Spacious, beautifully designed and furnished, with big comfortable beds, large flat screen TVs (some of which spin to allow you to watch the super-size screen in the bath!) and outstanding bathrooms. The beds are superbly comfortable and the rooms quiet!! No thumping discos and adjoining nightclubs here! The rooms alone are enough to warrant a true 5* rating IMO but there is so much more to Macalaister Mansion too.

Without doubt, one of the finest restaurants in Penang is also located at Macalister Mansion. Again, tastefully decorated and appointed, the restaurant is definitely a place to linger with a partner or with friends as you savour some of Penang’s finest cuisine. Under the watchful eye of head chef Lance U’reen the kitchen team produce some truly inspiring dishes with more than a hint of classical French influence fused with a distinctly Asian twist that gives the restaurant its unique appeal. Reasonably priced and with an excellent wine cellar (the restaurant also serves a superb wine-pairing menu) Macalister’s restaurant is a great place to dine, whether or not you are staying at the hotel.

The hotel also hosts its own café, decorated in a fresh and airy ‘garden’ style, the café is open all day until turned midnight and offers a superb range of very reasonably priced dishes, delicacies and cakes for a great mouth-watering lunch, high-tea or supper. The café also serves something which I find increasingly difficult to get these days, good coffee, you know, coffee that TASTES like coffee!!! The café is a superb place to chill, chat and relax as you take a break from exploring town.

Speaking of chilling, also housed within MM is ‘The Cellar’ wine bar, a modern and luxuriously furnished wine bar with an extremely well stocked cellar, a wide range of whiskies and spirits and also specialist imported beers. You can choose to sit at the bar, at one of the tables with high stools (one of which can easily accommodate 8-10 people) or at one of the very comfortable low tables with leather armchairs or sofas, there’s even a sofa in front of flame effect fire that is very cosy. While talking about ‘The Cellar’, it would be remiss not to mention the exceptional cheeseboard here, available in two sizes, the largest costs just RM 35 for a great selections of cheeses, biscuits and accompaniments, great with a glass of your favourite wine and, given the price of imported French cheeses in these parts, exceptionally good value.

Moving on again, the hotel also boasts a very chic ‘Cigar and Champagne’ lounge, nestled near to reception it’s a great place to indulge one of the many fine cigars stocked at MM which I suspect will have something to appeal to even the most hardened connoisseur.

Finally, and moving outside the hotel, despite its very convenient central location, MM boasts a very nice pool area and poolside bar, great if you fancy a cooling dip or an afternoon / early evening (or morning for the ‘early risers’!) relax with a cocktail as the sun goes down, and of course to work up an appetite for the superb restaurant!

I'd have no hesitation in recommending MM and, being a pro photographer, grabbed a few shots while I was there, as they say, a picture paints a thousand words!

Room Tip: Nothing to say really, all the rooms are superb.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
8RoomsMM, General Manager at Macalister Mansion, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
We are delighted by your review and thank you for the compliments and taking the time to write this comprehensive critique. We always appreciate it when our efforts are commended as this raises motivation for our team. The aim is to provide the hospitality of an actual home with personalized service to cater to any needs of our guests. Recently, we launched a bakery section for the Living Room, which you can even order for take-away.

Byron Bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

We decided to pay a visit to Macalister Mansion, believing it was an old mansion that had been opened for public viewing. We had a hard time finding it. It didn’t register on our trusty GPS, next a taxi driver gave us incorrect directions, and finally a nurse on her way home made it her task to lead us there in her vehicle, after getting more directions from a shop
It was all getting a bit much, and we would have given up were it not for the persistence of our guide. On our arrival at the mansion, we were glad we had not given up, as this place is really rather special. The huge bright white walls of the mansion cut a grand impression from the street.

Walking up the driveway we were again impressed by the beautifully landscaped grounds and the pool. It was only when we got to reception did I realize that this was a hotel. I told the receptionist that we had come to see the mansion, and she very obligingly showed us around.

We were dazzled by the clever fusion of modern design within the walls of the original mansion, as you can see from my photos. There is a public bar and a café that can be accessed from the driveway. We didn’t try it out as it was getting late, but we plan to go back and have a coffee there sometime. I would love to stay here but I’m afraid the price tag will be a tad outside of my budget.

Everything looks so new, very clean, with no detail left unattended; a stark contrast to the heritage area of downtown Georgetown. Stay a few days if your pockets are well lined, or just come for a coffee or a beer if not. It’s a unique Georgetown experience not to be missed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
8RoomsMM, General Manager at Macalister Mansion, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time write this review and for your kind compliments. It was a labor of love for the owners to make this mansion and their vision a reality. Do drop by anytime you wish, may it be for breakfast, lunch or tea time in the Living Room, dinner at the Dining Room or perhaps to wind down with a glass of wine, whisky and a cigar at either the Cellar or the Den.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I stayed at the MM for 2 nights. I arrived early and checked in. No problem there - check in was fuss free and I arranged for my bag to be delivered to my room. When I came back in the late afternoon. I collected my key and went up to my room. The electronic key did not work - no problem there as this happens periodically. Unfortunately, the reprogrammed key did not work the second time. It took the counter staff a while to come up as there was only one person manning the reception.

