What a fine old hotel! Everything worked ...well I didn't try pulling the "Butler Cord", that seemed a bit much to me. The lighting was phenomenal, the Wi-Fi fast, the spacious suite and the view (we splurged and got the sea-view rooms because we had read here, and the desk clerk confirmed, that the city-side can sometimes hear the nightclubs down the road). We were in the "old" building, because the new annex was booked, and I doubt there is much of a difference in the rooms. The best, the very best, of a very good experience was the breakfast. Every kind of fresh food imaginable. There must have been 8 chefs out in front creating various dishes (and countless workers behind the scene). Picture: one chef whipping up traditional Malaysian noodle dishes, and next to him another preparing fish soup fresh to your order. There were freshly made pancakes and waffles of course, and untold breads available. And sushi, and fresh fruit. And A man to juice to your order. WOW!
Unfortunately, the sea is too contaminated to swim, even though it is right outside. Apparently there is a shuttle to another property that does have sea-swimming. But there are two pools, a 35 meter stunningly beautiful infinity pool on the 6th floor of the new bldg, and a ground-level pool by the old bldg (a short walk between the two bldgs). My wife, a regular swimmer, preferred the ground-level pool (I'd estimate 25 meters) because it was less windy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as `The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era.In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, Odigeo, Agoda and Asiatravel.com Holdings so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town