“Very good but not quite 5 star” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Eastern & Oriental Hotel

You added Eastern & Oriental Hotel to your Saves list
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Farquhar Street, George Town, Penang Island 10200, Malaysia   |
Ranked #10 of 69 Hotels in George Town
Lincolnshire
“Very good but not quite 5 star”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed in the new Victory annexe for 18 nights in April only a few weeks after it opened. It is. Along with the original building, very impressive but in some areas the standard of finish is not quite hitting the mark for me. I had also been there for 5 nights before during a call to my wife back home she pointed out there should be shampoo, body wash etc. in the bathroom. I was on my 6th day and none had been supplied. Needless to say it was immediately there as soon as I asked about it. The room service too was a little bit hit and miss. As I was working I was eating pretty late at night and after initially being very impressed with the excellent quality of the food, fast service and delivered on a hot trolley, the next night it was slow, not on a hot trolley and cold when I got it. Even after highlighting these few issues not once did any of the management feel it necessary to have a word with me. This is something I would expect for any guest staying for almost 3 weeks! Unfortunately due to my having to work unsocial hours I was unable to take advantage very often of the free drinks and nibbles in the Planters lounge but when I did make it in time it was very nice to sit outside on the terrace overlooking the Malacca Strait. The Friday night buffet dinner was absolutely excellent and also good value and the breakfast choices were too many to mention. The staff, particularly those on reception, were all very good and extremely helpful. I would definitely stay at the E&O again if I return to the island but would much rather it was on a holiday with my wife rather than as a solo traveller on business.

Room Tip: Get one with a large balcony if possible as it is nice to relax with a glass of wine overlooking the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
HaroldRainfroy, Resident Manager at Eastern & Oriental Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. Whilst we were
delighted to read the positive comments you made including our buffet
breakfast and Friday night buffet dinner, we were disappointed to learn
that there were few instances in your stay where the service quality delivered
was not consistent. We are grateful for your review as these detailed examples
give us the opportunity to go through the situations and better manage them
in the future.

Please accept our sincere apology and be assured that we have established
some actions to improve the service we provide as we pride ourselves on our
high level of customer service and nothing less will be tolerated.

On a positive note, it pleases me to read that the reception staff were all very
good and extremely helpful.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback. We look forward to having
you with us again soon.

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had a fantastic stay at the E&O. It's a gorgeous property, with lots of colonial charm. The rooms are beautiful, and the staff is friendly, attentive, professional and helpful. We didn't eat dinner there, but breakfasts and the food at happy hour were great. It's hard to come up with any negatives at all...the coffee could have a little been better, I guess, but I'm stretching.

Room Tip: Our ocean view room in the new building was wonderful.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
HaroldRainfroy, Resident Manager at Eastern & Oriental Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience on
Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to read that the service and your accommodation
met with your expectations and that you had a fantastic stay.

It is great that you enjoyed breakfast and the food served at the
Planters Lounge from 5pm – 7pm which is an added benefit for guests
staying at our new Victory Annexe.

We hope that you will visit us again soon and look forward to providing
a more treasured experience for you.

kuala lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Booked a room at Victory Annexe, which is the new wing of the E&O Hotel. Room is spacious, modern and with a seaview. Shower area is equally spacious.
Hotel is located at the old city with plenty of eateries nearby. Bars, pubs, food court are within 10 minutes walking distance.
A lounge is located on the 5th floor which serves predinner cocktails from 5 -7pm. Free flow of beer, liquor and finger foods available. The swimming pool which overlook the sea is also on this floor.
Do visit the "museum" located on the ground floor with pictures and stories of the hotel's grand history.
Service was good at the reception.
Great value and experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Firstly, allow us to thank you for your positive feedback on our property.

We are most pleased that your accommodation experience at our brand
new Victory Annexe was enjoyable and in particular the hotel’s central
location within walking distance to eateries suited your requirement. We are
also delighted that you were able to experience and enjoy the complimentary
drinks and canapés available at the Planters Lounge from 5pm-7pm daily as
well as the infinity pool located at level 6.

The E&O Gallery, located at our Victory Annexe lobby provides history of
the hotel with stories and items displayed for viewing and is a venue not to
be missed.

Thank you once again for your review and we look forward to welcoming
you back again in the near future.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We have just returned from the E&O Hotel. Our family loved the hotel and highly recommend it. The hotel exudes old world charm and the decor is outstanding, with quality finishes and attention to detail. The staff are outstanding with their personalised service, it would have to be the best hotel experience we have ever had. Special mention to Izzi and staff at the Plantation Lounge where we went for happy hour each day, they are the warmest team of people. Breakfast buffet was excellent. Location in Georgetown was perfect for exploring the UNESCO World Heritage area.

Room Tip: Sea views from higher floor is excellent.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

It was with great pleasure to read this feedback and that the quality
of the hotel surpassed all expectations as well as your compliments
to the team, in particular your special mention to Izzi. It is always
motivating for the staff to know that they could contribute to make
a guest’s stay remarkable.

We are proud to be able to give you a great impression in both the
product and services. Our Chefs create a wide selection of items on
the breakfast buffet and I am pleased you found this to your liking.

We are very fortunate to be in the Unesco site within walking distance
to the popular shopping areas, famous street food and places of
attractions and are glad that you found this beneficial.

It has been a pleasure having you as our resident and we are glad to
have provided you with a memorable accommodation experience.

It is our sincere hope that you will visit us again soon.

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The Eastern and Oriental is pretty well respected in Penang. And that's a respect that it's earned - it's well situated, well appointed and well staffed.

