“Luxurious!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Eastern & Oriental Hotel

You added Eastern & Oriental Hotel to your Saves list
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Farquhar Street, George Town, Penang Island 10200, Malaysia   |
Ranked #9 of 70 Hotels in George Town
Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia
“Luxurious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

From the moment we stepped in, we felt so welcome plus a personal butler to assist us. The room was so lovely, ours was facing the sea and the swimming pool........simply gorgeous. The room was divided into three sections, the lounge, bedroom and a big beautiful bathroom. The food was good too, especially the breakfast buffet. It was a lovely stay and we will definitely come back again!

Room Tip: Definitely facing the sea
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HaroldRainfroy, Resident Manager at Eastern & Oriental Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013

We are most pleased that your experience at the Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Penang was enjoyable and are even more pleased to hear of your return.

It gives us great pleasure to know that you enjoyed the buffet breakfast and
liked your room presentation, and that your butler at the Heritage Wing made
your stay even more personable.

We very much look forward to receiving you again soon.

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (528)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We walked in and.... felt like a celebrity!

We were in the victory annexe and were absolutely in love with the place from the start. Our room was amazing. The bathroom is massive - bigger than some hotel rooms I have stayed in!! The room had a beautiful room of the water and was spacious and well appointed.

Some great things that we enjoyed - the pool was amazing. Great comfy lounges to just lie by the pool and read and relax. The club room with afternoon drinks and food was very welcome. Staff were friendly and very helpful. They all say hello and open doors and it seems cannot do enough for you. Breakfast was very impressive for a hotel breakfast. We had the famous high tea and it was everything that it is hyped up to be!

Location was very central in Georgetown.

So all in all - stay at E&O if you want a special trip, some luxury and a peaceful and relaxing holiday.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
HaroldRainfroy, Resident Manager at Eastern & Oriental Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Allow me to thank you for such an amazing feedback in relation to your recent
stay with us.

It was with great pleasure to read this feedback and that the quality of the hotel
surpassed all expectations as well as your compliments to the team. So delighted
you found every aspects of your visit to your satisfaction in particular your room
at our brand new Victory Annexe, breakfast, famous English Afternoon Tea,
complimentary drinks and canapés at the Planters Lounge and the swimming pool
which is indeed a beautiful sanctuary to start your stay with a refreshing dip.

The hotel is indeed located very central with both dining and places of attractions
just around the corner.

It has been a pleasure having you as our resident and we are glad to have provided
you with a memorable experience. We thank you for your patronage and look forward
to your return soon.

California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I booked online as a solo traveler and somehow accidently chose a twin bedroom instead of king. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the twins are actually singles. Paying the full price to sleep in a 'cot' was not my idea of 5 star treatment. Anyway reception agreed to move me. Although I asked if the new room had any problems like noise I was told no. So there I was at reception at 2 in the morning asking when the disco music from across the road would stop. A third room was found for me which at 3 in the morning finally met expectations. I had dinner in 1881. I will open a separate review on this, but it was really really bad. I wrote an email to the RM during the night and he came up to my room the next day with an assistant. They were polite and apologetic, but perhaps a little defensive. The RM did offer a special service in the restaurant for the following night but I declined. I felt the restaurant was beyond saving as I had a similar experience in it about 6 years ago. Im capable of self reflection, and I really think I am being fair here. On a positive note, staff were much better trained this time in vustomer service, and yes the hotel is an interesting colonial relic which is well maintained.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Whilst I note your positive comments on the improved customer service and our
well maintained heritage building, I am naturally concerned there were aspects
that could have done better.

I do recall meeting up with your goodself in the room in regards to your dining
experience in our contemporary dining outlet, The 1885. Allow me to share the
good news that we have recently hired a new Malaysia Award Winning Chef and
a Manager for this particularly outlet. We would certainly appreciate an opportunity
to welcome you back in future and change your impression.

I understand your confusion in regards to the online booking you have made and
am glad that our Duty Manager and I managed to sort it out by offering you another
room that met your expectations.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We visited the hotel in July 2012 before the new wing was open. I meant to post a review shortly after the trip, but better late than never!

There are many good things about the E&O. The rooms in the old wing are huge and comfortable, with plenty of space to relax and the bathrooms are also very large and luxurious. It has a real feeling of old style elegance.

My biggest disappointment was Sarkies in the new wing. It's a perfectly fine buffet place, of the type you will find in any luxury hotel, but it has no atmosphere, and it seems to be a popular hangout for locals. Sarkies Corner in the main wing was almost deserted when we were there, which is sad because it does have atmosphere.

We also had problems with taxi drivers. The hotel should do more to ensure that guests don't have bad experiences - though, to be fair, they did take our complaint very seriously and looked after us very well, which was much appreciated.

I found the so-called "butler service" rather strange. You can push a button above the bed, but all that happens is someone then calls you on the phone! It's quicker and easier just to call them - and the service is good, but it's not quite what it appears to be!!

Sitting on the balcony outside the room in the evening is a very pleasant and relaxing experience, and one day we found a wedding in progress below. So I'll try to remember the good stuff and forget the problems!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this review.

I appreciate your compliments on the presentation of your room at the Heritage Wing
that you had stayed last July 2012.

Your comments on the Sarkies Annexe Restaurant have been duly noted. Our buffet
lunch and dinner are quite popular amongst the locals, therefore the Restaurant is most
of the time packed with local guests. Guests who opt for ala-carte menu may go to the
Sarkies Corner which definitely has a different ambience and atmosphere.

