My in-laws, who are historical junkies, recommended the E&O to my wife and I for our trip to Penang. I was a little hesitant to stay in a colonial hotel over one of the more modern hotels in Penang, but that feeling evaporated as soon as we walked through the doors into the spacious, majestic lobby and were treated to a magical experience.
The service is simply excellent. Everyone, from room service to the concierge wants to help you out, and they all do it with grace and charm.
Our suite (#011) was amazing. Located right on the ground floor, it afforded us a spectacular view of the Malacca Strait and the opportunity to stroll out onto the grounds whenever we pleased. Inside we were just as impressed. My wife took pictures of the room, she was so taken with it.
Breakfast (which was included) was breathtaking. Yes, I'm using the word breathtaking to describe breakfast. The options are endless, from asian to western. Care for morning sushi? No problem. How about pain au chocolat? Done. Oh, you'd like an omelette? They'll make it for you right now. I think you get my drift.
The only down side about the hotel is that after breakfast, their restaurant menu, while still good (and good value) is limited. So, for a town known its cuisine, you'll probably find yourself eating out rather than in most nights.
Can't say enough good things about the E&O. If we ever go back to Penang, the E&O will be the reason.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as `The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era.In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Agoda, HotelTravel.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Otel, Odigeo, Priceline, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Ctrip TA so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town