This is our third visit to the E&O and love the old girl. Ambience of the hotel is charming.
Rooms are beautiful (only stayed in the heritage wing) and look out over the sea. Love the black and white marble bathrooms. Food is good ... however service does let this hotel down. This is a 5 star hotel, but not 5 star staff.
Couple of specific cons ...
- Temperature in the Farquar Bar is FREEZING. Not a random occurance, but everytime we go. If the temperature was slightly higher we would stay and have a drink or two. As it is too cold we do not stay. Maybe that is why it always seems empty
- Service in the restaurants is not to the standard of the hotel. A luxury hotel should have 5 star staff in their restaurants. Simple things like not taking a plate off the table unless all are finished need to be taught.
- Front desk staff seem quite junior and not able to think to make a decision for themselves. A luxury hotel should have experienced staff representing them when guests arrive and leave, not a couple of junior girls who have to keep asking their male compatriot questions.
- All staff should have polished attire. I would not expect a lurxury hotel to allow their staff to have uniforms untucked, shoes unpolished, hems coming undone and carry phones ... and what is it when girls slop around dragging their feet? Cant someone teach them how to walk properly?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as `The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era.In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, HotelTravel.com, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Otel, Booking.com and Tingo so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town