I booked a premier suite in this hotel for what was intended to be a relaxing weekend getaway with a friend. What we experienced though was quite the opposite.
We were given room 219. The room is large as advertised but it felt dark and rather spartan. Unlike in the photos on the hotel website, the living area did not have a fabric sofa set but was furnished instead with a distinctly uncomfortable set of cushion-less Chinese style hard wood chairs. The hotel has also it seems replaced curtains with heavy dark wood louvered doors which allow little natural light into the room. The bed was awful with a rock hard mattress and a thin blanket covered with a sheet. The bathroom/toilet is spacious but the fittings badly need maintenance. The hand held shower was faulty and the cistern leaked all night. Overall, for almost MYR1000/night, I felt that there was a distinct lack of luxury. However, the hotel being overpriced for what it offered was not the worst of it.
This last bit I've considered not including but decided on balance that potential guests should be warned that the rooms in this hotel might be inhabited by other entities. I have always been a bit of a sceptic, so when friends initially suggested that such an old hotel might be haunted, I laughed it off. However, after having been traumatised through the night by spectral disturbances at the E&O, I am no longer so cavalier about such things. At first light the next morning, we packed up, cancelled the rest of our stay at the E&O and moved to a newer modern hotel.
I did want to like this hotel but can’t really find a reason to recommend that anyone stay here unless you are specifically looking for a supernatural experience. The only positive thing I can say is that the service we had from the hotel staff during our short stay was excellent.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as `The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era.In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, HotelTravel.com, Hotels.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Agoda, Travelocity, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Priceline and Otel so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town