Entering the lobby of the E & O truly brings you back to an era of old world charm! The architecture, furniture and fittings reflect the colonial heritage that Penang in particular has come to represent. The staff are both polite and very helpful, and eager to please.... even offering me the use of a hotel limousine to head to the nearest ATM for my banking needs! The room we had was on the top (third) level, overlooking the small but private swimming pool and the sea further out. The room was separated to a sitting area with work table and TV, and the bedroom. Twin doors invite you further into a huge bathroom that is spacious and tastefully decorated. The furniture in the rooms, and i must say, hotel in general are a little old and well used, but it is this that gives the hotel a feel that is different to your other 5 star hotels in town. The king sized bed was firm and comfortable, enough to accommodate both adults and a toddler who refused to sleep in the cot bed provided. Perhaps the only negative that i could put to the hotel is that being such a huge building with high ceilings, the hotel, especially the Lobby area felt a little spartan, as echoes could occasionally be heard. The hotel could do with more furnishings and decoration in its lobby. Overall, it was an enjoyable stay at the E & O and we were glad we did it... at a fraction the cost of an equivalent hotel, like the Raffles in Singapore.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as `The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era.In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Agoda, HotelTravel.com, Despegar.com, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town