“Time to upgrade the breakfast quality” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Northam All Suite Penang

Save Saved
You added The Northam All Suite Penang to your Saves list
The Northam All Suite Penang
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   55, Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah, Georgetown, Penang Island 10050, Malaysia   |
Ranked #21 of 51 Hotels in Georgetown
Bangkok, Thailand
“Time to upgrade the breakfast quality”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

The family room is spacious and comfortable so stay and the hotel is strategically located at Gurney drive - 1 of the famous tourist spot in Penang.

I don't really have anything to complain except on the buffet breakfast as i felt the variety of food are considered quite limited considering the hotel has easily more than 300 guest rooms

Also, i personally think that the staffs' service are not 100% professional as the check in and check out process could be quite time consuming

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
NorthamMIS, General Manager at The Northam All Suite Penang, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear BC Y,

The Northam All Suite Penang

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Polish first
singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My friends and I checked into the Junior and Deluxe Family 2 Bedroom Suite from Fri 26 to Sun 28 July 2013. I occupied the family suite the suite was very spacious and clean and upon checking the guest toilet could be flushed. The suite was very poorly maintained. The hair drier in one of the rooms was not working, I had to go over to the other room every time I need to dry my hair. The door bell was not working. The bedroom slippers were soaked in water. The water in the Jacuzzi could not be retained and I wasted my good bottle of bath salts. There was no hand and face towels, the light at the dressing table could not be turned off, I finally got maintenance at 1am to remove the bulb.
The coffee house supervisor (who was a chinese) was not happy to serve us. He had a sulky face with no greeting and he was unhappy when I told him that the half boiled eggs he had prepared for me was uncooked. The staff uniform was tattered and torn and it was a pathetic site. The staff at the coffee house had no service atticate. I asked her for an extra chair and she replied that they were all occupied when the coffee house was practically empty.
I am deeply disappointed as I had such high thoughts of this hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms that we occupied had a very good view from all corners of the suite.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Regina,

New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We arrived at this hotel around 11pm and the first thing I noticed was the smell of mold. That wet smell. The desk people were very polite. I went to my room and you can see the mold on the ceiling. And the smell. I changed rooms. The people were very nice. the bed was a mattress on a wooden frame and there was no water. No magnified mirror for shaving. No bottled water.
Went to eat dinner and all I had was the fries. Not very good.
Need to upgrade this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear ScopeDRK,

Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

This older hotel is well located, between historic Georgetown and Gurney Drive and its shopping and restaurants. You can easily get a cab to both places but you could walk to Gurney Drive, but it is a rather hot walk.
The room we had was a big 1 bedroom apartment, with a powder room and entrance area, a lounge room & TV (reception wasn't great though), a study area, a bedroom with a large comfortable bed and another small TV with a huge bathroom attached (with separate toilet and shower, twin vanities & spa bath). I would call it colonial style decor with modern touches. The rooms were showing their age a little and some things didn't work as well as they should, but they had a charm about them. The apartment was very well-equipped and the views of the sea and coast were sensational.
There is a lovely lap pool on the 9th floor , positioned right on the edge looking down on sweeping bay views, with nice sea breezes. On this floor there are also spa services. The hotel also has a Gym but I didn't see it.
Breakfast was quite nice with a fair selection of western and Asian food. They leave you a newspaper outside every morning.
The lobby has comfy cane chairs to sit on and ceiling fans which give it that Penang island feel.
The staff were very pleasant and helpful. I did have a problem with my room safe not opening on the day I was due to leave but when I alerted them they sent someone up to fix it immediately (I think it was the battery).
There are lots of little restaurant and cafes located behind the hotel (but they are closed on Mondays) and there a re some on the seafront across from the hotel also. You can also walk across the road to a small beach, at the start of Gurney drive. A very pleasant area to walk around.
Overall a very good stay and I would use the hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Globerwalker,

We thank you for your comments and glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to Welcoming You again to The Northam All Suite Penang.

Taiping, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night in June 2013. We took a junior suite and it was fantastic and very spacious! The junior suite had a lounge area with its own television, as well as a working area (writing desk) and a tea and coffee station. The bedroom area had its own television. The bathroom was spacious with double sinks, a standing shower, one toilet, a jacuzzi (great jacuzzi!) and a big closet, which contained a safe, ironing board, iron, hangers, slippers and bathroom scale. The window between the bathroom and bedroom is only covered by a blind, so you can lift it up and watch television from the jacuzzi. The windows in the bedroom area and lounge area were huge and we had a wonderful view of the ocean. This is a beautiful hotel with a classy retro touch!

