What can you say about the E&O? The sense of history is almost palpable when you're following in the footsteps of famous guests like Rudyard Kipling and Noel Coward. If you ever wondered what top class hotels and service were like when Britain really was a colonial power, this is the place to find out.
The building is magnificent and full of old world character, and so are the rooms, all with magnificent views across the Straits of Malacca to the distant mountains on the mainland. All modern facilities are available including excellent free wifi, but the plumbing can be a little temperamental. Given its age that can be forgiven - it is after all very much in character! The staff are charming, friendly and helpful, they really can't do enough for you. The quality of the food is top class and so are the prices, but that's to be expected in a hotel of this standard. Sarkies Corner is a cheaper option if you don't want the full fine dining experience. Breakfast is everything you could wish for and is served in the morning sunshine on Sarkies terrace. It's a very civilised way to start the day.
The hotel has an attractive outdoor pool area shaded by palm trees where it would be very easy to spend the whole day relaxing, but cross the road from the main entrance and you're right in the centre of historic Georgetown, which can easily be explored on foot. Further afield are the many other attractions of Penang island, particularly Penang National Park - well worth a visit.
We stayed at the E&O for 3 nights during our tour of Malaysia and thoroughly enjoyed immersing ourselves in its old colonial ambience. It's not cheap, but you're paying for something special. If you're going to Penang it really would be a crime not to treat yourself to the experience of staying at this wonderful old hotel.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern Oriental Hotel
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/Georgetown
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as `The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era.In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Splendia, HotelTravel.com, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.