“Simply divine- a colonial adventure” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Eastern & Oriental Hotel

Save Saved
You added Eastern & Oriental Hotel to your Saves list
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Farquhar Street, Georgetown, Penang Island 10200, Malaysia   |
Ranked #6 of 49 hotels in Georgetown
Singapore, Singapore
“Simply divine- a colonial adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We booked this hotel for its convenient location to Georgetown and to enjoy some luxury whilst we were at it and spent most of the weekend in the hotel. We booked into the new victory annex where we had a standard room with a balcony overlooking the sea. The room was a really good size with a beautifully comfy bed. The bathroom was the same size as the bedroom! The arrangement of the double sinks and the free standing tub make you feel like you are staying somewhere grand- but the shower was the highlight of this room, amazing after a hot day!
The real high point of this hotel is the pool and terrace in the new wing. From 5-7 each evening residents are invited to come stay the planters lounge and indulge in wine and canapés- which we made full use of! We actually took our wine to the sun loungers by the pool to completely relax- divine.
The location of the hotel is perfect for exploring the streets of Georgetown and visiting the UNESCO heritage sites- the blue house is actually only a 3 minute walk away. If you don’t feel like venturing out we can vouch that that the food served on both the terrace a carte menu and at the main hotel buffet are very good. Just go, relax and enjoy!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea facing room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

1,363 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

On my second trip to Penang I knew that I wanted to stay in this hotel and was delighted to see that with the opening of the Annexe section I was able to book a suite at a very reasonable rate. I chose the newer Annexe section and our stay included breakfast and daily "happy hours" (open basic bar of beer, wine and several spirits as well as a range of finger food that changed each day) on the 6th floor Planter's Lounge. Although I chose one of the smallest rooms it was huge and had an ocean facing balcony. Several reviews have mentioned the noise in this section of the hotel due to the hard flooring, and I could see that if the suite next door had guests entering and leaving often it could be annoying, but we really couldn't complain about the noise levels while we were there.The pool in this section is fantastic with an "endless" design that appears to marry into the sea beyond. Breakfast was well presented although I would concur with some of the remarks about the wait staff not being up to the standard of a 5 star hotel, but it was a minor inconvenience having to chase down someone every morning to ask for a coffee rather than have someone ask me. We also tried the legendary afternoon tea which was quite nice and beautifully presented by the well trained staff, but having grown up with the bench mark of afternoon tea at The Windsor in Melbourne it was certainly not in the same league. The hotel is perfectly placed for shopping along the Penang Road area and the staff couldn't have been more helpful in offering assistance with any request for information and advice about sightseeing. Would I stay there again? In a heartbeat...

Room Tip: All the suites in the Annexe have ocean facing rooms and we preferred this section to the older sect...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
HaroldRainfroy, Resident Manager at Eastern & Oriental Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience of The Eastern & Oriental Hotel
and I am certainly glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us in our
brand new Victory Annexe with access to the Planters Lounge for the
complimentary drinks and canapés during the Planter Hours from
5pm-7pm daily.

With regards to the noise issue that you had raised, we make every
effort to ensure our guests are provided peace and comfort during their
stay and I am very sorry for any disturbance you may have experienced.
Do let us know when you next make a booking so we can ensure a location
that may suit you better.

The pool at level 6 is indeed a beautiful sanctuary for relaxing after a tiring
trip or to start the day with a refreshing dip. I appreciate your comments
regarding the dining experiences around the resort and that you did like our
popular English Afternoon Tea. However, I am sorry to know that the service
experiences at breakfast was variable and definitely something for us to work
on. Rest assured we will establish some very detailed actions for improvement.

Our hotel is indeed located very central with both dining and shopping attractions
just around the corner and it was great that this suited you well.

My team and I very much look forward to your return soon.

Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

From the moment we stepped in, we felt so welcome plus a personal butler to assist us. The room was so lovely, ours was facing the sea and the swimming pool........simply gorgeous. The room was divided into three sections, the lounge, bedroom and a big beautiful bathroom. The food was good too, especially the breakfast buffet. It was a lovely stay and we will definitely come back again!

Room Tip: Definitely facing the sea
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HaroldRainfroy, Resident Manager at Eastern & Oriental Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013

We are most pleased that your experience at the Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Penang was enjoyable and are even more pleased to hear of your return.

It gives us great pleasure to know that you enjoyed the buffet breakfast and
liked your room presentation, and that your butler at the Heritage Wing made
your stay even more personable.

We very much look forward to receiving you again soon.

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We walked in and.... felt like a celebrity!

We were in the victory annexe and were absolutely in love with the place from the start. Our room was amazing. The bathroom is massive - bigger than some hotel rooms I have stayed in!! The room had a beautiful room of the water and was spacious and well appointed.

Some great things that we enjoyed - the pool was amazing. Great comfy lounges to just lie by the pool and read and relax. The club room with afternoon drinks and food was very welcome. Staff were friendly and very helpful. They all say hello and open doors and it seems cannot do enough for you. Breakfast was very impressive for a hotel breakfast. We had the famous high tea and it was everything that it is hyped up to be!

