“great hotel with good location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cititel Penang

Save Saved
You added Cititel Penang to your Saves list
Cititel Penang
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   66 Jalan Penang, Georgetown, Penang Island 10000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #15 of 49 hotels in Georgetown
Kuching, Malaysia
“great hotel with good location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

great hotel. famous red garden hawker stall just round the corner. free island hopping bus just opposite the hotel (bus stop no 7). opposite road side god lots of souvenir n hawker food. one thing... cannot find a supermarket around here. need to walk 30min to komtar for supermarket.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear Ms Yeo

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang!

It is indeed very heartening to know that you and your family have enjoyed your recent stay with us at Cititel Penang.

We truly appreciate your gracious comments of our hotel, which is great motivation to us all and THANK YOU very much for the high score of 98/100 you accorded us in our online guest survey.

Thank you for your recommendation and my team and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon.

Wishing you and your family a great start to the Year of the Snake 2013.

656 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights with my wife and we were happy for what we paid for. The location is good as its close to the big shopping centres and a lot of food places. Staff were ok however i must say the bell boys were really good in particuler gabriel. Hes very knowledgable and can provide you with lots of tips on where to go and how to get around. There is a decent variety on for the breakfast with something for everyone. The car service at the hotel is good and very well priced i thought, our driver was esther who was informative and friendly. Rooms are a bit on the small side however are clean and well maintained. Will stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang and I trust that you had a good trip home.

Thank you for your kind review on your stay at Cititel Penang and your compliments for our Bell Service team – I have shared your kind comments with Gabriel with much pride.

My team and I are delighted to know that you had an enjoyable time in Penang and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance with your next reservations with us.

Best wishes and kind regards,
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

The rooms are simply awesome...Stayed in the deluxe room and it was cozy,clean,modern and comfartable...The hotel has went through a major renovation in the rooms...But the facilities like the swimming pool and sauna are not well maintained...the swimming pool is dirty and the sauna is smelly...The staff are all very slow in everything...First day when i checked in the staff at the reception does not know how to calculate and i ended up doing all the calculation of the rooms...the staff just tells that his maths is very poor and so sry about it...wat kind of management is this....when i call the house keeping or room service they take up to an hour to sent up anything that is requested....the hotel should look into their staff and maybe the hotel will be much better...

Room Tip: Rooms with queen size beds face the sea...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, February 21, 2013

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us and I deeply regret to learn of your disappointment over the service rendered during your stay.

Please accept my profound apologies for the lack of service from Front Office and Housekeeping the teams.

i would like to reassure you that this is not our usual standards of service at Cititel Penang and I have reiterated to my Housekeeper and Front Office Manager to ensure that this does not recur.

On a happier note, i am pleased to know that our Deluxe rooms appeal to you.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write as it is through your feedback that we can continuously strive to improve and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon – do contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance.

Wishing you a great weekend ahead.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Lobby smells musky and full of cigarette smells even though it looks like it's non-smoking. Room is simple with 2 super single beds and a small chair and glass table at the window (it's impossible to sit there as the air con vent blows directly at you). Toilet is clean but old and toiletries are pathetic. I thought I'd never see a shampoo/shower dispenser ever again except for gyms but voila, the hotel management apparently thinks guests can use the same product for their hair AND body. Unfortunately I didn't bring my own shampoo & conditioner and was forced to use it. Needless to say, my scalp started to itch the next day (ok I admit I've a sensitive scalp). Sigh. Location wise, hotel is ok, a 5mins walk from the free bus service route. But you'd have to hail a cab if you don't want to wait for the bus (if it even comes at all!). Concierge desk just outside the lobby will arrange taxis (which essentially are private cars driven by people wanting to earn an extra buck). Note that all fares are negotiated before the journey as no taxi will run by the meter. Did not try any of the restaurants so not able to comment on the food. Wifi is initially set up for connection to 1 device only, you can call front desk to increase it to a maximum of 2 connections which means you have to make a choice between your smartphone, tablet & laptop. There's no safe in the room, you can deposit your valuables at the front desk for safekeeping (if you dare) or just bring it along with you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to share the review of your recent stay and it is with much regret to learn of the less-than-positive experience of your stay here.

All our rooms are equipped with bathroom amenities from shower gel, shampoo to shower caps and the amenities in the rooms in the Deluxe category and upwards come in miniature bottles whilst the rest are installed with a shower gel/shampoo dispenser in the bath area. In-room safe is also available in all rooms from the Deluxe category upwards.

