The E&O Hotel is situated in a great location. It's walking distance from a lot of historic, cultural and tourist sites. The staff are very polite and friendly. Check in is relaxing as you are given a cold towel to wipe your hands and face & you receive a complimentary fruit juice. We checked in and out 3 times as we used the E&O as our home base hotel while traveling around the country. The price per room was a bargain for this hotel. The 3 rooms we stayed in were all very clean, well furnished, spacious and had beautiful ocean and swimming pool views. The beds were a bit on the hard side though. The rooms had a sitting area with sofa, coffee table, desk and chair; there is complimentary teas/coffee (the BOH tea is great); a tv and French doors that open up to a moderate sized balcony with chairs and small table. The large bathrooms included a tub as well as a separate glassed shower and two sinks on opposite ends of the bathroom.
The hotel has a fine dining restaurant (we didn't dine there), a casual restaurant named Sarki's Grill, which is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and a pub called Farquar's. Sarki's serves a buffet breakfast with a mix of Malaysian, Asian and Western food. There were items like miso soup, roti, prawn curry, fruits, cereals, etc. The meals we had there were good. Once a week there is a fancier buffet dinner at Sarki's with live entertainment. There is a small gift shop, a business centre and an outdoor swimming pool that is really nice. The grounds are immaculate and the view of the ocean is stunning and vast. There is a rental car company located just down the street and the hotel has parking. It seemed quiet while we were there even though the restaurant had many patrons. Maybe it just has that laid back quiet atmosphere. It's a lovely, historic hotel and worth staying at.
PS. Take a rickshaw ride around the neighborhood - the guided tours are pretty interesting and fun.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as `The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era.In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, HotelTravel.com, Splendia, Odigeo, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Low Cost Holidays so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town