We made a short 4-day trip to Penang in early June & for a change decided to stay in Georgetown rather than by the beach. It turned out to be a great decision. We stayed at the Victory Annexe which was completed only a few months earlier. I think virtually all the rooms in this wing have a view of the sea. The room opened out into a nice cozy balcony. The room is a decent size & the bathroom, even bigger & with a nice tub & two vanity tops, one to the left as you enter the bathroom & the other to the right. Our stay came with breakfast as well as complimentary cocktails at the Planters Lounge which is a good thing because you can partake of the beer, wine & hors d'oeuvres on offer before venturing out into Georgetown for some great Penang food. The E&O is within walking distance of many great eating spots - the famous Line Clear nasi kandar stall is just about 10 mins walk down Jln Penang. If you're thirsty, the first few metres of Jln Penang boasts a row of pubs & clubs including Slippery Senoritas.
The one thing about our stay at the hotel that really stands out is the fact that for three nights we slept to the sounds of waves lapping onto the embankment just outside the hotel. In fact, the sound of lapping waves is pretty much all you hear if you have the balcony door open throughout the day. You hear the occasional horn of a tanker or ship in the distance but there was no sound of traffic or anything else. As good as or even better than Ferringhi, minus the sand of course.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern Oriental Hotel
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/Georgetown
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as `The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era.In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Splendia, HotelTravel.com, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.