“Sounds of the sea” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Eastern & Oriental Hotel

Save Saved
You added Eastern & Oriental Hotel to your Saves list
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Farquhar Street, Georgetown, Penang Island 10200, Malaysia   |
Ranked #5 of 50 hotels in Georgetown
“Sounds of the sea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We made a short 4-day trip to Penang in early June & for a change decided to stay in Georgetown rather than by the beach. It turned out to be a great decision. We stayed at the Victory Annexe which was completed only a few months earlier. I think virtually all the rooms in this wing have a view of the sea. The room opened out into a nice cozy balcony. The room is a decent size & the bathroom, even bigger & with a nice tub & two vanity tops, one to the left as you enter the bathroom & the other to the right. Our stay came with breakfast as well as complimentary cocktails at the Planters Lounge which is a good thing because you can partake of the beer, wine & hors d'oeuvres on offer before venturing out into Georgetown for some great Penang food. The E&O is within walking distance of many great eating spots - the famous Line Clear nasi kandar stall is just about 10 mins walk down Jln Penang. If you're thirsty, the first few metres of Jln Penang boasts a row of pubs & clubs including Slippery Senoritas.

The one thing about our stay at the hotel that really stands out is the fact that for three nights we slept to the sounds of waves lapping onto the embankment just outside the hotel. In fact, the sound of lapping waves is pretty much all you hear if you have the balcony door open throughout the day. You hear the occasional horn of a tanker or ship in the distance but there was no sound of traffic or anything else. As good as or even better than Ferringhi, minus the sand of course.

Room Tip: Stay at the Victory Annexe if you've chosen the Eastern & Oriental. I believe all rooms fac...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
HaroldRainfroy, Resident Manager at Eastern & Oriental Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for coming to spend your holiday with us and for taking
the time to upload the photos with your review.

It gives us great pleasure to hear that you have had a truly seamless and enjoyable
stay at our brand new Victory Annexe and that your stay was as you expected it to be.
We are delighted that you were able to experience the complimentary drinks and
canapés available at the Planters Lounge from 5pm – 7pm.

Our location is certainly ideal with such close proximity to cafes, shops, famous
street food and other places of attractions. This convenient location is constantly
one aspect we get a lot of praise on and I am glad you found this to be the same.

Once again, thank you for your comments on your satisfaction of our accommodation
and location which were so pleasing to read.

We certainly look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

1,427 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

This hotel, one of three luxury hotels in Southeast Asia built by the Sarkie Brothers over a century ago (the others are Raffles in Singapore and the Strand in Rangoon), lies just outside the core World Heritage area at Georgetown, Malaysia. In my opinion, the hotel is worthy of UNESCO listing in its own right, representing as it does, the wonderful heritage of a bygone era. Forget the new "Annex"' it might be nice, but it could be anywhere in the world (well Southeast Asia anyway where we take high standards for granted) - modern hotels have all the distinguishing features of aircraft interiors. My wife and I spent a wonderful weekend in a Premier Suite in the "heritage wing" and I now look forward to staying in the other Sarkie properties.

Room Tip: Stay in the heritage wing,
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
HaroldRainfroy, Resident Manager at Eastern & Oriental Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Let me thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is our absolute
pleasure to hear that you and your wife spent a wonderful weekend here.

Our hotel is positioned well in the Unesco site, very central to both dining
and places of attractions just around the corner.

It was a pleasure to have you as our resident and we certainly look forward
to seeing you soon in the near future.

Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed one night at the hotel as I wanted to experience some "classic colonial feeling". The building is really nice, and the staff is generally good (with an exception that I will cover later). But somehow it is so obvious fake that it lacks something, I did not get the feeling I was after. It feels a bit plastic, that goes for everything, the service (it is not sincere), the renovation was just too much. It feels a bit like going to a italian mall in the middle east or seeing paris in Las Vegas.
The rooms are really nice, the breakfast was the best I had in Malaysia (and I had many good ones) and the staff reacts quickly.
One one occation though, just after arriving, and having tried to follow the signs from the car park, there are no clear signs all the way from the car park to the reception, so at a few places it was possible to go to the wrong direction. When this was pointed out to the reception staff, we were met with laughter, implying that "there cannot be anything wrong with this hotel, you must be stupid to go the wrong way". I find that behaviour unacceptable for a place like this!
General value for money: Not really, super nice, but there as nice hotels (with the same plasticity but no fake colonial heritage) for less money in the region. I would prefer them next time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
HaroldRainfroy, Resident Manager at Eastern & Oriental Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review.

Whilst I am glad that you found our rooms really nice and that breakfast
was the best you ever had in Malaysia, I am naturally concerned about
your unfavourable experience with the reception staff mentioned in this
review. I only wished you had pointed this out to us at the time as we would
have done our utmost to resolve this. Nevertheless please be assured that
your comments have been taken on board and I apologize for the confusion
of the direction signages.

It is rather disappointing that you did not like the rich heritage of our building,
which we received many compliments from the guests.

It is our sincere hope that you will visit us again.

Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

My family and I took up 3 rooms at the Victory Annexe from June 20-23 and experienced one of the best stays we ever had in Penang. The rooms are have an exquisite view of the sea, especially if the curtains are opened all the way. The balcony is cosy and private, a nice place for a good read with a cup of tea. Soft drinks are complimentary and there is even a Lavazza coffeemaker with capsules provided. The luxurious bathrooms boasts a roomy shower stall with a rainshower plus a standalone old-world bathtub. Two separate sinks and two wardrobe areas, one thougthfully catering to the lady and the other, for the gentleman. The bathroom size alone is the area of two HK hotel rooms! Breakfast spread is extensive and delicious, there is even a Penang Char Kway teow station. The only problem we had is that one of the room's keycards kept glitching and could not be used to open the doors.

