“Don't do it !!!” 2 of 5 stars

Sydney
24 attraction reviews
“Don't do it !!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

If you have never done a food tour I am sure you would find this one ok. I have done about 5 around Asia and believe me this one sucked!!! This was so disappointing as I was so looking forward to Penang so much ........ the best place in Malaysia to eat, the home of so many of my favourite dishes. So ok why did it suck? We got picked up right on time and made our way over to the market for breakfast. Every stop you make you get like 3 choices of where to go. Not really my thing as well ............ I have never been here before so you tell me! I could see where they were going by giving you a choice of what you feel like but for me it all looked good so what do I do? We arrive at the market and the guide seemed pretty nice, showed us 2 choices of what we should get and then disappeared. We were kind of standing around for a bit wondering if he was just showing us something or if we should go ahead. Finally I decided to just get it as he was no place to be seen. The 2 choices were great and he re-appeared after about 15 min later. I thought we are off to a decent start, that's where it all kind of ended. From here on out he would just drop us off at places and I mean drop!! "Oh sorry, nowhere to park the car. Just walk down that road 5 min you see historical sight". I mean seriously, sometimes he would just drop us off in front of a hawker center and be like "many good food inside, you go try" Sooooooo what do I need you for ??? You think I can't find a hawker center? Then there was the waiting in the boiling sun. Everytime he dropped us off he would say "meet back here at 2" ......... 2:10..... 2:20 .......2:30 oh there you are!! Seriously had the laws in Malaysia not been so strict I would have killed him. He offered no information and was constantly sneaking off to smoke and call someone. If you have never been on these type of tours you might think it was a good day out, nice food and a driver but trust me go on the KL one with Charles or the Hong Kong one with Ski and you will think this is a joke. The worst food tour ever and Rasa I hate you so much for it as you took one of the food capitals of the world and ruined it for me.

• Indonesian first
Siem Reap, Cambodia
15 attraction reviews
“Outstanding tailormade tour with a gem of a guide.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

As I was visiting penang on my own, i decided I would book a half day private tour through the Rasa malysia website as they were advertsing a Foodie tour which sounded perfect for me. CK answered all my questions over email and was very efficient in emailing over an itinerary well in advance of my arrival. He picked me up bang on time form my hotel as well andwe discussed the specific interests I had and what I wanted to do on teh trip. As i was staying in Chinatown and coudl easily navigate that myself on foot, we started at the amazing market at Pulau tikos where i tried curry mee (outstanding) and a Ying yang Kopi (tea/coffee mixed together) and was introduced to the market stall holders and made a few small purchases. From here we drove to a soya sauce boutique factory where i saw the sauce being made 9amazing!) and then onto teh south of teh island, with CK giving me local information on all matter of things enroute. Here we stopped to see durians growing, as well as a nutmeg farm before we stopped off for an amazing lucnh of nutmeg juice and assam/coconut laksaa speciality of the hakka village we were in. Before heading home we still had time see production of sambal belacan as well as a huge buddhist temple where i made a small donation to add wishing ribbons to the wishing tree, again with CK explaining everything. I coudl not have asked fro a better guide. he was charming, courteous, well informed and friendly - he really made my stay and left em witha load of places to eat over teh rest of my stay. I cannot recommend this tour higly enough, unmissable for anyone visiting penang.

Bandung, Indonesia
39 attraction reviews
“Taste like at HEAVEN !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

The Cullinary at Penang its so amazing, every day we looking char kuay teow, red bean ice, rojak pasembor, sotong rojak,nasi kandhar etc...we falling in love with this food at this island.

You can try so many various culinary in here, the taste of kuay teow its different with Indonesia or Singapore.

Visited December 2012
Perth, western Australia
“Great way to see & taste Penang.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I'm really sad ebauer79 had a bad experience because ours was just the opposite.
CK organised a full day trip experiencing Georgetown, an evening dinner & sights tour & a full day trip of Penang for four of us. All this was extremely reasonably priced & enabled us to see Heritage buildings, visit markets & taste great food that we would never have found otherwise. Penang has so many delights that if we return I would arrange for CK to organise another tour to fit in some of the things we missed out on.
Alec was our guide on all three days & we felt we had a friend. He was always on time, always patient & what's not to like about being driven every where in an air conditioned mini bus.
I would thoroughly recommend CK's tours to anyone wanting a combined culinary & cultural overview of Penang.

ebauer79
6 attraction reviews
“DO NOT FOR ANY REASON BOOK A TOUR WITH THIS HORRIBLE COMPANY”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I have been a trip advisor member for many years and this the first time that I have had any reason to give such a negative review. I would normally avoid doing anything that could hurt someone's business but, in this case, it is absolutely warranted, as Penang Culinary Tours was the most negative experience of our 3 week vacation.

I began emailed with CK Low, who I presume is the owner of this company, a month or so before our vacation. He was quick to reply and provided a lot of good information about his tours. After several emails back and forth, we booked a December 30th tour with him. I reconfirmed right before we left the U.S. for the beginning of our trip and he again confirmed that his driver, Mr. Jack, would pick us up at our hotel at 9AM on the 30th (and he provided Mr. Jack's phone number).

Mr. Jack was nowhere to be found on the morning of the 30th. We had our hotel's concierge call him and Mr. Jack was unaware of an appointment that CK Low had booked for him. We got on the phone with Mr. Jack and he said that he would call CK and then call us back. We never heard back from him. We then left a message for CK, but never heard back from him either (we left him the name and number of the hotel). You can imagine how disappointed we were in all of this.

We were, however, fortunate enough to get a driver/tour guide for the day through our hotel. We were extremely happy with our knowledgable guide, Vejay. He actually took us to some great places to eat, along with a tour of much of the city. I can imagine that his tour was as good if not better than Penang Culinary Tour. It was also less expensive. I would highly encourage avoiding a tour with Penang Culinary Tour and instead book a tour for less money with Vejay. His information is as follows:
cvejayan@yahoo.com