“Excellent service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Eastern & Oriental Hotel

You added Eastern & Oriental Hotel to your Saves list
Eastern & Oriental Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Farquhar Street, George Town, Penang Island 10200, Malaysia   |
Ranked #10 of 69 Hotels in George Town
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Service is excellent ! Everyone went out of their ways to help. We are frequent travellers and have stayed in different exclusive hotels but E&O Hotel has to be the best for service. The staff are very accommodating , friendly, always smiling.
A special mention to Evelyn who was so kind to show us around Penang on her day off. Thank you
The new wing has an awesome view.
My husband and I will definitely be back and be spreading the good words about this hotel.
Well done..

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
EOHPenang, Resident Manager at Eastern & Oriental Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

It’s wonderful to know that you have thoroughly enjoyed every
aspect of your stay with us. Our passion is hospitality and to receive
such kind reviews made it all worthwhile.

We greatly appreciate your kind compliments on the areas that we have
served you well. Your praise of the hotel, its staff and special mention
to Evelyn has been communicated to all involved and I am glad you had
such a lovely time.

My team and I look forward to your return soon.

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Beijing
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

This fantastic, historic hotel could be up there with the best if the service matched the setting. We stayed in the newly-opened Victory annexe and got a great deal including canapés and drinks at cocktail hour. The hotel is superb, public areas and private rooms are equally impressive and match the best Four Seasons and Ritz-Carlton hotels I have stayed in.
Sadly the service doesn't quite reach the same levels.
I organised some champagne and cake for a friend and fellow guest and the whole process was way too slow and complicated without much feeling that we were welcomed guests. With a bit more effort and a bit less focus on the price of everything, we would have left with the same overall impression as we had with the hotel itself.
This rather minor quibble aside it was a memorable stay in a wonderful hotel in a great location with excellent value for money and easy to recommend. The swimming pool in the Victory annexe was a particular highlight.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Many thanks for choosing to stay with us for your holiday and
your valuable feedback.

It is wonderful to learn that you had a memorable stay with us and
that you found the Hotel’s great location suited your requirement.

I am thrilled that you were able to experience and enjoy the drinks
and canapés during the Cocktail Hour at the Planters Lounge as
well as the swimming pool at our new Victory Annexe.

On another note, I regret for the disappointment that you had expressed
in regards to our service and I have brought this to the attention of our
F&B Director who will address this with his team in ensuring we provide
a five star service to our guests at all times. I am sorry for the shortfalls
you experienced with our service.

Do drop us a note the next time you are travelling through Malaysia.
It will be great to have you visit us again.

Doha, Qatar
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

It took me a while to write this review as I was incredibly disappointed with this property and Penang in general but I didn't want my Penang experience to cloud my review of this property. I got hardly any sleep when I was there as the walls, if you can call them that, were paper thin and I could hear everything, everywhere. It was ridiculous and I'm a heavy sleeper. Unfortunately by the second night, it was too late to check out and go to the other side of the island, which I recommend doing rather than staying here. The bathroom was not nice at all and the toilet was very small. The pool was freezing and was overlooking some construction work on a filthy waterfront. The only saving grace was that the breakfast was nice and the bar staff were friendly and willing to assist where they could. Really, save your money and go to the other side of Penang.

Room Tip: Don't stay here would be my tip
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
EOHPenang, Resident Manager at Eastern & Oriental Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Sir/ Madam,

It is regrettable that your stay with us last November was a disappointment.

I acknowledge the comments that you described with the condition and presentation
of your room, bathroom and small toilet. As I would like to address your concern
personally and to allow a better understanding, please provide me with details of your
stay and Suite number to my email harold.rainfroy@eohotels.com. At the E&O we offer
suites from a minimum size of 58 up to 540 sq meters with large bathrooms.

At the time of your stay, there was some ongoing construction works being carried out
at the new wing and I believe the noises that you experienced could have come from
the construction site from our new Victory Annexe extension which were opened on
March, 15th. We did do our best to ensure that the works were of no disturbance to any
guests staying at our Heritage Wing. As you may know we do offer butler service in which
you could have contacted to make us aware of the issues where we would have resolved
the problem by offering you another suite to make your stay more comfortable.

Once again, I regret for your experience and thank you for your valuable feedback. Please
contact me directly at the email provided above.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We were recommended this hotel by staff from The Lakehouse in Ringlet, and it did not disappoint us.
The building was modern but the style and structure were very much of the old world.
We had a great time, the staff were very warm and friendly.
Surely will come here again.

Room Tip: All rooms face the bay but the corner rooms could give you a two dimensional view
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
easternandoriental, Resident Manager at Eastern & Oriental Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

It is nice to hear that you had a great time during your recent stay
at our colonial styled hotel and most importantly you enjoyed our
warm hospitality.

We look forward to your return soon.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

The E&O has been recommended to me on numerous occasions and with the opening of a new wing and the promise of free-flow wine in the evening I booked myself on the Saturday morning Firefly from KL all prepared for two days of relaxation.

The Victory Annex has only just opened but it blends seamlessly with the heritage hotel. There's a separate check-in and in many respects it's a separate hotel but in the new wing you get the sixth floor lounge, gym and pool area. And very good it all is too. I arrived early and my room wasn't ready but they let me up to the sixth floor and I was able to get my lunch and tan going. The check-in guy came up with my key a few hours later. The staff are exceptional. Everyone smiles and is friendly.