The next morning, I was ready to leave the room and this time the door refused to open. I called the reception and I heard a bit of commotion outside the room. It took about 10 minutes before the electronic lock can be released. Fortunately, the reception recovered quickly and offered to change the room when I returned later that day. I would preferred to have stayed in the same room and avoid repacking but I did not want to be locked in/locked out again.

Upon check out, I was told that the credit card charge taken during check in will be reversed in a week. I found that a little strange since the amount was far more than the amount of my stay and I had to pay a second amount upon check on. Usually the hotel will reverse the initial charge upon check out. The reversal actually took 2 days.

It was also raining heavily at night and I was not able to access cable TV. There was some signs of leakage in some parts of the hotel.

Other than that, the stay was fairly uneventful. Yes, the toilets were probably the nicest part the room. Was it worth the money given that it is probably one of the most expensive hotels in Georgetown? Not really - the hardware and software needs some more work.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
8RoomsMM, General Manager at Macalister Mansion, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
We sincerely regret to learn that your stay at Macalister Mansion did not live up to expectations and that you experienced a lot of inconvenience. It's the rainy season here and this causes very bad reception from the satellite. We have fixed the issues of the door and electronic key. We are also looking into the other matters mentioned and implementing the necessary improvements.

We hope to welcome you back at Macalister Mansion soon to feel the improvements!
Singapore, null, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I stayed at this property for 2 nights from 12th to 14th October in Room 6. While making the hotel reservation some 4 months earlier, I already had high expectations looking the photos of the rooms and the surroundings. I must say that I wasn't disappointed. In fact, almost everything about the hotel exceeded my expectations.

Two days before our scheduled trip, I received a call from the hotel informing us that there will be a wedding event held on our first day there. They were basically worried that the event would affect our privacy. Upon checking in at the hotel (fuss free check-in by the way), the hotel staff offered us a complimentary 3-course set lunch for the potential 'inconvenience' caused by the wedding event. Talk about customer care and service! That was a good start to the trip.

Throughout the duration of the stay, we were pampered by the excellent facilities within the room. The pillow and bedding were quality (they have a pillow menu), and the toilet is among the best I have ever come across. There are 2 separate sinks, a bath tub and enclosed WC and shower areas. The toilet is probably bigger than my bedroom back home! In addition, all the snacks and drinks in the room, including the minibar, are complimentary and topped up daily. They include TWG tea bags, Nespresso capsules and San Pellegrino flavoured water. My complain is everything about this place was so awesome that my fiance refuses to go out!

The complimentary breakfast is also excellent. Rather than the run-of-the-mill buffet styled fare, the breakfast menu is a small list of about 6-8 mains of local and western fare. While the selection is not extensive, the quality is guaranteed. Breakfast on both days were excellent.

To top it all, the service in the hotel was fantastic, without being intrusive. The daily turn down service sure is a nice touch, and the staff never failed to attend to my needs.

My only true gripe was that even though the room had a 46" smart TV and wireless keyboard provided, the poor internet/TV network throughout my stay (probably due to rain?) meant that I couldn't utilize them during the nights. This is something that the hotel can probably work on.

All in all, I would say that this was one of my most enjoyable hotel stays. The price may be on the high side by local standards, but you pay for what you get.

Room Tip: All the rooms look great!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
8RoomsMM, General Manager at Macalister Mansion, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you very much for your compliments and expressive review. It is our trademark to provide our guests with personalized service. In addition, we endeavor to protect the privacy of our guests. Every little detail counts into making the day a good one, including a warm, hearty breakfast.
We will look into the matter of the connectivity and network.

New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

If you're going to Georgetown I'm guessing you're probably there to browse the historic sights and eat street food, so it would take something pretty special for you not to stay in the heart of the heritage district in one of the newly-renovated shop-house hotels (plenty well-ranked here on Tripadvisor) or the luxury spots along the waterfront.

Well Macalister Mansion is that special. Everything about it (with the slight exception of the swimming pool - more on that later) is stunning. I was in Room #5 - the cheapest I think - and I was simply gobsmacked upon walking into the room. For the first time in my experience the room was actually better - way better - than the admittedly impressive pictures on the website. It is huge. It is amazingly designed. The lighting (a weird thing to mention I know) was extraordinary. I've stayed at a lot of high-end places and this I think was the best room I've ever stayed in. The bath! The two showers! Everything about it is a design triumph.

