“Retro Feel Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Evergreen Laurel Hotel

You added Evergreen Laurel Hotel to your Saves list
Evergreen Laurel Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   53 Persiaran Gurney, George Town, Penang Island 10250, Malaysia   |
Ranked #25 of 69 Hotels in George Town
Shah Alam
“Retro Feel Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Stayed at this hotel as I could not get a room at hotels at Batu Ferringhi at short notice. I must admit I did not have any high expectations of this hotel. How wrong I was. I was assailed by a feel of nostalgia as I walked from the car park into the lobby as the heavy use of wood on the wall panelings reminded me of hotel from days of yore. The check in was quick and very pleasant. Given that this hotel has seen better days and in need of refurbishment, the room was very clean and the furnishings were well maintained. The bathroom was small and also very clean. The view outside was excellent as i took a sea view room. The hotel location is close to the city and there are many food choices close by. I would definitely chose to stay here again if I wish to stay close to Georgetown. And at the price I paid, its a no brainer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

My family and I stayed in this hotel for two nights. The check in took a while due to the new person at the front desk. Overall:this is a o.k. hotel since we paid a special price for two nights. The food in the restaurant in the hotel is so, so. but the service is great. We ate at the dinner buffet and while i made the reservation, i mentioned it was my sister's birthday. What really impressed me at the end of the dinner, the waitress and waiters actually brought her a piece of the birthday cake with candles. This gesture and the attention of the employee really impressed me and i will return to this hotel on my next trip.
This hotel is centrally located on walking distance to many restaurants and a big shopping mall is 15 min walk away.
The only think i would ask the hotel is to upgrade the machines at the gym.
A room with the ocean view is also recommended.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We checked out several hotels around gurney and decided on Evergreen Laurel because G Hotel was double the price. We stayed in the executive suite and absolutely loved it. The room was very spacious and clean. The staff were really friendly and helpful. The location was great! The buffet breakfast was wonderful with a variety to choose from. After 2 nights here, we adjourned to hard rock hotel and though the quality was far worse than evergreen they charged a whole lot more. We regretted not staying longer at Evergreen. It was truly a pleasant stay! We will come back and we will stay with you again and again and again! Highly recommended!!

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Was expecting a better experience due to all the good reviews I read, but I was a bit disappointed. The hotel can be considered a good one but it is getting a bit old and worn-out, with stains on the floor and the walls. I was given an upgrade so even though I had an extra bed inside, the room was still big and spacious. The gym in the fitness centre is relatively well-equipped, though the machines are old, they were still usable.

Despite being an old hotel, the experience can still be wow if the service is excellent but it was not quite there. The staff at the front desk and concierge were relatively friendly and helpful, even though my room was not ready at the check-in timing of 2pm. However, I was disappointed that I had to request on a daily basis for an extra towel when the room I booked was for 3 pax. On the first day when I checked in, there were 3 towels in the bathroom, which was great. The subsequent nights, I had to either call the housekeeping or remind the staff at the front desk in order to get a 3rd towel. If it was an extra request, then I can understand but I paid for an extra bed for a 3rd person to stay then housekeeping should provide an extra towel throughout my stay. I did not even bother to request for extra toothbrush (cause I brought my own), but I felt the towel was a basic item and should have been provided.

However, having said that, the seaview was nice, the location is pretty convenient, the lobby looks great and I felt completely safe staying there.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Hotel is well located at Gurney Drive. Lots of restaurants around the area. Definitely value for money place to stay. Went with my family and kids, they enjoyed it very much! It is also a short drive to Georgetown historical sites.... very convenient

Room Tip: Sea facing room is a good idea
Lapstone
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I was surprised to find this hotel so comfortable considering the price I was offered. I was allocated a nice room on one of the higher floors with a fabulous view of the bay. Huge window, lovely drapery, soft carpet and well lit. The air conditioning worked perfectly which is very important anywhere in Malaysia. Good bathroom too, plenty of hot water and comfortable seating in the room. The reception area was grand, very spacious and clean. There is a rather elaborate comfortable looking bar area as well, which I avoided because of the strong cigarette smoke odour. The staff were polite and helpful. Be aware that the hotel is situated quite a distance from the city centre of Georgetown, and the town bus service is not frequent or reliable. The hotel is right on the beach though with pleasant views, but I wouldn't recomend using the beach for bathing or any other activities for that matter. It appears very polluted. Road traffic is very noisy at street level, but I was not affected by noise of any kind from my room. The Hotel restaurant is also very good, with lovely food and different themes each night. It is not expensive.

Room Tip: The traffic is also noisy at street level, though the noise didn't carry through to my room. The...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Walpole, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed here all last week and found rooms so clean, very spacious and towels smelling like roses! Arrived quite late and Reception staff extremely helpful and courteous in regard to food at such a late hour. Enjoyed the Lobby Bar, musicians and food and beverages were great. Room was fabulous - classy, elegant and comfortable - furniture sound timber. Free WiFi in rooms and lobby was very convenient. Free English language newspaper each day. Meals really good in Café Laurel - if I could pick on anything, perhaps carpet in Café could be steam cleaned or updated. Staff at Reception, Lobby Bar, Tour desk, Restaurant and Doormen very helpful and courteous, with good suggestions re : tours, taxi prices, etc. Hotel close to street food (fabulous) convenient to George Town and cheap taxi travel. All in all a really great week and we would come back again.

Room Tip: Even rooms booked at cheap prices on Internet get great views.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Evergreen Laurel Hotel? Share your experiences!