On my second trip to Penang I knew that I wanted to stay in this hotel and was delighted to see that with the opening of the Annexe section I was able to book a suite at a very reasonable rate. I chose the newer Annexe section and our stay included breakfast and daily "happy hours" (open basic bar of beer, wine and several spirits as well as a range of finger food that changed each day) on the 6th floor Planter's Lounge. Although I chose one of the smallest rooms it was huge and had an ocean facing balcony. Several reviews have mentioned the noise in this section of the hotel due to the hard flooring, and I could see that if the suite next door had guests entering and leaving often it could be annoying, but we really couldn't complain about the noise levels while we were there.The pool in this section is fantastic with an "endless" design that appears to marry into the sea beyond. Breakfast was well presented although I would concur with some of the remarks about the wait staff not being up to the standard of a 5 star hotel, but it was a minor inconvenience having to chase down someone every morning to ask for a coffee rather than have someone ask me. We also tried the legendary afternoon tea which was quite nice and beautifully presented by the well trained staff, but having grown up with the bench mark of afternoon tea at The Windsor in Melbourne it was certainly not in the same league. The hotel is perfectly placed for shopping along the Penang Road area and the staff couldn't have been more helpful in offering assistance with any request for information and advice about sightseeing. Would I stay there again? In a heartbeat...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as `The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era.In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, Odigeo, Agoda, Expedia and Asiatravel.com Holdings so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town