I stayed in the Eastern & Oriental with my older mum. From the minute we walked into the spacious bright colonial reception we knew we were taking a step back through to a slower more serene time. After a warm journey from the airport there's nothing better than being greeted with a big smile, being shown a comfortable armchair and being given a cold refreshing drink and ice cold hand towel.
We were upgraded to a huge suite overlooking the sea. Complementary fruit etc every day. The biggest bathroom, with 2 of everything, including 2 WCs!
We had a bit of a problem with our key not working and ended up having a veritable party in the lobby as members of staff tried to help. Very funny!
Wishing to gain a flavor of the area we walked 5 minutes onto the high street and ate at the hawker stalls. We are with the locals, which included rice from a banana leaf, curry and the most fantastically pulpy fresh orange juice. All for about £5 for 2.
We had dinner at the hotel restaurant one night, which was excellent, with great service, but came at a hefty price.
The hotel arranged for a private tour with David Yeoh. He was excellent and definitely made our trip to Penang very special. We saw Kek Lok Si Buddhist temple, the snake temple (be prepared to have a photo with snake round your neck!), Penang Hill and lots more. His local knowledge means that he stops at stalls of fruit at a bend in the road and let's us try produce including several types of bananas.
We loved this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as `The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era.In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Orbitz, Splendia, Tingo, Otel, HotelTravel.com, BookingOdigeoWL and Venere so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/Georgetown