I am a frequent traveler and stayed in many different type of hotels, E&O definitely does not impress me at all. For the price that you are paying, it certainly failed to deliver what is basic customer service. I was pretty embarrassed though, as I recommended this hotel to my friends. First of all checking in was pretty lousy (maybe because we are staying at Victoria Annexe wing and not the old wing). None of the receptionists have eye contact with you to let you know that they are aware of your existing. Informed them that we had 2 separate bookings for 2 nights and yet it was totally ignore and we have to go back to clarify with them the next morning. Worse thing is that, they can't even be bother to tell you where is the lifts and what facilities that they have. Room is pretty nice and huge (especially the bathroom), however from the way they design the layout, you will know that they didn't put in lots of thought into making the stay a comfortable one.
1) Bellboy - Can't be bothered to help you with your luggage until you are right in front of the lifts.
2) Bathroom - separate dressing table/sink area was pretty dark, I wonder how the ladies put on make-up with that kind of lighting.
3) Bathroom - bathtub right in the middle of the bathroom and I wonder where people put their soap or shampoo (too bad they don't even provide you any bath salt or scented candle) if they decided to use the bathtub instead of shower. Furthermore they only provide 1 floor mat, so you will have to chose where you want to place it, bathtub site or shower site.
4) Bathroom - Huge mirror in the middle of the bathroom and yet didn't put in any effort to clean it properly. (someone written on the mirror and it has not been clean for sometime I guess)
5) Shower - Shower screen and floor tiles full with molds
6) Balcony - it's like a prison, you have the view in front only as both sites are fully covered to protect your privacy?
7) Turndown service - not even a card or a bottle of water? how luxury can this hotel be?
8) Evening drinks - only for Victoria Annexe guests. Find your own table and help yourself with the drinks as they can't be bothered to serve you.
9) Breakfast - You really spoilt by the choices that they offered but again, customer service ain't there. They are like forced to work at that place, not sincere should be the word to describe. At one occasion, a guy asked for a glass of water and guess what the boy told him? Help yourself at the buffet there! Even though he has got nothing to do...
Overall, the hotel looks more like a hospital to me. The long and wide corridor reminds me of Victoria building type of hospital. Whole place is lacking of character, lousy customer service, unfriendly staff (no greeting at all from housekeeping to receptionist).
Seriously, it's not a place I would recommend anyone to stay there. Not because of the price but the quality of service and products which has way long to improve. Maybe they should ask the manager to travel a bit more to see how other hotels are doing. Even any Novotels in Bangkok did better than this E&O.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as `The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era.In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, Despegar.com, Expedia, Asiatravel.com Holdings, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town