It is disappointing to read that you experienced problems with the taxi drivers and please
feel free to contact me at rainfroy.harold@eohotels.com so I can investigate this further,
as I would appreciate the chance to prevent similar events from occurring.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

My dad and I stayed here for 4 nights just this past week. The hotel has excellent five star accommodations and service. We stayed at the new wing or Victory Annexe and the rooms are very spacious and elegant. High ceilings (more than 3 ft), two sinks with two full sized cabinets, bathtub, shower, balcony overlooking the Malacca Strait, comfortable beds. The room must have been almost 60 square meters.

The hotel has an old world charm worthy of even just visiting if you happen to be in Penang. Location is good since its near restaurants and malls. They also have a shuttle that can bring you to Batu Faringghi. Here you can visit the night market and find paintings, clothes, little trinkets, home decor, hawker food and even have massage. The shuttle will bring you to their sister hotel, Lone Pine hotel and the market is just outside.

Overall, our stay at the E&O hotel was memorable. It's classified as a heritage hotel established in 1885 too.

• Stayed June 2013
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Here are the reasons why my family and I enjoyed our 3D2N stay at E&O Hotel Penang's Corner Suite at its Victory Annexe wing :

1. Location - stone's throw away from UNESCO's World Heritage Sites in George Town. It's the only hotel in Penang that's located along the shores of Malacca Strait offering a sweeping view of the sea with glorious sunrise and sunset.

2. Spacious with finest attention to details. With its 123-square-meter area, it's the grandest we've stayed. The alotment for bedroom, living room, dining room with well structured mini-bar is nothing short of impressive. There's a separate toilet for guests and a his-and-her-vanity counters with floor-to-ceiling-wardrobes and mirrors. The long tub with ball & claw foot is a stunner, not to forget separate rainforest-showers and another toilet. The Corner Suite also boasts of 270-degree-private-balcony with priceless view of Malacca Strait & Penang.The facilities of the Victory Annexe wing also include a fully equipped fitness centers, some meeting rooms and the one we enjoyed the most, the relaxing view at the swimming pool deck; it was so marvelous! Staying out of the hotel with all these luxurious and sophisticated Victorian-themed amenties was a challenged for us, much more to check out after the 3rd day. Separation anxiety kicked in seriously.

3. Impeccable Service. From the buttlers to the staff at the concierge, to the crew and managers at Planter's Lounge & Sarkies where we had breakfast in two consecutive mornings, and evening cocktails (at Planter's Lounge exclusive to guests checked in at Victory Annexe Wing), everyone was keen in rendering ultimate-customer-service satisfaction to guests. We even had engaging conversations with the lady-manager at Planter's Lounge. Kudos to them!

4. Wide variety of F&B. The free-flowing wines, beer, freshest fruit juices in Planter's Lounge, during cocktails, the many selections of the spread at Planter's Lounge and of course, in Sarkies (however, it gets cramped with people so we preferred Planter's Lounge during cocktails and breakfast) from International cuisines to local dishes, E&O surely maintains Penang's reputation to be the gastronomic paradise in Malaysia.

5. Best, it's family friendly!

Malaysia must be so proud of E&O Hotel Penang!

We wish to go back!

Room Tip: If budget isn't an issue, book one of of the 5 Corner Suites! Timeless elegance at its best!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
HaroldRainfroy, Resident Manager at Eastern & Oriental Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing this experience and your very detailed review for
other reviewers to gain a better knowledge of what we offer at the
Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang.

It is our absolute pleasure to hear that you and your family had such a
wonderful stay and even more pleased to hear that you wish to come back.

Our convenient location is constantly one aspect we get a lot of praise on.
I am glad you found this to be the same. We are ideally located with close
proximity to shops, cafes, famous street food and few other places of attractions.

We are glad to be able to give you a great impression in both our product and
service, and in particular the spacious Corner Suite well described in this review
of yours. Your words of appreciation of the staff shall go a long way to motivate
the team to continue to deliver impeccable service to our valued guests.

Many guests appreciate the complimentary drinks and canapés available at the
Planters Lounge from 5pm – 7pm. In addition guests who stay at the new Victory
Annexe wing may choose to have breakfast either at the Planters Lounge or our
Sarkies Annexe Restaurant.

Once again, thank you for all your positive comments that may be helpful for others
considering the Eastern & Oriental Hotel for their forthcoming stays. We certainly
look forward to seeing you soon in the near future.

Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for two nights as part of our one week holiday in Malaysia--we wished we could have stayed longer. The hotel has excellent location and service, with an unparalleled history any where in Georgetown. We have always loved heritage and specialty accommodations and E&O did not disappoint.

Check-in was quick and the welcome drinks were excellent. Our butler provided an excellent rapport while on our way to our room in the heritage wing. I especially liked it when he asked if we are ready to see our room, and when quickly he opened the door--lo and behold, my wife was very much impressed with our ocean/sunset view suite. It has the impressive "works" of many heritage hotels but does not impose luxurious flamboyance in many aspects. Guests will immediately sense the classic elegance and heritage feel of a bygone colonial era. The location of the hotel has also made it easier for us to walk around Georgetown and the staff also made suggestions which hawker centers are among the best nearby. The breakfast buffet choice is the same for two days, but nevertheless, excellent. The amazing view at the breakfast patio is unmatched. My only wish is that we could have been told that are happy hours by the sunset for hotel guests staying at the Victory Annexe (which heritage wing guests can pay).

Will definitely stay here again next time we go back to Penang.

Room Tip: Stay at the heritage wing--nice views of the sunrise.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Eastern & Oriental Hotel? Share your experiences!