“Hmm, maybe Its worth a visit” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian, Asian fusion, Malaysian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Langkawi, Malaysia
“Hmm, maybe Its worth a visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Hi all. First of all I don'nt want to be judgmental. But I have been to China house many times before and I went just recently. First of all, its a beautiful setting. Second, there is plenty of Cakes to choose from. Third, its overpriced, but the crowd is overwhelming. Fourth, its extremly over priced. Fifth, the quality of the cakes are not that great for the price A small example. They have this tiramisu for 15- 13 rm. I am a chef and we all know abt tiramisu. There are two components to a fine tiramissu. One is Mascarpone cheese. Second is coffe soaked Lady finger biscuits. The tiramisu in the china house has a sponge cake that is barely soaked in coffee, but I commend them for atleast using the Mascarpone cheese. Then came the Peach and ginger cake. It was a hard wood like thing and I felt I was eating into the hard sponge of my sofa. And this was surprisingly 10 rm. Its not the money. But the quality I am really worried about. I had this burger there once. Not impressed for 26rm. Well its a good ambience to sit with a girl whom you want to woo.. then all these critisism won't be there la.....But all said, the china house is still worth a visit and pls go around the place. Its done well..cheers....

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Excellent!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

Ate here with my husband last night and both of us were surprised by this restaurant.
The interieurs was a mixture of an old classic chinese house and a modern bar.
We had the Mezze as a starter ,which is enough for two persons, very good! Home made bread and a vatiety of arabian dip sauces.
Main course also very nice; mixed grill, also with hints of the Marocan/Tunesian kitchen.
Not to forget the impressive buffet of home made cakes and pies!
Highly reccomended!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
nsw
“Love this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

So after a rather disappointing Christmas dinner somewhere else we literally stumbled upon china house. I was delighted as this was on my to do list. I simply love this place. From the amazing collection of art to all the nooks and crannies. The cakes are wonderful and the wine, cocktail and to my husband's absolute delight whiskey list are top notch. The venue is worth it even if you just stop in for a coffee or drink.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Oregon
“3 meals here in 5 days, guess we loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Yum! Not only will sweet tooth's be in heaven with the 10' table of homemade sweets but those that enjoy a great meal will too! Made up of several areas or atmospheres including a cafe, fine dining restaurant, wine bar, art gallery and did I mention jazz bar?! The bar at the back was an extra surprise and comprised one of the best and most eclectic mixes of people I've seen in awhile. We ate dinner here two nights in a row. I have dreams about the carrot cake, tomato soup and salad. Make a reservation. China House is well known and worth it!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Penang Island, Malaysia
“My favourite restaurant in Penang!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Have been going to the China House since last year (when I arrived in Penang) and the quality has always been consistent. The service almost always excellent (sometimes there are so many patrons that slight delays can occur, but the staff are most pleasant and helpful and efficient) . The choice of food and new combinations are a delight - as from time to time I like to get back to more Western food. And besides the main course dishes, the cakes and ice creams are to kill for !!! And the choice !! And not only is a restaurant, with a beautiful garden where you can sit - by a pond, there is live music on the week ends at the other end - in the pub and an art gallery on the first floor !
China House's success makes the people there work very hard indeed, but the constant quality and patrons coming back for the delicious food is proof of the pudding !

Visited March 2013