We stayed here for 4 nights in beautiful suite rooms. Location is also fairly good. However, the whole time we were there we had shocking service. On the first night we had dinner in Sarkies restaurant which is more akin to a school canteen. There were 8 occupied tables and 4 wait staff. We were not shown to a table, totally ignored and ended up getting our own menu. We waited 45 mins for food despite constant reminders. For 3 days they had no chicken satays on the lunch menu- an Asian staple food! One day we wanted to get a taxi and I asked one of the door ladies to help and she told me to go on the street and wave it down myself. Not a big deal but at this standard of hotel you would expect more. The pool area in the day time felt more like a care home. We were the only people with a young child and even though she is fairly quiet I felt like we were being looked at. There are several long term British guests and it felt like there was a hierarchy of clientele. The manager only spoke to the 'regulars'. There is some work going on the shore so one morning we were having breakfast on the terrace accompanied by the sound and diesel smell of the digger. Breakfast is good and the wait staff were very attentive. Over rated over priced. Would definitely not recommend this for families and I wouldn't stay here again unless the rates were halved.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as `The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era.In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, Despegar.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Priceline so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town