“Great hotel!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Evergreen Laurel Hotel

You added Evergreen Laurel Hotel to your Saves list
Evergreen Laurel Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   53 Persiaran Gurney, George Town, Penang Island 10250, Malaysia   |
Ranked #20 of 52 Hotels in George Town
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Great hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have to admit that having read some mixed reviews about this hotel, we were pleasantly surprised when we arrived! Reception is very spacious and grand. We had booked this hotel, partly for location but also as they offered interconnecting rooms - many hotels didn't give family rooms with kids the ages of ours. We had a 3 night stay for our first visit to Penang. We were on floor 15 with a lovely city view and the 2 rooms were a very good size. Check in was easy, staff polite. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet, especially the egg station! Lovely poached eggs and omelettes cooked to order.

The pool was great and there was a mix of sun beds around the pool area. Was never busy when we were there. There was a bar service at 3 - 6pm in the pool area but you had to ask as the actual pool bar was closed. Pool area clean and well maintained, as was all the public areas we saw. We also used the spa, was easy to book appointment. You get towels for the pool from the spa reception area as you have to sign in and out of the pool area which is good.

Behind the hotel it is easy easy to find the subway and starbucks. It is within easy walking distance of the Buddhist temple. From the hotel if you turn left you can walk along to the plaza shopping centre and then to some of the hawker stalls. The hotel is about 1 mile (varying prices but roughly 15 RM in taxi!) to Georgetown heritage area.

Overall we would recommend this hotel for families (there is a cute play area which would suit pre school kids) and we really enjoyed our stay here.

Room Tip: We had a city view which we enjoyed. We had 2 interconnecting rooms which was fab (and are availabl...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Had a short stay at the hotel on 5th July 2013. The hotel is located at the famous 'gurney drive', so looking for food especially at nite is not going to be a problem, gurney food stalls/hawkers area is nearby. Gurney Plaza shopping complex also in vicinity. Though, it is actually away from the city centre.
The hotel itself is quite old compare with nearby newer hotels, but don't get a wrong impression, it is well maintained and walking inside at the lounge one will feel like been inside an old yesteryear luxury hotel with full of wood decoration, thick wood framed picture hanging on the wall. The room, just like ordinary usual hotel's room layout, rather slightly small to me, but again well maintained and well equipped and of course the tv is a flat screen tv.
The room, and I was informed that the whole hotel is connected with wi-fi - not bad for an old hotel.
Check in was quite smooth and quick, and the staff was quite attentive and helpful, ( I was even given a choice a newspaper that I wish for, not many hotel give that), thumb up.
The food, only had a chance to have their buffet breakfast, just mediocre.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Shah Alam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Stayed at this hotel as I could not get a room at hotels at Batu Ferringhi at short notice. I must admit I did not have any high expectations of this hotel. How wrong I was. I was assailed by a feel of nostalgia as I walked from the car park into the lobby as the heavy use of wood on the wall panelings reminded me of hotel from days of yore. The check in was quick and very pleasant. Given that this hotel has seen better days and in need of refurbishment, the room was very clean and the furnishings were well maintained. The bathroom was small and also very clean. The view outside was excellent as i took a sea view room. The hotel location is close to the city and there are many food choices close by. I would definitely chose to stay here again if I wish to stay close to Georgetown. And at the price I paid, its a no brainer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

My family and I stayed in this hotel for two nights. The check in took a while due to the new person at the front desk. Overall:this is a o.k. hotel since we paid a special price for two nights. The food in the restaurant in the hotel is so, so. but the service is great. We ate at the dinner buffet and while i made the reservation, i mentioned it was my sister's birthday. What really impressed me at the end of the dinner, the waitress and waiters actually brought her a piece of the birthday cake with candles. This gesture and the attention of the employee really impressed me and i will return to this hotel on my next trip.
This hotel is centrally located on walking distance to many restaurants and a big shopping mall is 15 min walk away.
The only think i would ask the hotel is to upgrade the machines at the gym.
A room with the ocean view is also recommended.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We checked out several hotels around gurney and decided on Evergreen Laurel because G Hotel was double the price. We stayed in the executive suite and absolutely loved it. The room was very spacious and clean. The staff were really friendly and helpful. The location was great! The buffet breakfast was wonderful with a variety to choose from. After 2 nights here, we adjourned to hard rock hotel and though the quality was far worse than evergreen they charged a whole lot more. We regretted not staying longer at Evergreen. It was truly a pleasant stay! We will come back and we will stay with you again and again and again! Highly recommended!!

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Was expecting a better experience due to all the good reviews I read, but I was a bit disappointed. The hotel can be considered a good one but it is getting a bit old and worn-out, with stains on the floor and the walls. I was given an upgrade so even though I had an extra bed inside, the room was still big and spacious. The gym in the fitness centre is relatively well-equipped, though the machines are old, they were still usable.

Despite being an old hotel, the experience can still be wow if the service is excellent but it was not quite there. The staff at the front desk and concierge were relatively friendly and helpful, even though my room was not ready at the check-in timing of 2pm. However, I was disappointed that I had to request on a daily basis for an extra towel when the room I booked was for 3 pax. On the first day when I checked in, there were 3 towels in the bathroom, which was great. The subsequent nights, I had to either call the housekeeping or remind the staff at the front desk in order to get a 3rd towel. If it was an extra request, then I can understand but I paid for an extra bed for a 3rd person to stay then housekeeping should provide an extra towel throughout my stay. I did not even bother to request for extra toothbrush (cause I brought my own), but I felt the towel was a basic item and should have been provided.

However, having said that, the seaview was nice, the location is pretty convenient, the lobby looks great and I felt completely safe staying there.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Hotel is well located at Gurney Drive. Lots of restaurants around the area. Definitely value for money place to stay. Went with my family and kids, they enjoyed it very much! It is also a short drive to Georgetown historical sites.... very convenient

Room Tip: Sea facing room is a good idea
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Evergreen Laurel Hotel? Share your experiences!