We stayed at the E&O hotel as a stopover from Sydney for three nights. The hotel itself is beautiful and has all the best facilities. The front of house staff are very good and seem well trained even though some of the staff in the restaurants lack polish. Food was very good, we stayed in the new Victoria annexe so we had a complimentary breakfast and evening cocktails from 5pm-7pm which is actually free wine, beer, spirits and soft drinks that you help yourself to, this is served in the 6th floor Plantars lounge with views over the ocean (just ignore the tankers). You also get nibbles ranging from smoked salmon to cheeses, the staff here are particularly helpful and willing to undertake any task that you may have, going the extra mile to give the best service. The room itself was very spacious with plenty of space to relax, our room overlooked the pool area with views of the sea from here. All the amenities in the room are what you wold expect of a top hotel including a very good wifi connection which is included in the price of the room. The hotel has several different restaurants to choose from ranging from al a carte to buffet style. We only actually ate at the sarkies restaurant and it was top notch for a buffet style with good value and a great selection. The food was also very tasty and as far as I could tell it changed substantially each night.
The only negatives I can say about the hotel are that not all the staff are as polished as others but even then they are reasonable, and also the location of the hotel isn't great in a area which in parts seems run down but we ate at a couple of very good very good value restaurants including having some street food.
Overall fantastic stay and would definitely completely recommend.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as `The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era.In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Orbitz, Splendia, Tingo, Otel, Despegar.com, HotelTravel.com, BookingOdigeoWL and Venere so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/Georgetown