We stayed at the E&O for three nights as part of our honeymoon trip. The old (1885) hotel is fully restored and absolutely beautiful. The room (each a suite, I believe) was huge and very clean, the service was excellent, and the site-seeing driver the hotel arranged at our request was very knowledgeable and reasonably priced. The food at the hotel was quite good, too. Our room overlooked the hotel's garden which is at the seawall on the Indian Ocean (crashing on the rocks just a few feet below) -- what a nice way to be lulled to sleep! I have traveled extensively on business throughout Asia and stayed at quite a few "4-star" hotels, and this is one of the finest hotels I have stayed at for any price. Granted, it's not right on the sand beach like the higher-priced resorts in Penang, but we were much more interested in experiencing a more "local" Malaysian flavor in our surroundings and restaurant choices. A definite two-thumbs up! Btw, when in Penang, if you're interested in nature, we also recommend visits to the Butterfly Farm and the Fruit Farm. They're a bit of a drive, but very interesting (and tasty).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as `The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era.In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, HotelTravel.com, Agoda, Odigeo, Cheap Tickets and Asiatravel.com Holdings so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town