“A reasonable hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cititel Penang

You added Cititel Penang to your Saves list
Cititel Penang
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   66 Jalan Penang, George Town, Penang Island 10000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #24 of 69 Hotels in George Town
Singapore
“A reasonable hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

On a business trip to Penang and have my friend to book us a hotel and get to know this hotel.
It was a nicely located hotel. The only problem we have is that due to the age of this hotel, the carpet is smelly and the air-con is not cold. But likely the hotel rooms come with a ceiling fan which help to cool the room. When we were there, they having renovation. The staff are nice and also the buffet breakfast are good.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, May 4, 2014

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us and trust that you had a good trip home.

My sincere apologies for the lack of attention to details in your room – please be assured that this is not our usual standards of service that we maintain here at Cititel Penang and I have personally spoken to my Housekeeper and Maintenance Manager to ensure that this does not recur.

I am glad to know that you enjoyed your stay on the whole and thank you once again for taking the time to write. It is through your feedback that we can continuously strive to improve and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.

Tony Goh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

It's a simple hotel, not a very brand new, but it sits on great location.

There are plenty of foods around, near to massage place, etc etc.

I was driving there so I don't really eat around there, but saw a lot of bars, restaurants and convenience stores.

The furnitures are a bit old, but all working as it supposed to. So there is no complain at all.

The room size is not so bid, but not so small either. (I will put the pic later).

Car park quite little, but we always get the spot. Sometimes only left 1 or 2 spots. So, no complain at all too on this.

I don't really have special impression, but I don't mind coming back here again.

Room Tip: The higher the better, as usual
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, April 28, 2014

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

I am glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Yes, our location is indeed one of plus points and many of our guests are pleasantly surprised at how convenient it is to move around from here for shopping, dining and even sight-seeing, be it by foot, by trishaw, by car or by public transport.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you and your friends back to Cititel Penang and thank you for making us your preferred hotel on your next visit. See you soon.

Bristol
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Overall the hotel is in a fab location and the breakfast is good. The croissants were a but stale but the Chinese buffet was very good.

We had some issues-
We were initially given a smoking room and were not even asked if we wanted that. We could smell smoke in our room and had to spend the first night sleeping in a smokey room as they didn't have anything else.

The room is okay but feels a bit old and dated.
Also the windows to the rooms do not open at all, which I find annoying as I like to let in some fresh air.

Finally the internet connection is soooooo infuriating!! If you are touring around like is, we really rely on good internet so as to book next hotels and travel plans. The internet in this hotel is so slow and keeps dropping every five seconds.
In the end had to resort to making Phonecalls but the phone didn't work as they had blocked it because we had not paid a deposit!
We had to call reception, pay a deposit and then they unblocked it!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, April 22, 2014

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to share the review of your recent stay. I read your comments with great concern and am disappointed to learn of your stay experience here with us.

I regret your discomfort on the first night due to our rooms being fully booked at that time and could not offer you an alternative room. We do not have a totally smoke-free environment policy at our hotel, hence, our Maintenance Manager and Housekeeper are constantly looking into improving the air quality within the hotel, especially that of our public areas and our guestrooms.

Our guestroom windows are always locked as part of the safety and security measure of this hotel. However, the window can be unlocked upon guest’s request and signing of the indemnity form. It is our policy to request for a RM100 deposit upon check in – we regret that we had to disable the phone connection as you had declined paying the deposit when you checked in.

I am sorry to hear that you had a connectivity issue during your stay. I have asked our IT personnel to check thoroughly as we have substantially increased our bandwidth and number of access points recently on our guest floors, hence this matter should not arise, unless we have guests downloading heavy files which may have affected the connectivity. Alternatively, we do provide complimentary WIFI access at the Internet Kiosk, located within the Main Street Café, Lobby Level which I hope, had assisted you.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write as it is through your feedback that we can continuously strive to improve and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.

Once again, my apologies that your stay was not up to expectations on this occasion. However, I do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back again for another stay – do contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

We spent 3 days 2 nights in Penang recently and put up our stay in Cititel Penang as recommended by a close friend. It is located in the heart of the city and close to many eateries. On top of this, there is a free internal bus service to transport visitors around the main areas of the city. The hotel has a large lobby area but unfortunately there is no entertainment provided such as reading materials or desktop computers to access free internet.

The staff is very helpful and friendly. Keep up this good work!

I would recommend it to my friends who want to stay in Penang.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang and trust you had a good trip home.

