“Stay only if really desperate and there's not even a BnB place in Penang” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Northam All Suite Penang

You added The Northam All Suite Penang to your Saves list
The Northam All Suite Penang
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   55, Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah, George Town, Penang Island 10050, Malaysia   |
Ranked #24 of 54 Hotels in George Town
“Stay only if really desperate and there's not even a BnB place in Penang”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Am so frustrated with the place that I'm writing this review just after checking out whilst I wait for my cab at the lobby... wonderful photographs on the internet are what drove me to book a room here and that says a lot about the photographer ...the hotel on the other hand sucks big time..big rooms are all that it has ...everything else is lack luster,run~down ...and that includes staff and the service they provide.Food on the breakfast buffet is cold but a bit warmer than the service provided at the hotel.. No room service menu in the junior suite..I had to call reception only to be told they offered fried rice/noodles/porridge and fruit platter...4 items on an oral room service menu for a room I paid 238RM per night for?? No toothpaste...1face towel...bathroom slippers available on request..and smiles from staff...non existent.
Being a hotelier myself for over a decade, it's just shocking to see the levels of service out there....I've stayed in backpacking joints on remote islands in Malaysia and have received better service .I can sit here all day extracting every single degrading word in the dictionary to portray my frustrations with the hotel, but I have other more important things to do A word of advice to readers of this review,please stay away if you want basic service ...there's a BnB right opposite charging 60RM that I can bet, offers value for money ...thanks for reading .

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Polish first
KL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

The first impresion when i going in the room is such as "woow.." because with this kind of money we paid and the room we get is totally 100% worth of it..
Our rooms have a separate living room, the view of the room is overlooking the sea and it was fantastic.
The toilet also was amazing. It was huge with 2 wash basins so you wont have to fight for it in the morning. There is also this amazing Jacuzzi and it works very well and also there is shower and a separated cubicle for the toilet.
Rooms are very clean and the aircond is working extremely well.
The other thing is their Pillow and TV ! The pillow is TOO soft! No neck support at all and their TV is only 14 inch and out fashion.
Other than two of this, i would recommend for this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I was not exactly suprised by the space of the room as it was stated in the web. The suite is only luxurious in the space, everything else is normal or even mediocre. While it is clean, it has a dated overall. On checking in, I was told there were only city view which surprises me as I paid for an Ocean view room. I highlighted that I paid for an ocean view room and was promptly given one... Breakfast has varied choices along very standard quality.Staff are generally helpful and speaks good English, which is common in Malaysia. The hugh king bed can sleep 3 persons comfortably!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

This hotel is certainly value for the money; big room (suite) with the usual amenities, plus a living room, 2 toilets and a jacuzzi thrown in.....what else can we ask for. However, with the price we paid, the basic services are adequate; please do not expect and compare with the usual 5 star hotels. As the hotel is about 15 years old, do not expect the property to be in tip top state as compared to the newer hotels in Penang. There will be the usual wear and tear but is relatively clean and in working condition. Although the hotel is in the town, I would recommend having a rental car when staying in this hotel. The attractions, though near, are not in walking distance from the hotel.
In conclusion, I feel that this hotel will certainly be appropriate for the regional and local travellers. I would stay in this hotel when I visit Penang again.

Room Tip: I told the staff during check-in that I have read reviews for poor quality rooms and request them to...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I've stayed in Northam almost every time I had to travel to Penang in the past four years. The first time I stayed there, I was largely impressed by the spacious rooms. For the price, it's value for money. The staff are also very friendly and helpful.

However, my grudge with this hotel is that they don't seem to care about the state of the property itself anymore. The walls are too thin that you can hear what people in the other room are talking about. Some of the rooms really smell bad. I think I demanded to be transferred to a different twice in the past. The sheets are also not so white anymore so sometimes you're quite unsure if they even change it. The iron and the ironing board left a stain and ruined my shirt (okay, this was partly my fault because I didn't check if the iron was clean but of course, when you're in a hotel you'll expect everything to be working right). Some of the furnitures are also quite dusty. I really wish the management will pay more attention to making sure the property is in tiptop shape. It's really a shame because this hotel can really be great with its views and the size of its rooms.

The breakfast spread is very limited but if you happen to have lunch in the cafe, I think that's a better value.

But then again, I think this is already considered a good hotel in Georgetown and after staying in Evergreen Hotel, I definitely have to agree.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Banbury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

This was a lovely hotel with nice large suites, even at basic level. Beds very comfortable and showers wonderful. Breakfast was good and with lots of choice. Location is good, being near all major local things.

• Stayed October 2012
Ipoh, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife and I needed a getaway bad, so I booked the Junior Suite for 2 nights here. The location is excellent if you brought a car, just 5 minutes' drive from Gurney Drive and a short drive away from all the popular eateries in Georgetown. Check-in was swift and for the price I paid, I would never stay at another place in Penang again. Even most 3-star hotels I know charge the same price for HALF the size of this massive suite. There's the main living room with a comfy sofa, TV and study desk, and a sliding door reveals a bedroom and bathroom at the other side. The bathroom is also huge, with a shower, toilet and mandatory jacuzzi. ALL rooms here have a jacuzzi! I could not believe my eyes when I entered the room for the first time, and called reception to make sure they quoted me the correct price!

What's good about this room besides the price and size? The fact that you get TWO bathrooms so there's no need to wait; a living room TV AND a bedside TV, central air-conditioning that takes minutes to cool the room; a splendid view of the city; FREE wi-fi; the huge bed that feels like it's even larger than King-sized; and the jacuzzi that works wonderfully. The amber lighting and wooden furniture evokes a certain 90's charm, but the furnitures are well-maintained and I don't find it old like some reviews here say. How do I put it, you feel like a hotshot young exec with his own suite in a 1990's movie (a good one) when you walk in.

I sound like a salesman, and this is my piece. Think no more. If you want a room big enough to play mini-golf, this is the place. If you want the biggest bang for the smallest buck, this is the place. Don't compromise for a tiny room! This might be the only place where you can stay in a suite with 3-star prices. You could have it all. My wife and I had a thoroughly enjoyable stay here, and would not hesitate to come again.

Room Tip: There are non-smoking floors, so don't hesitate to ask for one if you need it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Northam All Suite Penang? Share your experiences!