“service ++ with a view - a relaxing stay in a bustling party of the city” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Eastern & Oriental Hotel

Save Saved
You added Eastern & Oriental Hotel to your Saves list
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Farquhar Street, Georgetown, Penang Island 10200, Malaysia   |
Ranked #5 of 49 hotels in Georgetown
Sydney, Australia
“service ++ with a view - a relaxing stay in a bustling party of the city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here after a week in Batu Feringgi, 5 days in Singapore and then a one night here before flying back to Sydney. My only regret is that it was for only one night. Amazing service. The door was always opened for you even when no one was manning the door. It was like there was always a person passing to open the door for you. Breakfast? Amazing. Rooms...beautiful... The view from the 10th story was amazing. Close to guerney plaza and the one week opened Guerney Paragon shopping ($15 RMT).

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
HaroldRainfroy, Resident Manager at Eastern & Oriental Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

It is so nice to see that you enjoyed your suite at our new Victory Annexe,
our breakfast and service. We are glad that we were able to give you a
great impression even at only a short stay with us.

Our location being close to places of attractions and shopping is one aspect
many guests appreciate and glad you found this to be the same.

It will be great to have you visit us again for a longer stay should your travel
brings you back to Penang.

1,232 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Beijing, CHINA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I had stayed at the old wing of the E&O over a decade ago and was pleasantly surprised that the newly opened Victory Annexe wing retains the charm of the old while offering fantastic ocean views. We asked for a room with a view of the sea, and were told that every room faced the ocean! Hotel designer was obviously generous and creative in use of space. Quality of breakfast was excellent, especially in its authenticity of local dishes like roti canai, nasi lemak and kuay teow. Those who want a continental breakfast in a quieter environs can opt for the lounge on the 6F, which also serves free happy hour drinks.

Room Tip: Corner suites have best views
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
HaroldRainfroy, Resident Manager at Eastern & Oriental Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your accommodation experience at our
newly opened Victory Annexe upon your return visit over a decade ago.

As you correctly mentioned, all suites at our new wing have ocean view and
many guests found this suited their requirement. We are extremely proud of
the rich heritage of our magnificent structure and our team of interior designers
have ensured that the furnishings and lightings complement every part of the
area.

I am pleased that you were happy with the breakfast quality and varieties as well
as the complimentary drinks and canapés available at the Planters Lounge for
guests staying in the new wing. Our Chefs create a wide selection of items on
the breakfast buffet to ensure all tastes are catered for.

Thank you for your compliments and we look forward to receiving you again soon.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We spent 4 nights in the old wing of this great hotel. I am usually scared by large hotels but this time it was recommended by some friends for our first visit to Penang. We arrived in the hotel on Friday night at midnight to find out that our room with a sea view was in fact a room with a large tree view. The butler (as called in this hotel) told me that I could still hear the sea. That was not really funny at midnight after a long trip. We asked him to move us to another room whilst going for a walk. Our room was large but dusty and since I am really allergic to feather and dust I did not sleep well at all. I believe that it is a problem with the old wing as the new one looks better. We enjoyed spending some time at the Planter's lounge for lunch and to chill out on the terrace. The new wing looks really good. Breakfast was amazing, probably the best we had this year (and I spend around 200 nights in hotels around the world).

I would love to go back to this hotel but this time in the new wing.

Staff were really great.

Room Tip: Go to the new wing. Rooms in the old wing are old and dusty.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the review of your recent stay.

I was disappointed to learn that your accommodation was not up to your
expectations. Please accept my apology regarding the state of the suite
you were allocated, we do take cleanliness and maintenance of the guest
bedrooms very seriously and I am sorry this was not the case on this occasion.
This obviously isn’t reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves in
and your feedback has been shared with the housekeeping team.

On a positive note, I am glad you enjoyed your dining experience and that you
would be planning a return to experience our accommodation in the new Victory
Annexe.

We look forward to having you with us again soon.

PJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Many years ago I spent 2 nights at the hotel when it was newly opened. I was not impressed because we were given a room far down a gloomy corridor. The room was also not the best of rooms – gloomy and the view out to the seas was uninteresting. The restaurants were also quite pathetic.

I went back last week to an impressively different experience and I left after one night, sorry that I could not stay longer. We were put into the new wing but there was not much to suggest it was a new wing because fittings and furnishing seemed to maintain the idea of an old refurbished building. We had a junior suite which meant we had a small little balcony with a soothing sea view. It helped a lot that it was a cool and windy day and so sitting outside was very nice.

