We stayed two nights to celebrate a special wedding anniversary. The hotel knew this but we were amazed when ushered to our room to find a large sheet of paper on the bed with a heart outlined in rose petals and two roses for my husband to present to me. And furthermore on the next day, the actual anniversary, we were telephoned in the afternoon on our return to the room to say a "parcel" was on its way up. This turned out to be 5 of the staff with a plate with two pieces of cake and a greeting in chocolate icing which we held while they sang "You are the only one for me"!!
The only criitcism of the suite (sitting area with sofa, desk etc opening on to bedroom then large luxury bathroom with bath, shower , his and her wash basins...) was that we could not get the room temperature sufficiently high for comfort in the day time- whatever we did it was too cold so we opened the window if there in day time. We did mention this to the desk but although we think someone came to the room in our absence it was clearly not possible to do anything. The bed was vast, but mattress on the hard side. The pool and sitting area with comfortable recliners and large parasols on the terrace by the sea is superb. So is breakfast. But we suspect that when the rest of the building,including an enormous tower block, is completed the place will seem too crowded - unless it is the plan to have separate pool and breakfast areas for the newer part. Breakfast from a fantastic choice sitting under a canopy outside was an experience to remember for ever. The location is good for walking into China Twon and Little India. There is a food hawker market quite near - so no need to pay large sums for hotel dinners. The staff anticipate one's every wish and need and are charming.This is undoubtedly one of the great hotels of the world.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as `The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era.In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Venere, HotelTravel.com, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Otel, Agoda, Booking.com and Tingo so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town