A stay at the E&O allows you a unique experience of life in colonial Asia in the early 1900's. Sure, us Brits did not always cover ourselves in glory abroad, but we knew how to travel in style. As soon as you enter your spacious beautifully renovated suite, you begin to feel like Bertie Wooster, especially as Jeeves is just a ring away (24 hours a day) on the butler bell.
Our suite had a separate bedroom and living room with large bathroom complete with double basin, walk in shower and separate bath. The detail in the rooms is fantastic, with swooshing ceiling fans, antique phones, period furniture and bone china tea cups. The huge amount of wardrobe space are a reminder of how long Noel Coward, Rudyard Kipling and other travellers to this part of the empire would stay.
We stayed just briefly, but this was enough time to experience the hotel and the city of Georgetown (which is well worth a visit). The pool is beautifully situated by the waterfront, and the gym has all the essentials. The food was nice and the pub fairly busy due to an Australian couple getting married at the hotel that weekend. It's a popular spot for wedding photos for the locals too.
Lastly, I'd recommend asking for a room overlooking the pool as the windows are thinly glazed and the traffic noise at the back of the hotel is constant. Don't let that put you off - visit the E&O for a unique experience (a much cheaper and less snobby version of Raffles) rather than a relaxing holiday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as `The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era.In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, Splendia, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town