The E&O is now a tale of two hotels. Having stayed in the hotel some twenty years ago, we decided to return to the Heritage wing for a week to soak up Georgetown's atmosphere and relax... and we did.
The Heritage wing has been modernised, but still retains atmosphere. Our suite was large, as was the bathroom, allowing us to spread out and, put our feet up and slow down.
Breakfast was a typical 5 star experience in an Asian hotel - anything from Omelettes, through to noodles or congee, to Roti Canai or Sushi. (Perhaps best to stick to one culture a day...) We explored Georgetown and surrounds during the day, heading to the pool late afternoon to cool down with a swim and a drink, with a book for company.
Can't really fault the hotel - it's location on the edge of the World Heritage Area makes it ideal as a base, and being just on the waterfront is great.
Decide if you want to stay in the Old or New Wing (we had a look in the New Wing and I've no doubt it would be a good experience as well - the pool / bar area was larger and being elevated had great views)
Dined in one night at the the top-end restaurant - 1885 - yes it was good but take the time to look at other places to eat in Georgetown as well.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as `The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era.In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Agoda, HotelTravel.com, Despegar.com, Ctrip TA, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town