The new rooms blend in with the heritage feel of the place. I was on the 11th floor overlooking the bay and the view in the morning was beautiful. The new infinity pool area is a sun trap but loses the sun mid-afternoon. Loved the room. Had a relaxing bath late evening with the bath salts provided.

At 5pm in the lounge there is free-flow wine, beer, spirits and canapés until 7pm. No catch, help yourself. Makes the rate very good value indeed.

The next day I joined the hoards for the Sunday brunch (RM159 inc. free-flow wine, prosecco, margaritas and the like) which was also excellent value. Or at least I made it so.

Got to say, this is what all Malaysia hotels should be like. Only E&O and YTL seem to be able to manage hotels properly in this country and deliver international standards (E&O's Lone Pine is another favourite). Until next time boys :-).

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
EOHPenang, Resident Manager at Eastern & Oriental Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We are proud to receive such good comments and on behalf of the team,
thank you for your generous compliments.

It gives us great pleasure to hear that you have had a truly seamless and
enjoyable experience here.

We are delighted that the team delivered an impeccable service and that
we were able to give you a great impression even at only a short stay with us.

We are also happy that you made use of the facilities and outlets available at
the hotel and enjoyed the food as well as the Cocktail Hour at the Planter’s
Lounge, which many guests also appreciate it.

Once again, we thank you for your valuable time taken to post such great review
and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We booked 11 nights in the new Victory Annex through booking.com. Their description of the room was very different to the room we were given. After we took this up with the reception they were very accommodating and moved us to the described room which was in the old hotel. The room was indeed as described and very nice so we were very happy to accept the change and still get our Victory Annex club lounge access.

The room was very spacious with a separate lounge and balcony. A huge and very comfortable bed with crisp white linens and soft pillows. A huge bathroom with 2 vanity units and walk in shower and separate bath. A very deep bath!! It was quiet and spotlessly clean. If the do not disturb sign was left on you always had a note under the door saying they couldn't clean or turndown because of this - nice touch.

All the staff were very friendly and attentive. Service was very good in all the restaurants and bars.

There are 2 pools to choose from. The infintiy pool on the 6th floor in the Victory Annex is very nice but a little cold and more attractive to the younger guests so a little noisier. The main pool is quieter and better suited to a relaxing sunbathe and dip. The pool attendants here are also very good bringing you towels and iced water and cooling flannels throughout the day. You can also order form any of the hotels menu's so don't just stick to the pool bar menu.

As we had the access to the club lounge we took advantage of this on several occasions. The staff were great and very attentive. They made you very welcome and couldn't do enough for us. It was a lovely place to enjoy a few drinks and have a snack or two. Very comfy sofas and soft lighting made it a welcome retreat from the heat outside.

The restaurants in the hotel are great. The food is excellent quality and prepared well. The buffet breakfast is vast and has lots of choice. The breakfast service was also excellent.

The hotel is also in a great location for the rest of Georgetown. It's a great base for your holiday in Penang.

I would recommend it to anyone. There are some not so great reviews on here and I was a little worried to start with but it was great.

Room Tip: Sea view, definately, the other side looks out on to a petrol station!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing the E&O Hotel for your recent stay and the time to
post this review. We are delighted to know that you were well taken care of
by members of our staff – just as you should be.

A detailed review like yours is always helpful for us and others considering
E&O Hotel for their forthcoming stays. We are also happy to know that you
thoroughly enjoyed your accommodation experience such as the hotel facilities,
food, services as well as location of the hotel. Our team takes pride in providing
our guests with the utmost comfort and service, and it gives us great pleasure to
know that you found every aspects of the hotel to your expectation.

I will share your comments and compliments with the team and it is always very
rewarding for our colleagues to know that they could contribute to make your visit
pleasant. I am grateful for your appreciation of our hotel and that you would
recommend to others.

My team and I certainly look forward to seeing you soon in the near future.

Cairo Governorate, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed a week here and had a lovely time. We were staying in the new wing which was lovely. There was a private lounge and pool area for residents only and complimentary tea and coffee available, Also in the lounge was pre-dinner cocktails and canapes - which was a lovely touch. We are not a big eaters so found this was often enough for us. We did eat in a couple of the restaurants in the hotel and the food was excellent with beautiful presentation. The service generally was efficient and unobtrusive -what you would expect in a quality hotel. The breakfast was excellent - really important I always think! Our room was huge with a great sea view and lovely bathroom. The hotel is well placed in Georgetown and you can walk to all the historical places of interest.I am looking forward to our next stay here!

Room Tip: A corner suite is really nice. We had a great view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with this review.

It is wonderful to know that overall you had a lovely time and an enjoyable
stay with us.

It is a pleasure to hear that you had enjoyed many aspects of the hotel such
as the new wing, Cocktail Hours at the Planter’s Lounge which many guests
enjoy and appreciate, food in the restaurants, presentation of your room, location
of the hotel as well as the services that met with your expectation.

We greatly appreciate your kind compliments on the areas that we have served
you well and delighted to know that you would be planning a return.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Resident Manager

Been to Eastern & Oriental Hotel? Share your experiences!