Tip: For excellent sup kambing, walk out of the hotel towards Penang Road until you reach the stalls opposite Hotel Malaysia. Good mamak food too!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
HaroldRainfroy, Resident Manager at Eastern & Oriental Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

It has been an honour having you and your family with us and it is a
huge compliment to be considered one of the best stays you ever
had in Penang.

Your compliments on our newly opened Victory Annexe Studio Suites
and the facilities are very much appreciated as it gives other reviewers
a better idea of what we offer.

A wide selection of items are available on the breakfast buffet including
Dim Sum specially made by our own Dim Sum Chef and our other talented
Chefs do a great job in ensuring all tastes are catered for, and I am glad
you found the breakfast to your liking.

I did note your comments in regards to the faulty key card which will be
investigated further, and would like to offer our sincere apology for the
inconveniences caused on this occasion.

We do hope that you would be planning a return soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We booked this hotel for its convenient location to Georgetown and to enjoy some luxury whilst we were at it and spent most of the weekend in the hotel. We booked into the new victory annex where we had a standard room with a balcony overlooking the sea. The room was a really good size with a beautifully comfy bed. The bathroom was the same size as the bedroom! The arrangement of the double sinks and the free standing tub make you feel like you are staying somewhere grand- but the shower was the highlight of this room, amazing after a hot day!
The real high point of this hotel is the pool and terrace in the new wing. From 5-7 each evening residents are invited to come stay the planters lounge and indulge in wine and canapés- which we made full use of! We actually took our wine to the sun loungers by the pool to completely relax- divine.
The location of the hotel is perfect for exploring the streets of Georgetown and visiting the UNESCO heritage sites- the blue house is actually only a 3 minute walk away. If you don’t feel like venturing out we can vouch that that the food served on both the terrace a carte menu and at the main hotel buffet are very good. Just go, relax and enjoy!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea facing room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

On my second trip to Penang I knew that I wanted to stay in this hotel and was delighted to see that with the opening of the Annexe section I was able to book a suite at a very reasonable rate. I chose the newer Annexe section and our stay included breakfast and daily "happy hours" (open basic bar of beer, wine and several spirits as well as a range of finger food that changed each day) on the 6th floor Planter's Lounge. Although I chose one of the smallest rooms it was huge and had an ocean facing balcony. Several reviews have mentioned the noise in this section of the hotel due to the hard flooring, and I could see that if the suite next door had guests entering and leaving often it could be annoying, but we really couldn't complain about the noise levels while we were there.The pool in this section is fantastic with an "endless" design that appears to marry into the sea beyond. Breakfast was well presented although I would concur with some of the remarks about the wait staff not being up to the standard of a 5 star hotel, but it was a minor inconvenience having to chase down someone every morning to ask for a coffee rather than have someone ask me. We also tried the legendary afternoon tea which was quite nice and beautifully presented by the well trained staff, but having grown up with the bench mark of afternoon tea at The Windsor in Melbourne it was certainly not in the same league. The hotel is perfectly placed for shopping along the Penang Road area and the staff couldn't have been more helpful in offering assistance with any request for information and advice about sightseeing. Would I stay there again? In a heartbeat...

Room Tip: All the suites in the Annexe have ocean facing rooms and we preferred this section to the older sect...

Thank you for sharing your experience of The Eastern & Oriental Hotel
and I am certainly glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us in our
brand new Victory Annexe with access to the Planters Lounge for the
complimentary drinks and canapés during the Planter Hours from
5pm-7pm daily.

With regards to the noise issue that you had raised, we make every
effort to ensure our guests are provided peace and comfort during their
stay and I am very sorry for any disturbance you may have experienced.
Do let us know when you next make a booking so we can ensure a location
that may suit you better.

The pool at level 6 is indeed a beautiful sanctuary for relaxing after a tiring
trip or to start the day with a refreshing dip. I appreciate your comments
regarding the dining experiences around the resort and that you did like our
popular English Afternoon Tea. However, I am sorry to know that the service
experiences at breakfast was variable and definitely something for us to work
on. Rest assured we will establish some very detailed actions for improvement.

Our hotel is indeed located very central with both dining and shopping attractions
just around the corner and it was great that this suited you well.

My team and I very much look forward to your return soon.

Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

From the moment we stepped in, we felt so welcome plus a personal butler to assist us. The room was so lovely, ours was facing the sea and the swimming pool........simply gorgeous. The room was divided into three sections, the lounge, bedroom and a big beautiful bathroom. The food was good too, especially the breakfast buffet. It was a lovely stay and we will definitely come back again!

Room Tip: Definitely facing the sea
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HaroldRainfroy, Resident Manager at Eastern & Oriental Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013

We are most pleased that your experience at the Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Penang was enjoyable and are even more pleased to hear of your return.

It gives us great pleasure to know that you enjoyed the buffet breakfast and
liked your room presentation, and that your butler at the Heritage Wing made
your stay even more personable.

We very much look forward to receiving you again soon.

Resident Manager

Been to Eastern & Oriental Hotel? Share your experiences!