Rooms are large, colonial in feel but modern in terms of amenities. Wifi is reliable and fast enough, the large screen TV attached to plenty of channels, all with good reception and the big, claw footed bathtub is a lovely touch.

The buffet for which the hotel is famed ranges from the Very Good to the Spectacularly Good depending on theme and night and is highly recommended.

Recommended too is the free shuttle bus up to the hotel's younger, fresher, funkier sister The Lone Pine - a 20 minute ride that will put you by the pool of a modern boutique hotel by a beach and allow you to charge things back to your E&O room.

Things to watch out for? The pool is small and not really a place that you (or anyone) would want to hang out in for any length of time. The location is town center and comes with busy streets, traffic and occasional noise and there isn't a beach to speak of.

That aside the hotel is all that it promises to be - and decent value given the levels of service and quality of the product.

Next time I'd do Lone Pine but that's only personal taste and not a comment on the hotel itself

Room Tip: The new wing has bigger, more recently refurbished rooms
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed review. It is lovely to know that
you enjoyed so many elements of the hotel.

A detailed review like yours is always helpful for us and others considering
our hotel for their forthcoming stays.

We are glad that you enjoyed your dining experiences with us and thank you
for your recommendation of our themed buffet available nightly at our
Sarkies Annexe Restaurant.

Many guests appreciate the shuttle bus service we offer for their convenience
to go to the Lone Pine, our sister hotel located in Batu Ferringhi beach. I note
your comments in regards to the pool and would like to share that there is an
infinity pool at Level 6 at our brand new Victory Annexe available for guests
staying in both Heritage & Victory Annexe wing. A new large gym is also
available.

Our hotel is indeed located very central with both dining and places of attractions
just around the corner. Being a city hotel, one may experience some traffic and
occasional noise which will not impact the stay.

It was indeed a pleasure having you as our resident and we look forward to the
pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Everything about this hotel is amazing. Built in 1886, it boasts colonial style architecture. You'll be taking photos at every corner of this hotel if you stay here. The room I got faces the sea. Rooms - very nice interiors / furniture, dark timber floors, excellent bed / pillows, high ceiling, aircon & ceiling fan available. I really feel vintage! Bathroom is huge and features a walk in wardrobe. Breakfast: You can choose to dine indoor or outdoor (facing the sea). The Char Kway Teow is really good! I didn't have that much time to enjoy breakfast as I woke up late (the bed / pillows are too good!). I'll definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Firstly, thank you for providing us feedback on your recent stay.

We are thrilled that your stay at our property was more of an experience
than just a holiday. We are glad that you were impressed by not only
the presentation of your room but the breakfast as well in particular
the Char Koay Teow.

It is our absolute pleasure to hear that you would return and we look
forward to receiving you again soon.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Took my family to Penang and stayed 2 nights at E&O hotel on 1st and 2nd Jul
(Actually, I have never bothered to write any reviews. But because the staffs (and hotel) were so nice that I like to write one for them)

Hotel
- Was choosing between G-Hotel for its modern room furbishment, E&O and HardRock for its close to a 'beach'
- From G-Hotel to the attractions in Georgetown needs 10 mins cab. E&O is only 2 mins walkable distance from the first attraction. was able to take my parents (+55yrs old) back to hotel for rest later the day away from the heat. Save the trouble to cab in and out.
- went to the 'beach' near Hardrock. We left after 15 mins as water was no good for swimming and went back to the E&O pool which is much much more pleasant. In fact, i think most of the hardrock residents used the hotel pools only instead of the beach.

i.e. E&O is better in my opinion

Staffs
- MingY and Shelly from the morn shift were both very helpful; Both made some good suggestions on the nearby eatout and the tourists attractions. Was early for room check in, so offered us to the hotel lounge+pool as it was raining outside and too tired to walk in rain.

- realised i lost my phone in the plane to Penang/LCCT airport during the evening. The two hotel staffs at frontdesk (my bad for forgetting their names- but both Asian, sweet lady and very polite gentlemen in glasses) helped me contact airline. The gentlemen even asked his friend who is in the airport to check with the AirAsia counter. Seeing that I am upset with the phone lost, the lady suggested me to have dinner first at Sarkies and check back with them after dinner. Although I had not much luck in finding my phone at the end, the staffs made big effort to help me search for it.

Transport:
- Took airport cab from penang domestic airport; Cost = RM88 for 7ppl van; Taxi for 4 ard RM44; buy tickets at airport taxi counter outside. Around 30 mins with no traffic (ard 12pm, weekday)

Hotel
- heritage side (slightly more expensive) + Victory annexe side (newer building)
- Superior Suite - Victory Annexe, king size bed, beautiful sea view with balcony; very spacious, new
- Loved the pool + lounge
- Breakfast was also excellent

Buffet
- Buffet- theme was international buffet night; great variety for the price; had 2 big bowls of fresh salad
- wished they had laksa tho

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for choosing the Eastern & Oriental Hotel for your stay in Penang
and for such a thorough and comprehensive review. We were delighted to
have you and your family for 2 nights and glad that you were well taken care
of by our staff, just as you should be. We are extremely proud of our staff
who aim to make our guests feel at home and comfortable during their time
with us to ensure their stay is one that is memorable.

I am thrilled that both the product and services met with your expectations
and that you enjoyed the presentation of your suite, the pool, the buffet
and breakfast which we have received many good comments from the guests.

Our convenient location with such close proximity to shops, cafes, famous
street food and places of attractions is one aspect we get a lot of praise from
and I am glad you found this to be the same.

Thank you once again for this wonderful review and we hope to be given
the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Resident Manager

Been to Eastern & Oriental Hotel? Share your experiences!