Just lovely to find the E&O in Penang. Excellent breakfast. Big room with sea view, bathroom had his and hers sides (so mine was tidy!). The red garden food hall across the road was great - you choose your dishes from the surrounding stalls and give them a table number and they trot along with their stuff and collect their cash - at £2 a course -yum! Only downside was the Coel birds in the tree outside our room -diurnal and active at 5am!
Arrived by bus from KL (60 ringgit each -can do cheaper) that terminates in a backwater bus station some 25 ringgit set fee to E&O in a crappyish old taxi. Airport transfer from E&O was 57 ringgit in a posh taxi (only 30 mins but traffic was good).
Weather this feb was torrential rain every night - so be prepared!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as `The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era.In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Agoda, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Tingo, Otel, HotelTravel.com, Booking.com, BookingOdigeoWL and Venere so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/Georgetown