Yes, we presently offer complimentary WIFI connection for two persons per room and am pleased to share that we do provide 4G speeds up to 20Mbps connectivity in our hotel – the very first hotel in Penang to offer this service – and guests are able to sign up for this hotspot device rental when staying with us. It can be connected to any WIFI- enabled device and allows the use of 4 gadgets per time at very affordable rates.

Apart from the Standard category of room which you stayed in, we do have other categories of rooms available at the hotel which would be more comfortable for your use in terms of room size and on higher floors, and I hope that you would want to try them out as well as our 4G internet connection on your next visit.

Regretfully, our hotel does not have a totally smoke-free environment policy but our Maintenance Manager and Housekeeper are constantly seeking ways to improve the air quality of our public areas and in our guestrooms. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and discomfort encountered with the lingering smoke smell.

Thank you once again for writing and I wish you a great week ahead.

With kind regards,
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Not the best hotel in Penang but if you want to pay less than $100 per night this is a pretty good deal. Basic, clean and affordable accommodation and a great location. This hotel is right next to some really great hawker food stands and George Town's most famous bars and clubs.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang,

Thank you very much for taking time to share your review online. We are pleased to note that you had an enjoyable time in our Heritage City.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

until then, my best wishes for a great 2013 ahead.

with kind regards
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

After many previous visits this will, unfortunately, be the last stay at this hotel. BEWARE, there is no such thing as a no smoking floor - the air-conditioning system does a perfect job of recycling the smoke to every part of the hotel. You will be greeted in a smoke-filled reception and your room will constantly fill with smoke. You will even be asked the question when appearing for breakfast whether you would like smoking or non-smoking. This is amazing in 2013. Why could this hotel not start by at least not subjecting non-smokers to smoke in the dining room, and its staff to smoke in reception.

Although we changed rooms three times, we developed chesty coughs and couldn't wait to get out of the place. We were told by reception that nobody else had complained but a quick look at TripAdvisor shows quite a few customers who won't be returning. It appears that this hotel values its smoking customers more highly and the manager, Mr Goh, is unwilling to see the light.

Breakfast was constantly cold.

Room Tip: Avoid if non-smoker.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for writing and it is with regret to learn of the less-than-positive experience of your recent stay with us.

I apologise that we do not provide a totally smoke-free environment within the hotel but would like to share that I am revisiting our hotel’s Non-Smoking Policy and am also in the midst of engaging a consultant to assist us with this issue.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and discomfort encountered.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again – do contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance with your future reservations with us.

San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Stayed at this hotel in Feb. I found the staff well trained and very courteous and friendly - quite efficient and helpful. I was to check in on Sat but had to be out and about the whole day - so I brought my luggage to the hotel at 7am thinking I could store it at the concierge while I run around and collect them when I checked in later. To my surprise, the front desk staff allowed me to check into my room early - that's flexibility for you! Most other hotels would refuse to let me in until way past the check in time - their mantra, they can be late, only the guests cannot be early! Not so Cititel! Well done!

I asked for an extension power cord and it was not only delivered quickly but Suhaimi of the Concierge was most helpful in following up that I actually received it - this and other "small" things like the help in setting up the security box, the greetings when one meets a staff in the lift/corridor, says a lot about the training and the staff morale of the establishment. I would say I am pleasantly pleased to say this level of service reminds me as that of the Shangrila Hotel chains of the past -
well done!

All the nice things said about the people, the physical part of the hotel could do with some work - the lobby area, all polished and new, belies worn carpets and dated furnishing in the rooms. The furnishing does show its age despite reasonable effort by maintenance. The one area that bothered me the most was the lingering smell of cigarettes in the background. Not obvious in most places but to a non smoker, quite evident. The AC in my room seems to be pulling in some dust/smoke particles that irritated my nose the entire stay I was there.

As highlighted elsewhere, this hotel is quite convenient location for food and the inner city. If only the owners would refurbish this hotel, coupled with the level of service, would make this a very nice hotel right in the heart of Penang city!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, February 12, 2013

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and thank you for the compliments on the service rendered. I was most happy to share your comments with Suhaimie and our front desk team.

Our hotel has just completed the final phase of our refurbishment programme late last year - thank you for your observations; we are constantly continuing with our maintenance and the upkeep of the property to ensure that all is in order.

Regretfully, our hotel does not have a totally smoke-free environment policy but our Maintenance Manager and Housekeeper are always looking into improving the air quality of our public areas and in our guestrooms relentlessly. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and discomfort encountered with the lingering smoke smell.

I hope that this did not detract you from the overall enjoyment of your stay here - thank you once again for writing and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

With kind regards,
Tony Goh

Been to Cititel Penang? Share your experiences!