“So Spacious...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Northam All Suite Penang

Save Saved
You added The Northam All Suite Penang to your Saves list
The Northam All Suite Penang
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   55, Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah, Georgetown, Penang Island 10050, Malaysia   |
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Georgetown
Kuala Lumpur
“So Spacious...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I was not exactly suprised by the space of the room as it was stated in the web. The suite is only luxurious in the space, everything else is normal or even mediocre. While it is clean, it has a dated overall. On checking in, I was told there were only city view which surprises me as I paid for an Ocean view room. I highlighted that I paid for an ocean view room and was promptly given one... Breakfast has varied choices along very standard quality.Staff are generally helpful and speaks good English, which is common in Malaysia. The hugh king bed can sleep 3 persons comfortably!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Polish first
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

This hotel is certainly value for the money; big room (suite) with the usual amenities, plus a living room, 2 toilets and a jacuzzi thrown in.....what else can we ask for. However, with the price we paid, the basic services are adequate; please do not expect and compare with the usual 5 star hotels. As the hotel is about 15 years old, do not expect the property to be in tip top state as compared to the newer hotels in Penang. There will be the usual wear and tear but is relatively clean and in working condition. Although the hotel is in the town, I would recommend having a rental car when staying in this hotel. The attractions, though near, are not in walking distance from the hotel.
In conclusion, I feel that this hotel will certainly be appropriate for the regional and local travellers. I would stay in this hotel when I visit Penang again.

Room Tip: I told the staff during check-in that I have read reviews for poor quality rooms and request them to...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I've stayed in Northam almost every time I had to travel to Penang in the past four years. The first time I stayed there, I was largely impressed by the spacious rooms. For the price, it's value for money. The staff are also very friendly and helpful.

However, my grudge with this hotel is that they don't seem to care about the state of the property itself anymore. The walls are too thin that you can hear what people in the other room are talking about. Some of the rooms really smell bad. I think I demanded to be transferred to a different twice in the past. The sheets are also not so white anymore so sometimes you're quite unsure if they even change it. The iron and the ironing board left a stain and ruined my shirt (okay, this was partly my fault because I didn't check if the iron was clean but of course, when you're in a hotel you'll expect everything to be working right). Some of the furnitures are also quite dusty. I really wish the management will pay more attention to making sure the property is in tiptop shape. It's really a shame because this hotel can really be great with its views and the size of its rooms.

The breakfast spread is very limited but if you happen to have lunch in the cafe, I think that's a better value.

But then again, I think this is already considered a good hotel in Georgetown and after staying in Evergreen Hotel, I definitely have to agree.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Banbury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

This was a lovely hotel with nice large suites, even at basic level. Beds very comfortable and showers wonderful. Breakfast was good and with lots of choice. Location is good, being near all major local things.

• Stayed October 2012
Ipoh, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife and I needed a getaway bad, so I booked the Junior Suite for 2 nights here. The location is excellent if you brought a car, just 5 minutes' drive from Gurney Drive and a short drive away from all the popular eateries in Georgetown. Check-in was swift and for the price I paid, I would never stay at another place in Penang again. Even most 3-star hotels I know charge the same price for HALF the size of this massive suite. There's the main living room with a comfy sofa, TV and study desk, and a sliding door reveals a bedroom and bathroom at the other side. The bathroom is also huge, with a shower, toilet and mandatory jacuzzi. ALL rooms here have a jacuzzi! I could not believe my eyes when I entered the room for the first time, and called reception to make sure they quoted me the correct price!

What's good about this room besides the price and size? The fact that you get TWO bathrooms so there's no need to wait; a living room TV AND a bedside TV, central air-conditioning that takes minutes to cool the room; a splendid view of the city; FREE wi-fi; the huge bed that feels like it's even larger than King-sized; and the jacuzzi that works wonderfully. The amber lighting and wooden furniture evokes a certain 90's charm, but the furnitures are well-maintained and I don't find it old like some reviews here say. How do I put it, you feel like a hotshot young exec with his own suite in a 1990's movie (a good one) when you walk in.

I sound like a salesman, and this is my piece. Think no more. If you want a room big enough to play mini-golf, this is the place. If you want the biggest bang for the smallest buck, this is the place. Don't compromise for a tiny room! This might be the only place where you can stay in a suite with 3-star prices. You could have it all. My wife and I had a thoroughly enjoyable stay here, and would not hesitate to come again.

Room Tip: There are non-smoking floors, so don't hesitate to ask for one if you need it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kuching, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We spent 3 nights in Northam. We were most impressed with the size of the room for the rate we paid. It was huge! Its an all suite hotel but the living dining area was double the size of normal suites. The bed was super king size and comfortable. The bathroom was also huge with a jacuzzi tub. We were given a sea view room and waking up was a joy seeing the beautiful Andaman sea from our bedroom/living windows. The hotel was conveniently located in the city center near shopping and food areas of Gurney Plaza and Gurney Drive. The staff were all very courteous from the reception, bell boy and restaurant waitresses. We will definitely stay there again when in Penang next.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Kuala Lumpur
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed in this hotel while visiting my girlfriend as she is from Penang for 2 nights. I choose this hotel because anted to try something new as my previous stay was in Gurney Hotel. Understand that this 2 hotels are from the same management. I booked the junior suite and the room is not as big as Gurney Hotel but the jacuzzi was much bigger. There are 2 toilets which 1 is cater for the guest. Same type of tv sets as Gurney Hotel, the box type.
The pillows were soft and flat, I think it is too worn out. The management ought to change the pillows.
Breakfast buffet was not that good as compared to Gurney Hotel as both offer similar type of breakfast but I find Gurney Hotel offers slightly better one. Hotel location is almost similar as it is located near Gurney drive.
We use their pool facilities for 2 days and the highlight of the pool is it is situated on the 9th floor and the side of the pool is overlooking Gurney Drive. What a view! There is no sauna but only gym facilitiy.
The parking is a bit weird as it share with the office next door.
Overall experience is average and I would rate this hotel 3.5 star.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Northam All Suite Penang? Share your experiences!