“Wonderful life😝” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Eastern & Oriental Hotel

You added Eastern & Oriental Hotel to your Saves list
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Farquhar Street, George Town, Penang Island 10200, Malaysia   |
Ranked #7 of 54 Hotels in George Town
cleethorpes
“Wonderful life😝”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Try the Eastern Oriental in George Town Penang its a Great place to stay and eat, wonderful setting on the coast, if carlsberg made hotels the O&E would come top with 5 lots to do nearby with large malls etc. take a bike ride!

Room Tip: Try the curry for tea it's brilliant
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We stayed here in November for 4 nights in a Corner suite in the Victoria annex side, absolutely amazing room with huge balcony overlooking the ocean, staff were outstanding, the pool area is to die for, hotel filled with history & old world charm, its a must when you visit Penang.

Room Tip: Get a corner suite on a high floor.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We stayed in the hotel during a couple weeks ago and I must say that was not overly excited with their customer service. Let me quote you a couple of incident,
Incident 1 at day 1 breakfast - hubby went down for a quick breakkie as our son was not ready to go down, after having his breakfast overlooking the sea(amazing view by the way) he came to get us from the room to the breakfast area. He sat with my son not eating this time while I went along to get some food, one of the breakfast crew member passed on a comment to her buddy " why is this man is here again for his breakfast!" In the local Indian dialect thinking that we don't understand. Mind you he was not eating anything! I find this extremely rude of the staff to pass such a comment on a customer. I also noticed none of the crew members was smiling. The crew member who collected my plate didn't even ask on whether it is ok to clear the plates on our table. She came n cleared the table and left. Not happy I left a comment on the hotels fb page and I noticed a senior member of the crew came down to audit the breakfast area and very quickly the staff's emotions changed..
Kudos of the management team to react fast on such comments but this is the 1st time I witnessed such services in a hotel

Incident 2 day 1 lunch
Went down to sarkies corner to get me some lunch and saw their dessert range nicely arranged. Was keen to try one of their pies. The dessert bar was right next to the restaurant host table. I reached out to her politely ask on topping ingredients , she answered that she was not sure and she will get one of the waiters to attd to me but went back to her without getting anyone to help me. Disappointed I reached to another crew member who also didn't know the answer. I waited for someone to address my question but till the end no one did.

I was very excited to patronise this hotel but at the end we were disappointed,
Lovely hotel with amazing ambience but services needs to be improved

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Medan, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Elegant & luxurious hotel in Penang!

Hotel staff were extremely helpful and courteous. The room that we stayed was huge and came with 2 Queen size beds which was perfect for us (2 adults & 2 kids). My 2 children enjoyed swimming at the 2 pools at the hotel (1 at the Ground Floor of the Old Wing and the other at 6th Floor of the New Wing).

We will definitely come back again. It was simply luxurious!

Room Tip: Try the Rooms at the New Wing as it allows you access to the Lounge.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I just back from my short getaway trip in Penang for 3 days 2 nights and I just cant wait to write a review about this hotel and share with you how fantastic this hotel is. We stayed in the Victoria annex suite (New Wing) the room is really comfy, big toilet, nice view from balcony, modern but classy design. Sometime is just too lazy to go out and would rather stay in the hotel. But the TV Channel selection is limited, it would be perfect if provide more channel. And also the sound proof in the room is not strong enough, sometime can hear the door sound (close) who stayed opposite our unit.
However, the breakfast is really good, variety of foods with a good mixture of local food and western. The roti canai & curry chicken is really nice, must try! Café at the pool side which located on the 6th floor is a good place to chill out as well, nice ambience (facing the sea).
The location is really good too, it is closed to anywhere, probably 2-3 KM to most of the famous place and food, and the hotel staffs (concierge) who always give us a good recommendation for the famous local food as well.
Overall, I feel this hotel is value for money, relaxing ambience, good location, good service, I will definitely come back to this hotel for the next Penang trip. The only thing that I wish this hotel can improve is to provide more TV Channel selection, with this I would say this is the Perfect Hotel to me.

Room Tip: Unless you really like those "old" design, if not please choose the new wing.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Staying at the old wing of the E&O takes one back in time. The new wing blends very well with the old. We had a pleasant 2 nights stay there. Our room was huge! Breakfast was a good mix of local and western.
We enjoyed walking in the garden fronting the sea and exploring the hotel. Yes, this hotel is filled with history and character. From the chandelier to the light switches in the room to the cannons in the garden and many more - history is alive in this hotel.
Notwithstanding the above, E&O could do with better and more comfortable beds and quality toiletries.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

We stayed here for just two nights for a break following a business trip and we were really looking forward to 5 star standards but with the historical charm. We have stayed in similar hotels e.g Galle Face in Colombo and knew what to expect in terms of service and old world charm. We stayed in the Victory annexe which is modern but has been well designed to still capture the 'colonial' style. The rooms are large and so was the ensuite, however toiletries were lacking and so were electrical sockets. The desk area had no socket to use. We had just come from a Marriott hotel which have very comfortable beds so it was a bit of a disappointment that the bed was so hard and the pillows rather flat. I ended up by sleeping on a pillow on the bed to relieve the backache of the previous night.

Staff were polite and helpful when asked and happy hour in the Planters lounge was great with continual top ups! Shame it was just for an hour! However by the pool it was hard to get attention. No one came to offer drinks or food which I would expect.

We had dinner in the 1885 which was deserted on a Saturday night. The pianist was great but the whole place lacked atmosphere. Food was very nice but they could only offer us a very small choice of red wines as all the ones we chose from the menu did not exist. The wine list should have been updated.

Overall it is a nice place to stay for a short time but falls a bit short of 5 star luxury.

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Eastern & Oriental Hotel? Share your experiences!