First trip to Penang and we originally wanted to go beachside in Batu Ferringhi, but in the end opted to stay in town...and feel lucky to have done so.
Georgetown is charming and delicious, and the E&O (new wing) is a good microcosm of this characteristic.
While the label "grand dame" probably doesn't apply, the E&O nevertheless provides a very good flavor of Penang, of a bygone age, with enough trappings of modernity to provide comfort.
-a good hotel with good service and attention to detail, relative to the context of Penang
-generously portioned rooms
-quiet and safe
-clean and comfortable
It is NOT:
-a ultra luxury hotel, neither in terms of hardware nor software...nor does it misrepresent itself to be such
-a long stay hotel with lots to do onsite to maintain interest
-a place that we would likely return to...not because of the hotel, but Penang itself is not so well developed as to support significant return tourism traffic
-comfortable views of the sea
-generous spaces (wide corridors, reasonably large rooms with balconies)
-security (lift access to upper floors need key cards always)
-that better attention was paid to some details such as tired hardware (even in new wing!)
-for bathrooms that made more sense (huge, but not that useful, and toilet had no privacy)
-fittings worked better (bathroom door latch that works, please)
-bath amenities can be better quality
-internet to be faster
-food to be even better
-bar to be open till later
-in-room entertainment to be more adequately provided
-THERE SHOULD BE A SPA!!
From the above you might be right in assuming I should have rated this hotel an average. What kicked it over to Very Good is that the front desk staff were very helpful. They deserve a good tip.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern Oriental Hotel
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/Georgetown
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as `The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era.In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Agoda, Booking.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Splendia, Tingo, Venere, HotelTravel.com, TripOnline SA and Otel so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.