It is most heartening to read the review of your recent stay with us – thank you for your gracious comments of our team’s services and hotel location.

I am sorry to learn that you were not informed of the Internet Kiosk at the Main Street Café, our 24-hour café, located on the Lobby Level, where our house guests and patrons are accorded complimentary use of the computer units as well as complimentary broadband internet access. We do have reading materials provided at the Main Street Café too.

I sincerely hope that this did not cause you any inconvenience and did not deter you from enjoying your stay with us. My team and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to stay with us again soon.

Thank you for your recommendation and please do not hesitate to contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if i may of further assistance with your reservations.

With best wishes and kind regards
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Stayed 4 days 3 nights during 26 feb till 1st march 2014. Was here for a short getaway with my colleague. We choose this hotel as it is in a very good location. Walking distance of 5-10 mins to 1st avenue mall, komtar, chowrasta market ( place that u can buy pickles and souvenir, also they have old bookstore that sell 2nd hand book at low price on 2nd floor), Sup Hameed restaurant (u should try as they served mutton soup super delicious), restaurant kapitan @ chulia street and the famous Nasi Kandar Line Clear stall. Opposite the hotel, it have quite a few good and nice cafe to try it out. There are plenty of minimart that operate 24hrs. There is a bus stop opposite the hotel where you can catch the free shuttle bus or other buses directly to Penang Hill or Gurney Drive. Taxi stands are just opposite and its easy to get cab if you do not wish to wait for public buses. Surrounding by club, for sure your night will never be bored.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, April 8, 2014

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for your review - I am delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us and happy to note that you have done quite a bit of exploring too. Yes, many of our guests agree with you on how easy it is to get around the city with Cititel Penang as your base whilst in Penang.

My team members and I certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang on your next visit and our sincere thanks once again for sharing your experience with us.

Terima Kasih and kind regards,
Genera Manager
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

it is located in a very nice location closer to red garden food court and upper penang road,
service was ok,
hotel is bit old and nothing very special about it, rooms are small and so are the bathrooms.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang!

It is indeed a delight to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we are glad that you like the location of our hotel.

My team members and I certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang on your next visit and our sincere thanks once again for taking the time to share your experience with us.

With kind regards,
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

Stayed at the hotel for 4 days 3 nights. The room is nice and clean and quite comfortable. Requested for a room with sea view. It was a nice view indeed. Overall stay was good. But the only set back was the swimming pool, steam and sauna and the Wifi. The swimming pool was indoor and very small.The hotel didn't have a dress code for using the swimming pool and you can see people swimming fully dressed with t-shirt and long pants. As a result, the water was not so clean. The hotel should insist on proper swim wear and not allowed its guests to swim fully dressed. There was no separate steam and sauna for male and female. Male and female are supposed to share the steam and sauna. Other hotels have separate steam and sauna for male and female but not Cititel. The steam room was not in good shape. There was once, the steam was out of control and it was so hot that you can't even go in and the floor was flooded. The Wifi in the room was really terrible. Can't even access the internet at all. If you drive, please be careful at the entrance where the parking booth is. There was a pillar on the left very close to the parking booth. Be careful not to turn your car too early. I scratched my car because while showing the ticket to the attendant, I didn't notice the pillar and turned too early. Got a bad dent on my car. Looking at the pillar, there were lots of marks meaning many cars have scratched it before. So be careful if you drive. And the parking was very limited. So don't come back to the hotel late at night. Otherwise you can't get a parking spot. Try to get a room away from the lift. My room was quite near the lift. For two nights, I woke up early in the morning because people outside were talking, laughing and running. It was 2.30am and 4am in the morning.The location is good. Near a food court with lots of food to eat. But it only opens at night. There are a few kopitiam nearby. So breakfast is not a problem. Overall, the stay was good.

Room Tip: High floor with sea view away from the lift.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to share your review – I have noted that whilst you enjoyed your stay with us, there are a few areas which need our attention. I am pleased to share that we are in the midst of enforcing proper swimwear for the pool and are constantly checking on the facilities in the area.

I am sorry to hear of the scratch on your car – I have personally briefed our private car park operator to advise our guests about the pillar after collecting the ticket as well as to provide our house guests with priority when they return to park in the evening.

My sincere thanks for writing in to share your kind feedback as it is through your observations that we can continuously improve and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.

I do look forward to welcoming you and your family back to stay with us soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be assistance with your future bookings.

Tony Goh

Been to Cititel Penang? Share your experiences!