Enough has been said in other reviews about this hotel’s old world charm and location. I stayed recently for one night in the Heritage Wing. The room was spacious enough, with a very comfortable bed and linens, which are important to me for this level of hotel. However, for the price paid and the claims they are a five star hotel, I think there is plenty of room for improvement:
1) What five-star hotel these days still has boxy old style TVs rather than flat screen TVs?
2) I didn’t time it exactly, but it took the two front guest staff at least 20 minutes to check-in myself and a colleague at a time which was clearly not busy. While they did serve us a cold guava juice while we waited, I’ve never been kept waiting so long checking into a five-star hotel;
3) The lady from the front desk did show me up to my room (nice sea view), but left me in my room without showing me how any of the room features worked, and I was literally left in the room in the dark (at dusk), to fumble around on my own to figure out the combination of antique and modern light switches etc.
4) The AC was too cold but the control on the wall was set to maximum temp suggesting it was not working (Suite 307);
5) Nice large bathroom facilities with separate shower stall, two sinks separated by a large bathtub. As I’m sure most guest would use the shower, I was more than slightly annoyed to step into the shower and turn it on only to find two amenities racks but no shower amenities! They were plentiful, but left out near the two sinks, including shampoo and bath gel!
6) Also, after the shower, no towels were found hanging within reach of the shower. They were on a rack over the bathtub across the bathroom.
7) Only one small bottled water in the suite?
8) Breakfast was included, but was in a restaurant at the other Annex. While it was vaguely explained how to get there upon check-in, in the morning there was no clear signage how to get there. On my first try, I actually ended up in the darkened hotel basement rather than the restaurant.
9) Upon checkout, my presence was barely acknowledged by the front desk staff other than to process the payment on my CC. No query about how I may have enjoyed my stay etc.
While this hotel may claim to be five-star and charge five-star prices for the Penang market, it can’t rely solely on its location and outward appearances if it wants to maintain clients. I’ll definitely be looking at other options next trip.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
3 days ago
Dear Valued Guest,
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you for choosing The Eastern & Oriental Hotel and for taking
the time to write and share your experience.
We are a five star hotel, offering at the Heritage Wing various spacious
suites with a minimum size of 58 Sqm and up to the biggest of 558 Sqm.
All guests upon arrival are welcomed with a cocktail and face towel,
after which they will be escorted to the suite where a short explanation
of the benefits and the available facilities in the hotel will be made known
to the guests.
You will be delighted to hear from us that the Colonial Heritage Wing will
go on a complete refurbishment plan in 2014 and the TV will be changed
despite many guests requesting us to keep them as part of the very few
last memorable touch from the past.
The new wing is offering a complete set of new technology equipment such
as the coffee machine, flat screen TV, modern phone and I-Pod for the Corner
We value all feedback from our guests, as this is the only way to ensure we
continually improve our product and service. Please be rest assured that your
comments on the shortcomings will be reviewed with the team for some very
detailed actions and we take extra note on the issues that you have kindly raised.
We are grateful for your comments and apologize for your experience.
Once again, I regret for your experience and we hope you will give us the
opportunity to make improvements and let us welcome you back. If I may be
of any further assistance in the future, please contact me directly at
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.