But it's not just the room that was so impressive, it was the level of pampering. At MM they go out of their way to make your every whim feel catered for. Some examples: the (very good) welcoming drink. The personalised stationary in the room (very cool!). Free juices in the fridge (refilled daily) and free water bottles all over the place. Free snacks (chocolate, chips, bars, etc) in the room (refilled, natch). Free Nespresso machine in the room (refills refilled daily). 2 groovy little cakes left in the room with each night's turndown. Complementary breakfast (and a good one at that, not just tea and toast). Excellent toiletries and great bubble bath (I know, but it was a bit more pampering). The pillow menu. 2 x 46 inch TVs with Blu-ray player (DVD and Blu-ray movies free at reception). Lots of little touches like...

...well here's a very small one that I thought spoke to the care and attention - in Room #5 where I was there are two twin beds. I was on my own. The first night during turn-down service they put out a little mat and 2 slippers next to one of the beds. I happened to use the other bed. From the next night on the slippers appeared by that bed.

Beyond that the staff were consistently helpful and ready to be helpful, from reception to the restaurants to the bars. With only 8 rooms there aren't a lot of guests (I didn't see any others) and the staff are there but unobtrusive (I never saw anyone cleaning or doing turndown in the rooms). The wine bar is very impressive with a 3 for 2 happy hour from 5pm to 7pm, making for very affordable wine by the glass (some good stuff too). The Den (whisky) was also cosy and elegant but I'm not a fan so I stuck to the Cellar. Great range of cigars too and knowledgeable service.

The two restaurants are excellent in different ways. The Living Room does a mix of local and European and is remarkably cheap for the quality. The Dining Room is fine dining and interestingly adventurous. I had the full degustation, most of which was very good and the less good bits were at least aiming for something. I'd eat there again in a flash, though I think the lights need to be a bit brighter to appreciate the colours of the food (a pet peeve of my pedantic mind, sorry).

Check-in and check-out couldn't have been more efficient, taxi to the airport ordered, and when I checked later in the day that it had been - being a bit paranoid - a different receptionist immediately said, without looking it up even, "yes the taxi's been booked for 9.30". They're onto it.

Talking taxis, it's about a half hour drive from the airport which costs 45 ringit. That's probably the only taxi run that actually uses meters (despite the signs on the side of many taxis) so, for anything else, agree a price before you start. To the heritage area is 5 minutes. It it's round town it'll be 10 - 20 ringit (i.e. not much) and it hardly seems reasonable to argue over a couple of ringit with people who obviously don't make a whole lot of money. 12? 15? Who cares? (BTW, since it's new a lot of drivers don't know the MM). But Jalan Macalister is a one-way street at that point and it's the white building on the left with a terracotta-coloured roof. Once you've seen it it's easy to identify for the taxi drivers and if you look left on Jalan Macalister you really can't miss it.) Also, if you want a cab, head to a hotel or shopping centre - they're a bit hard to flag down.

The only downside to MM is the pool, if you really want to swim. It's a bit near the road and there's a tall building being constructed next door (I didn't have any noise problems in my room - don't know about the others). It doesn't make for a very conducive atmosphere for swimming (though it's regularly cleaned and has a bar, etc). But that's the way it is and there's nothing can change it (the construction looks like it'll take a while). If your main plan is swimming, go somewhere else; I wasn't planning to so didn't care.

And - excuse the length here but I've got a few tips.

If you are in Penang for local food then remember there's quite a lot within walking distance of the hotel. Not the famous night markets but some damn fine stuff nonetheless. But you need to brave the notorious Penang pavements for 5 - 10 minutes. Seriously, these are not pavements in any strict sense of the word and the cars are close. But it looks and feels more dangerous than it is. (I wouldn't recommend doing this walk with small kids, unless they are a) brave, or b) well insured.)

Head left out of the hotel along Jalan Macalister. Nothing to see for about 500m. Then after the first intersection things appear. Another hundred metres and there are food stalls/courts of all varieties on both sides of the road. There's a particularly good one on the corner of Jalan Rangoon (on the left) but there are many, climaxing in the New Lane food centre which is open late every night (I forget the road but it's on the right just after Jalan Madras (which is on the left). A hundred metres down Jalan Madras there are more stalls, mainly vegetarian and offering food a bit different from the usual suspects.

Also, if you happen to be a fan of Sichuan food (not the most obvious thing for Penang I know), there are two Sichuan restaurants in walking distance. Da Ban is closest (I've forgotten the street already - it's on the left again) but I found the flavours muted and the cooking a bit sloppy. However... down Jalan Madras is Red Chillis Wok Restaurant which isn't as nicely decorated but will blow your mouth off with fantastic authentic Sichuan flavours and leave your lips tingling in pleasure (and that little bit of pain!). It rocks.

OK. There we go. Penang was a blast and the Macalister Mansion is brilliant. Can't recommend it highly enough. (Sorry about the length of this.)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
We are thrilled and thank you for your kind compliments and comprehensive review. The owners did indeed put a lot of love and care into the designs of Macalister Mansion and all the little details that gives it that extra special touch, including the personalized service. We are always delighted when our guests had an enjoyable and memorable stay.

We hope to welcome you back at Macalister Mansion soon!

Been to Macalister Mansion? Share your experiences!