We are currently staying in the E&O and, having read a lot of the reviews on trip advisor, we were expecting it to be a fabulous hotel but let down by staff who were not very well trained and were slow, especially in the dining areas. We have been pleasantly surprised to find the staff to be excellent, especially in the large and busy breakfast area. The staff are, like the people of Penang, extremely friendly, pleasant and helpful. In fact, we can't speak highly enough of every member of staff we have come across, from the people who work in the restaurants to the ones who look after the pool and the rooms. They are just so cheerful and friendly. Also, previous reviews said the guests were largely over 70. Where we have found some truth in this, however, we have to say that they appear to be a pretty lively group who knock us into shape with their poolside drinks and hilarious conversations that you occasionally catch if the wind is blowing in the right direction!! Actually we found quite an age range, with the weekend bringing families with young children, and groups of people in their 20's. We have travelled a great deal over the years and overall we would have to say that this is the nicest hotel that we have ever stayed in. Definitely worth getting a room with a sea view. And we love Penang - loads of great places to eat and drink.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as `The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era.In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, HotelTravel.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, Ctrip TA, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Splendia, Low Cost Holidays and Odigeo so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town