The hotel surroundings were also quite outstanding and everywhere there was a feeling of spaciousness making it so pleasant to walk along the different corridors. A walk in the grounds following the sound of the waves was also incredible. I also felt that there hung over the whole hotel an impression that I was in a very large home. Somehow they managed to make it less hotel-like!

We also enjoyed Club facilities – and the lounge was really comfortable – soothing with muted tones in the furnishing. Breakfast there was pleasant because we could sit outside and the sun was not full blast upon us because I believe we were not facing the morning sun.

In the evening we had a quiet cup of coffee in the grounds adjacent to the restaurant. What I really enjoyed too was the sound of the waves gently breaking on to the shore.

As for service, it was warm and helpful. Every turn of our way there was always someone on hand to show us around or to help with directions.

This is one hotel I would like to go back to for more than a day – it should be a restful and calm experience.

Room Tip: If you can spend a bit more and get a junior suite overlooking the sea. It is lovely.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
HaroldRainfroy, Resident Manager at Eastern & Oriental Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

It has been a pleasure having you stay with us again since your last visit
many years ago. We are infact very delighted that you were impressed
with the overall accommodation experience compared to the previous visit.

I was also pleased that you found your suite in the new wing to your liking
along with its facilities in particular the complimentary drinks and canapés
available at the Planters Lounge for guests staying in Victory Annexe.

Thank you also for your kind endorsement of our great service and we are
thrilled that you would like to come back should the opportunity arises.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

This was a very very last minute booking, we booked at 7pm and showed up at 11pm. We booked a room over the phone with Reception and it seemed like a great deal, although wasn't offered any alternatives, not sure why knowing that the hotel wasn't very full.But anyway...
Got to the Hotel, in the dark, not a great deal of help with the luggage but never mind. Got to reception to be told we weren't in the "Heritage wing" but the newer Victoria wing. Although the guy did say this to me on the phone I didn't really realize the difference, so buyer beware! If you want original - think Heritage!

So we got shuttled to the new bit of the hotel, went to see the room and although lovely, big and well equipped not what I wanted. The receptionist very kindly took us all the way back to the Heritage bit and found a "Deluxe" room for us, obviously we had to pay more, but thought it would be worth it.

The room was lovely, the bathroom was very traditional and the room adequately sized, however there were some let downs.

Just because you are trying to be original do not get lazy with the maintenance and upgrade of the rooms. One of the side table lamps did not work, there was no flat screen TV in the room? What? honestly there was a huge cubed one, is it really 2013? Is this really a 5 star hotel? There was no Ipod dock, and a 5 dollar plastic kettle in the corner to make hot water? The skirting boards were really scuffed and the air con was so bad. The maintenance people had to come out and change the thermostat but unfortunately this didn't make a difference, the room had an awful smell of mould the entire weekend. If we were staying longer I would have complained but we were only there for 2 nights.

So the room had a few issues, but I was blinded by the architecture and the traditional environment of the rest of the building, it was charming.

So the breakfast, again we journeyed over to the new building, and the selection was great, lots of cooked to order stuff and the juice bar was great, plenty of choice. However I had a bowl of Bircher Muesli, only to find it was off, obviously the fresh apple had started to ferment and therefore the thing was fizzing, not so nice to find this when you go for breaky, really put me off.
During the day we had some food at the pool and a few drinks all very nice indeed and not bad prices at all.
Then on Sunday before we left we thought we would try the very popular afternoon tea. It all started well, great selection of sandwiches, and "proper" loose leaf tea. Then I started on the scones, you wont believe this the cream was again "off", again left a horrible taste in my mouth, how can a 5 star hotel put out 2 things in 2 days that were off? It turned out we were not the only people to complain about the cream?? Honestly this was just slack.
The waiter apologized profusely but really couldn't believe it.

So we came to leave and pay, all was good, but I never got asked did you enjoy your stay? Surely this should be a standard question when you check someone out? No obviously not.

So what can I say about my stay? Really would have liked to have known about the "new" wing and "old" wing when booking, and not try to to hide it behind Heritage and Victoria. Rooms in the Heritage wing were lovely, but don't let the upgrades and maintenance slip. And finally check the food before you send it out, things that are off are no excuse wherever and what ever you have paid.

