“A nice place in town” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Guest Inn Muntri

Save Saved
You added Guest Inn Muntri to your Saves list
Guest Inn Muntri
2.0 of 5 Guest house   |   17 Muntri Street, Georgetown, Penang Island 10200, Malaysia   |
Ranked #47 of 101 Georgetown B&B and Inns
Poole, United Kingdom
“A nice place in town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I stayed in the four bed dorm and although it was spotlessly clean and had air conditioning it was still a little bit too cramped for my liking. The whole place is really clean and the breakfast good. The staff were really friendly and helpful. A nice place in a good location in a quiet side street.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

91 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Vienna, Austria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I spent 3 days in Georgtown and had a room at this place. The room was ok. No window. As I did a lot of outdoor activity it was ok. The bathroom could have been more clean as I found some old cigarette on the basin. Sheets and towels were clean.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dipolog City, Dipolog, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Rooms and toilets are clean. Staff are provides excellent service and they're so friendly. I had a very nice stay, i was in a dormitory room unfortunately i dont have any room mates but thats just another silly idea. hahaha

www.wanderfulasia.blogspot.com

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed in Guest Inn Muntri on 10 Nov 2013, for a day trip and 1-night stay in Georgetown. We booked the whole room of the Dorm bed room and also a Standard double room.
The Dorm room have 2 double deckers bed inside. My four male friends all stay in this dorm room, and they find the dorm room's condition is good, but just the space is small ( and imagine if you're shared this dorm room with other Strangers, how hard it could be...?), and one of the safety deposit box inside the dorm room are no functioning ( The receptionist said no key for the safety deposit box, so we assumed the safety deposit box is for Decoration purpose only? Hmm...
My lady friend and I was staying in Standard double room, becoz I have requested for twin beds, so we got this twin bed room in upstairs. The twin room is very good, air-conditioning is very strong enough & comfortable, and the cleanliness is very good in the room.
This Guest inn does not have attached bathroom, all must use the Shared bathrooms, luckily they have around 12 bathrooms/toilets, and all of them have hot shower. All of the toilet/bathroom have maintained very clean.
One thing made me feeling surprise about this guest inn is- They paid very good attention on those small & details things, such as their decorations, the breakfast bar, and even the small stuff like the Coffee Mugs. The inn coffee mugs are all in one same categories, and all in nice colors, they make me feel they have been chosen to matched with the inn' theme decorations. ( Not that kind of plastic cups simply can buy from supermarket) I wonders the owner must be very keen & paying attention on those small details in the inn. I would said i like their coffee mugs so much ( even thinking that request one to take home ha~).
We will coming back for this inn again, for the location wise, they are near to many local famous eateries & street foods too.

Overall the guest inn is very good to stay, However there are a lots of mosquitoes around the guest inn, even inside the rooms. We have requested the mosquitoes spray with the receptionist, however the reception does not response to us on this. The bathrooms/toilets even worsen, just stay inside for 5 minutes, hands and legs already got full of mosquitoes bites. We have no choice, got to go out and buy the mosquitoes spray back to the guest inn and spray it inside the room ( Otherwise I am sure than we will not have a good night sleep in the inn.) We just curious that such a clean hotel like this, how come have so many mosquitoes?? Where have these mosquitoes come from?

Room Tip: Just remember to bring your own Mosquitoes Spray or anything that works in kill mosquitoes! So it wo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed in 3 diffrent places in Penang and this was the one we liked the most.

The location is perfect in the middle of Gerorgetown but not in a main road. You can do everything by feed. The staff was very friendly and helpfull and there was always a nice and chilling atmosphere in the reception area. They have some nice rattan chairs and tables outside, near the reception and on the first floor so you can have seat, a coffee and chat to other travellers. Coffee and Tea is free the whole day, furthermore there is a little breakfast included. For me very important: Breakfastime is until 11 am. So they have a heart with people who like to sleep a little bit longer!

Our room was simple but very cosy. A really nice and comfy bed a table and the best was the light. They had a bright light in the room and and very cosy soft light for the evening. The floor is very nice too - wooden like the whole place. The room was about 69 MYR.

As far I know, there are only shared bathroom facilities. The bathrooms are new and have moderns style with hot water and there was always a free bathroom when you need one. Towels are provided in every room.

The place is very clean.

All in all we are very happy that we have found this new palce: Atmosphere, staff, rooms, area ... everything was great. We would always stay again at Guest Inn Muntri.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I spent three nights in this hostel, set in an old-shop house newly renovated. It was quite difficult to find a single room in Penang and within the city centre, and this hostel sounded good, nice and right to the price as for 45 RM included also free breakfast, free wifi and free coffee/water all day.
In fact when I saw the room I was a bit shocked as it was just a box-room with a single bed, a desk and a little stool...but to my surprise there was no window, so it feels quite claustrophobic!
In addition my room was on the ground floor near the shower, so all night I could hear people walking above my room and people showering and also screaming or talking as very close to the reception area. I did not sleep well, as the walls are made of cardboard...not insulation at all. I was even woken up in the afternoon (after a sleepless night I had to sleep somehow) by a couple talking very loudly across the reception-room and when I reported this to the guy at reception he told me he could not say anything as they were clients! but he did not care I was a client also and telling people not to talk so loudly it is a matter of respect!

The toilet/shower room: this must have been conceived by a very ingenous architect as although new, it was permanently flooded due to the fact the shower is hanging above the toilet! why they cannot built the shower head at the end of the bathroom separated by a curtain? this will avoid swimming all the times you go to the toilet.

On the last note: I booked first two nights and then when I realized I was arriving late in Penang I sent an email to extend my stay an extra night. I NEVER got a reply and after 24hI had to book another room through hostelbookers and paying again 2 USD service fee. This was not good customer service, what if I had to announce I had to cancel my booking? why they have an email if they never reply?

Breakfast is only coffe/tea, toasts and some eggs which are never hard boiled!

Location is very good and the owner was nice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for nearly one week with a group. Good thing I had the single room which is very small but has comfy bed. They have good internet connection and flowing coffee and tea. The common area is a good hangout place. The staff are very friendly and accommodating. Location is very strategic - within the historic Georgetown and close to hawker shops.

The only drawback are the toilets. I noticed that during my entire stay toilets were rarely cleaned. Since they combine both shower and toilet in a single cubicle, they are always wet and musty. Make sure you bring your own toilet cleaner if you're too keen on hygiene.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Guest Inn Muntri? Share your experiences!