Stayed at the new Victory Annexe.
Beautifully renovated to mimic the classic old wing colonial style. Excellent interior design, lovely finishings--they haven't scrimped on that. The best feature of the standard room is the bathroom, very large, very spacious, very luxurious. Strange lack of standard British power points (considering it's the same points used in Malaysia)--I ended up having to charge my phone and laptop on the floor and in the bathroom.
View from the hotel room is stunning, Straits Quay to the left and Gurney drive to the right. Lovely to fall asleep to the sound of the waves, and equally lovely to be greeted by that view the moment you wake up. Bed's fairly comfortable, although nothing on the Westin and W hotels. One drawback of the room is that the walls are very thin; you can hear the water pump when the next room turns on the tap and the shower, when they slam the door and plug a charger in to a socket--not so good when they're on holiday and you have a 9 am the next day.
On the 6th floor--beautiful infinity pool, good fitness centre (even though it closes at 10pm, being a city hotel with jetlagged business travellers, you would think they would be open 24 hours). Planters lounge has complimentary coffee/tea all day, and free flow cocktails and snacks from 5-7pm.
Breakfast selection is good--western, chinese, japanese, malaysian--all the usuals of a Malaysian 5 star hotel buffet breakfast. Service is appalling. Rude chef at the dim sum station, and waiters wander around aimlessly, not clearing plates after you finish, not offering coffee, not refilling coffee, quite unacceptable for the 5 star price the hotel demands.
Not the 5 star experience expected, and certainly not for what they chargewill not be coming back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as `The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era.In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, HotelTravel.com, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Agoda and Asiatravel.com Holdings so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town