This hotel, one of three luxury hotels in Southeast Asia built by the Sarkie Brothers over a century ago (the others are Raffles in Singapore and the Strand in Rangoon), lies just outside the core World Heritage area at Georgetown, Malaysia. In my opinion, the hotel is worthy of UNESCO listing in its own right, representing as it does, the wonderful heritage of a bygone era. Forget the new "Annex"' it might be nice, but it could be anywhere in the world (well Southeast Asia anyway where we take high standards for granted) - modern hotels have all the distinguishing features of aircraft interiors. My wife and I spent a wonderful weekend in a Premier Suite in the "heritage wing" and I now look forward to staying in the other Sarkie properties.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as `The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era.In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Agoda, TripOnline SA and Booking.com so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town