A five-night stay in the Victory Annexe in August, 2013 was my second time visiting the E&O, and it certainly won't be my last.
I'm a solo traveller, and not at all trying to win any bonus points (or, you know, purposefully save money) scrimping on accommodation like many backpacker types would. I like a nice hotel when I'm on the road. And my favourite hotel on the planet (so far - I have a lot more of the planet to explore) is the E&O.
I've stayed twice in the Annexe, in beautifully appointed rooms. Judging just from the fixtures and furnishings, expense has not been spared putting this hotel together. The standard King rooms in the Annexe are huge with giant bathrooms, a walk-in shower, and dual vanities/closets, which would please even the most difficult travelling couples. The bed is soft, pillows comfortable, view of the sea impressive and amazing... these rooms are just gorgeous.
Add to that a sixth floor breakfast/lounge (not a bar, just a place to sit on couches and comfortable chairs to read and such) adjoining the pool area (infinity pool, heaps of deck lounges and umbrellas), a very good assortment of restaurants on property, and the bar (I enjoy the bar, even if I'm paying hotel prices for my pints), and there's no reason not to be comfortable.
The service is also quite professional and helpful, although I'm pretty low maintenance when it comes to visiting Penang.
It's a short walk from the hotel into the historic areas of George Town, four blocks to the best roti canai vendors in Malaysia for breakfast, and only a short cab ride to most of the popular night markets and such (though Red Garden Night Market - overrated and a tourist trap, in my opinion - is less than two blocks away).
Penang is probably my "happy place" in SE Asia, and I'll be visiting the E&O again and again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as `The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era.In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town