Booked this last minute for a three night stay in the run up to New Years. It was a great experience and good value.
The hotel is impressive - both in it's heritage and crucially the way it's preserved and maintained.
Our room was larger than I expected, 2nd floor, large bathroom with black 'n' white tiled floor and a view of the pool. Large safe, comfy beds - we slept really well. The separate sitting area with sofa was ideal for relaxing and watching TV.
Breakfast is superb - the best on our two week trip to Thailand, Singapore & Malaysia. Really good selection of fruit (inc yellow watermelon) and an unusual selection of savouries. The best was fresh roti canai with dhal - for anyone who like curry this is a real treat.
The bar was a mixed experience - one night a gloomy Indian barman, no snacks & no smile and then the next night a friendly Malaysia lady, bar snacks (Malaysian peanuts are out of this world, a bit like pistachios are amazing in Turkey) and frothy, delicious Tiger on tap. Their cocktails are only so-so.
The beef rendang and chicken capitan fo room service or the bar were the best we had in Malaysia - simply delicious.
Staff are friendly and helpful. Georgetown itself is OK, the food is not as good as it's purported to be and Penang Hill is decent day trip with a nice view. However, the best thing was just hanging out by the pool and soaking in the atmosphere of the hotel.
It was a really nice stay in a genuinely historic and well run hotel.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern Oriental Hotel
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/Georgetown
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as `The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era.In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Travelocity, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Splendia, Tingo, Venere, HotelTravel.com, TripOnline SA and Otel so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.