Location was very central in Georgetown.

So all in all - stay at E&O if you want a special trip, some luxury and a peaceful and relaxing holiday.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
HaroldRainfroy, Resident Manager at Eastern & Oriental Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Allow me to thank you for such an amazing feedback in relation to your recent
stay with us.

It was with great pleasure to read this feedback and that the quality of the hotel
surpassed all expectations as well as your compliments to the team. So delighted
you found every aspects of your visit to your satisfaction in particular your room
at our brand new Victory Annexe, breakfast, famous English Afternoon Tea,
complimentary drinks and canapés at the Planters Lounge and the swimming pool
which is indeed a beautiful sanctuary to start your stay with a refreshing dip.

The hotel is indeed located very central with both dining and places of attractions
just around the corner.

It has been a pleasure having you as our resident and we are glad to have provided
you with a memorable experience. We thank you for your patronage and look forward
to your return soon.

California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

I booked online as a solo traveler and somehow accidently chose a twin bedroom instead of king. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the twins are actually singles. Paying the full price to sleep in a 'cot' was not my idea of 5 star treatment. Anyway reception agreed to move me. Although I asked if the new room had any problems like noise I was told no. So there I was at reception at 2 in the morning asking when the disco music from across the road would stop. A third room was found for me which at 3 in the morning finally met expectations. I had dinner in 1881. I will open a separate review on this, but it was really really bad. I wrote an email to the RM during the night and he came up to my room the next day with an assistant. They were polite and apologetic, but perhaps a little defensive. The RM did offer a special service in the restaurant for the following night but I declined. I felt the restaurant was beyond saving as I had a similar experience in it about 6 years ago. Im capable of self reflection, and I really think I am being fair here. On a positive note, staff were much better trained this time in vustomer service, and yes the hotel is an interesting colonial relic which is well maintained.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Whilst I note your positive comments on the improved customer service and our
well maintained heritage building, I am naturally concerned there were aspects
that could have done better.

I do recall meeting up with your goodself in the room in regards to your dining
experience in our contemporary dining outlet, The 1885. Allow me to share the
good news that we have recently hired a new Malaysia Award Winning Chef and
a Manager for this particularly outlet. We would certainly appreciate an opportunity
to welcome you back in future and change your impression.

I understand your confusion in regards to the online booking you have made and
am glad that our Duty Manager and I managed to sort it out by offering you another
room that met your expectations.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We visited the hotel in July 2012 before the new wing was open. I meant to post a review shortly after the trip, but better late than never!

There are many good things about the E&O. The rooms in the old wing are huge and comfortable, with plenty of space to relax and the bathrooms are also very large and luxurious. It has a real feeling of old style elegance.

My biggest disappointment was Sarkies in the new wing. It's a perfectly fine buffet place, of the type you will find in any luxury hotel, but it has no atmosphere, and it seems to be a popular hangout for locals. Sarkies Corner in the main wing was almost deserted when we were there, which is sad because it does have atmosphere.

We also had problems with taxi drivers. The hotel should do more to ensure that guests don't have bad experiences - though, to be fair, they did take our complaint very seriously and looked after us very well, which was much appreciated.

I found the so-called "butler service" rather strange. You can push a button above the bed, but all that happens is someone then calls you on the phone! It's quicker and easier just to call them - and the service is good, but it's not quite what it appears to be!!

Sitting on the balcony outside the room in the evening is a very pleasant and relaxing experience, and one day we found a wedding in progress below. So I'll try to remember the good stuff and forget the problems!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this review.

I appreciate your compliments on the presentation of your room at the Heritage Wing
that you had stayed last July 2012.

Your comments on the Sarkies Annexe Restaurant have been duly noted. Our buffet
lunch and dinner are quite popular amongst the locals, therefore the Restaurant is most
of the time packed with local guests. Guests who opt for ala-carte menu may go to the
Sarkies Corner which definitely has a different ambience and atmosphere.

It is disappointing to read that you experienced problems with the taxi drivers and please
feel free to contact me at rainfroy.harold@eohotels.com so I can investigate this further,
as I would appreciate the chance to prevent similar events from occurring.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

My dad and I stayed here for 4 nights just this past week. The hotel has excellent five star accommodations and service. We stayed at the new wing or Victory Annexe and the rooms are very spacious and elegant. High ceilings (more than 3 ft), two sinks with two full sized cabinets, bathtub, shower, balcony overlooking the Malacca Strait, comfortable beds. The room must have been almost 60 square meters.

The hotel has an old world charm worthy of even just visiting if you happen to be in Penang. Location is good since its near restaurants and malls. They also have a shuttle that can bring you to Batu Faringghi. Here you can visit the night market and find paintings, clothes, little trinkets, home decor, hawker food and even have massage. The shuttle will bring you to their sister hotel, Lone Pine hotel and the market is just outside.

Overall, our stay at the E&O hotel was memorable. It's classified as a heritage hotel established in 1885 too.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Eastern & Oriental Hotel? Share your experiences!