The staff at the hotel were very courteous. The check-in and check-out was very quick (we even got to check in slightly earlier).

The rates included breakfast. There was a wide selection of Western-style and Malaysian-style food.

The only negative about this hotel is that the passages of the non-smoking floors occasionally smelt of cigarette smoke.

I would have loved to stay another night, but the next evening was fully booked. Will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea-facing room on a high floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Leila_Jansen,

We look forward to Welcoming You again to The Northam All Suite Penang.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

This hotel is great for people who want to get away from the crowd. It is not too far from Gurney Drive hawker food, you can get a cab or enjoy a slow walk along the shady coastal road. There are nice eateries along the way if you choose to try them. There is a foot reflexology place midway along the way if you need to relax your tired legs after a whole day of sightseeing. The hotel is clean and quiet, the infinity pool on the 9th floor is a perfect place to relax and enjoy the sea view. For supper, just head across the road to the Northam Beach cafe to enjoy a wide range of local food at a good price. You can arrange for a cab at the front desk, the rate is fair so there is no fear of a ripoff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with sea view if you want to catch the sunrise.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
NorthamMIS, General Manager at The Northam All Suite Penang, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear John Wong,

We are glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and Gurney Drive is just Next Road to us.

We look forward to Welcoming You again.

Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

First impression - the hotel room was HUGE. This is the largest hotel room I've stayed in for only 100usd... so worth it! Frankly, we were worried after reading some negative reviews about service/it being run-down, but still decided to try it out and loving it now!

Soooo many things we liked about it other than the size:
1. DECO - some say it's dated, I'd say it's charming. We love the rattan furniture and peranakan-style ceiling fan. The bathroom was grand with the marble tiles, double sinks and jacuzzi. By the way, the jacuzzi worked well and is rather spacious for two... EXCEPT for some tiny black particles from the water vent. Time to clean the pipes!

2. BED - Huge too. Well we didn't realize it was made up of two super singles until the 2nd day when we flipped the sheets. I guessed the thick and comfy sheets did their job.

3. VIEW - everyday's sunrises were so beautiful through the full-glass windows. We could see the full stretch of the sea. There was a traditional but locked house between the hotel and the sea. We checked it out, and discovered that it was the "Penang house" of the Sultan of Kedah! WOW.

4. POOL - this was one of the few hotel pools I wanted to visit every morning. Infinity pool to a gorgeous view from the 9th floor with constant sea breezes that made me feel like I was swimming in the sea. Love it.

5. LOCATION - walkable to Gurney, Ivy's Peranakan Kitchen, Northam Beach Cafe. Did anyone mention it yet? Northam Beach Cafe's just 100 metres opposite the hotel. It's an open-air coffee shop place size of a football field, and it was cooler than the famous Long Beach Cafe at Batu Ferringhi - with more variety of food and directly along the sea... you can't enter the sea though, it's a few metres down!

6. SERVICE - had to wait to get the room I wanted (highest floor for non-smoking, king bed, corner). Waited an hour at the lounge (1 to 2pm), and the staff, Masrini, was nice to offer me other rooms during the hour, but I insisted. In the end she got me the room I wanted. Think their problem was that their housekeeping can't cope (clean fast enough) with their full capacity. Full capacity - that kinda means they are pretty popular?

Didn't try the breakfast though... Penang has too many nice foods to waste a meal eating hotel food. Head out for the real good Penang food, people!

Room Tip: Anything above 30th floor. Non-smoking. And get that Junior Suite for just 10usd more per night...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear maryyeo,

I am so happy to read about many things you liked and enjoyed during your stay in our Northam All Suite Hotel.

Our Huge Bedroom, our Rattan Furniture, Peranakan-style Ceiling Fan, Double Sink and Jacuzzi, Bathroom, Huge bed, Beautiful Sunrise from the room through our full glass window and opposite our hotel, the Penang House of the Sultan of Kedah.

You enjoyed our swimming pool at the 9th floor and the convenient location of our hotel.

Now, the GM would like to meet you and Thank You during your next stay with us.

The Northam All Suite Penang

Been to The Northam All Suite Penang? Share your experiences!