The E&O is an institution, legendary, Old World charm etc etc and it's all true. It looks and feels like a trip to a different era which is great. To a point. The pool is small for a hotel of this size and in shadow for a chunk of the day. It is VERY expensive for drinks, even compared with Malaysia's "think of a price and double it" approach to booze. For the price the E&O charges I'd expect a little more in terms of facilities, but in fairness, the excellent concierge suggested we visit the Lone Pines (sister hotel) for the day. We did, and next time around will go there instead. They are building a new wing with a more modern, boutique feel ( a la Lone Pines) which I think will revitalise the place. We also had two young kids with us and were very mindful of keeping them quiet around older guests who clearly booked the E&O to get away from kids. Or people under 80 generally. Staff were awesome most of the time, coffee amnesia in the breakfast staff aside: Good Morning Sir, Coffee? Yes Please. Same waitress seconds later, Good Morning Sir, Coffee? repeated again twice, still no coffee bless them. Good to have experienced it, easy 4-5 minute walk to loads of bars/hawkers/interesting stuff so location cant be beat.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as `The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era.In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Agoda, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Orbitz, Splendia, Tingo, Otel, Despegar.com, HotelTravel.com, BookingOdigeoWL and Venere so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/Georgetown