We had a great stay at the E&O last weekend, despite a bumpy start being given an incorrect room (think this was Agoda's fault, however the hotel staff should have been slicker rectifying the issue). We were left in the room for 30 mins and then told the hotel was at full occupancy so there was no alternative. This was clearly not the case. In the end we were found an alternative perfectly lovely room, although it was clearly a downgrade. in any case, after this we settled in really well. The building is a glorious colonial facade, refreshingly cool and calm inside and with spectacular views of the sea. Decor is very "heritage" throughout (eg bathrooms are huge with original features, well appointed in the traditional colonial style).
Food: plenty of options at breakfast but don't arrive late as they stop replenishing so there's less available, the a la carte restaurant is fine but expensive; the bar food was very tasty. Afternoon tea was disappointing, particularly the sad looking sandwiches with fish paste spread.
Service: was good, and mostly accommodating, but slow and surly in places (especially breakfast)
Room service: a major gripe for me, and i think this was down to our room change. We had no towels both times the room service had been in, toiletries were not replaced either. Having said this, when we let them know, they quickly brought these things to us. I do think this wouldn't have happened if we had not changed rooms but it was irritating nonetheless.
Overall we appreciated the E&O for all that it offered in Penang. Next time I would stay here again, but perhaps in the new block they are currently completing.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern Oriental Hotel
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/Georgetown
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as `The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era.In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, AsiaRooms, Splendia, Agoda, Otel, Venere, Olotels, Priceline, Tingo and HotelsClick so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.