I don't know whether to put 3 or 4 really want to put 3.5 but cant. So unfortunately I will have to put a 3.

Room Tip: Heritage = Old
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
HaroldRainfroy, Resident Manager at Eastern & Oriental Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience.

We are however disappointed to know that we failed to meet your expectations
in some areas and would like to sincerely apologize for this. Your feedback will
certainly be reviewed with the team for corrective actions to be taken.

With regards to the TV in the room in Heritage Wing, we do have plans rolled
out for upgrading in the future . On another note, I regret for the disappointment
that you had expressed in regards to the air con and some other amenities in the
suite. Usually any such faults are detected prior to the room being allocated. As
we plan for future improvements, you have my assurances that the issues raised
have been addressed to ensure our guests are not similarly disappointed in the
future and every effort is made to minimize the discomfort of our guets.

I acknowledge the issues that you described with the condition of the muesli as
well as the cream for the scones and I noted that these added to the frustration of
your stay.

I am sorry that I wasn’t made aware of your challenges during your stay. We would
very much appreciate an opportunity to change your impression on a return visit.

Southern USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

My wife and I loved this hotel. It has a great location and the price is very reasonable compared to other worldly destinations. We stay in the heritage wing. Although, the new wing next door is much more modern we were glad we chose the heritage wing. Our room was a mini suite with a huge bed. The bed was so wide; it was about the size of 2 queen beds. Also, the room had a nice view of the water.

There is a good pool at both wings but the pool at new wing is much better. If you stay in the heritage wing, it is worth the very short walk over to use it.

Breakfast was included in our rate. I thought the breakfast buffet was very good but it was the same each day. Since, we only stayed 3 nights there were enough variety to mix it up. There was a lot of good fresh fruit on it. For dinner be sure to experience the Red Garden Food Court about 2-3 blocks from the hotel. It is a fantastic food experience with great cheap food. We ate there 2 of our 3 nights. Yummy!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
HaroldRainfroy, Resident Manager at Eastern & Oriental Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

It is lovely to know that you and your wife had a great stay with us and that you liked the
presentation of your suite and the huge bed. Our location is one aspect many guests
appreciate and I am glad you found this to be the same.

As you correctly mentioned, there is a swimming pool available at each wing and guests
are given the privilege to use both as well as the gym. The infinity pool at level 6 of the
Victory Annexe is indeed a beautiful sanctuary for relaxing after a tiring trip or to start the
day with a refreshing dip.

I have noted your comments regarding our breakfast variety, and passed this on to our
Executive Chef for improvement. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you soon.

Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I have had a fascination with the E&O since my childhood. The white hotel on the promenade where the English planters and great authors would come and stay. On my last visit to Penang, unfortunately the E&O was closed for renovations. This time around, not only has the E&O undergone a transformation, but have also added a new wing, where we stayed.

I was in awe from the moment I stepped into reception (at the old E&O). We were taken to the Victory Annexe reception, which was lovely, Check-in was seamless. Our room was amazing. The complimentary canapes and drinks in the Planters Lounge (for those staying in the Victory Annexe) was delicious and plentiful. Do try the E&O sling. It is more delicious than the Singapore Sling, we thought.

Each morning started with a swim in the infinity pool on Level 6. Each afternoon, after our days outing, ended with a swim before drinks. And, the breakfast must be the best I have ever seen in a hotel.

Staff were friendly and helpful. We arrived very very late for high tea one day, but were accommodated with a smile.

There is really nothing not to like about the E&O. I could have happily stayed in the hotel all day and may yet do, on the next visit.

Room Tip: All rooms in the Victory Annexe face the ocean.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your splendid review during your recent stay at the Eastern & Oriental Hotel.

We are very delighted to know that you had a very pleasant stay with us. It is our pleasure
to make you feel comfortable while rejuvenating before embarking your onward journey.

It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your accommodation in our new Victory Annexe
along with its facilities including the infinity pool at level 6 which is a place for a relaxing dip
and I am glad you were able to experience this. Undoubtedly, our friendly and helpful staff
is our biggest asset as they definitely will make the difference when we consistently serve
all our guests well, whether new or returnees! We are encouraged to do better and we will aim
for more positive service excellence delivery.

We look forward to welcoming you and family back again for another enjoyable holiday.

Resident Manager

Been to Eastern & Oriental Hotel? Share your experiences!