“In the heart of Georgetown” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cititel Penang

You added Cititel Penang to your Saves list
Cititel Penang
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   66 Jalan Penang, George Town, Penang Island 10000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #20 of 54 Hotels in George Town
Jinan, Shandong, China
“In the heart of Georgetown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Cititel was a great experience. From staff that was considerate, friendly, knowledgeable and amenities that were top-notch, it was an overall great place to stay.

Given its proximity to Fort Cornwallis, nightclubs and bars, as well as good shopping, it is a gem. The price was good, the location great, the staff was excellent and the food in the hotel was genuinely a treat.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang and I trust that you had a good trip back to Jinan.

Reading your review was indeed a great way to start the new month! THANK YOU for giving us full marks on our hotel facilities and services!

I am very glad to note that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us at Cititel Penang and it is most gratifying to know that we have exceeded your expectations.

Thank you for recommending Cititel Penang and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Wishing you a great week ahead and best wishes for a Happy and Prosperous Year Of the Snake.

Gong Xi Fa Cai from all of us at Cititel Penang.

With kind regards,
Tony Goh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My family of three stayed here for the first time from 25/1/2013 to 28/1/2013 in a deluxe room(seaview).Checking in and checking out were hazzle-free.They have a transport and tour counter at the entrance,and it makes getting a car or a tour a breeze.You pay the cash and they issue a receipt.It sure beats going around looking for a cab.The 5 hour guided tour offered by Capital One is superb,and overall,the hotel staff are friendly and helpful.

There are many of good restaurants nearby,eg.Salsa,Foong Wei Heong,etc.It's only about 15 mins walk to the the heart of Chinatown,where there are even more Chinese restaurants - Tai Tong Restoran (Lebuh Cintra) has great dim-sum served the traditional push-cart style.If you are looking for a good priced hotel within a great location,you can't go wrong with Cititel.

H.F.Leong.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Dear Mr Leong

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang!

I am thoroughly delighted to know that you and your family have enjoyed your recent stay at Cititel Penang and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

It is always gratifying to know that we have exceeded our guests' expectations during their stay with us and your appreciation is great motivation to all of us here. I also hope that you had a great time exploring our heritage city during your stay.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us and please do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of assistance with your reservations.

Until then, may I extend my best wishes to you and family for a happy and prosperous Year of the Snake 2013!

Gong Xi Fa Cai.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

we goot a connceting room, with a courtesy of the front desk staff name Rohan, the swimming pool is indoor, even its abit small compare to others, but its cozy with Jacuzzi :D walking distance to soho bistro, 7eleven, mamak stall just few min walk... room is big and clean, i got a sea view and KOMTAR view, inside the hotel have 3 types of restaurant and also lounge. free parking, even parking is less, they took care of their customers. But the lobby restroom is so dirty when it comes to midnight. overall it is gud and surely will come again for a stay here, and recommend to friends :D

Room Tip: try to ask for some gud views, or corner rooms :)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang .

Thank you for your kind review on your stay at Cititel Penang – my team and I are delighted to know that you had an enjoyable time in Penang.

Sincere thanks for recommending us and we look forward to welcoming you and your friends back again soon.

Best wishes and kind regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Checked in on the 26th Jan 2013 (Geoegetown, Penang) and greeted by their most helpful front desk. My friend and I booked 3 rooms for a night and asked for a little later checkout on the next day. The front counter ladies just let us checkout at 1:30pm. I had a great experience with Cititel and will definitely return on my next trip!!

• Stayed January 2013

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang!

It is most heartening to note that you have enjoyed your stay here - thank you for your positive comments and for your kind words about our Front Office team.

My sincere thanks, once again, for taking the time to share your experience at Cititel Penang and for your recommendation.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Penang.

Kuala Lumpur
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

To be honest, I did not have a problem with this hotel until the end when I checked out.

Location was good.
Hotel is a bit old and outdated, but I suppose it is still clean and well maintained.
Mattress was a bit hard for my liking.
The aircon was a bit weak at night, and when you turn on the room fan - it becomes too cold.

I had no major complaints, till I checked out.

There were 2 staff at reception.
One male Chinese, pretending to do work on his computer.
One female Chinese, serving customers alone.

A line formed up, and the Chinese male staff pretended / ignored the people queue up in front of him. He simply ignored them without telling them not to queue, till the guests got fed up and left the queue.
These people then decided to cut in front of me (served by the Chinese female).
When I complained, the male Chinese staff simply shrugged and walked off leaving the Chinese lady to serve the line by herself.

Fortunately at that point, a female Chinese supervisor came out and immediately served me.

Unfortunately - the experience left a bitter taste in my mouth, and I will never return to any Cititel hotel. Never.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us and I regret to learn of the disappointment encountered during checking out.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the lack of service and attention upon your check-out; I have identified the said staff who has since been reprimanded on his behaviour which is totally unacceptable. Do be assured that this is not our usual standards of service that we maintain here at Cititel Penang and I have reiterated to my Front Office Manager to ensure that this does not recur.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write as it is through your feedback that we can continuously strive to improve and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again – do contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance.

Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We booked 3 rooms and stayed on the 11th floor 2 corner rooms and a connecting room. Beautiful seaview and the corner room also has two windows, one facing the sea and the other facing the town. Bathrooms are large and clean, although a bit old in design. Opposite the hotel is the MPPP Cat shuttle bus which is free and the bus goes around georgetown and ends at the jetty bus terminal. There are other public buses at the same bus stop that could take you to the various tourist sites. We didn't try the hotel breakfast as there were many eating places outside the hotel serving local Penang food. We had dim sum lunch at the Chinese restaurant and was pleasantly surprised when our bill was presented. They were offering dim sum at 50% discount on weekdays which we were not aware of. House keeping staff are polite. We asked for late check-out and the counter staff had no problem with our request at all. They also helped us to contact our driver when he was late for our transfer to the airport. Overall a very good experience with Cititel and we would definitely return to stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for the corner room on a high floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, January 28, 2013

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang!

I appreciate your taking the time to share the experience of your stay at Cititel Penang and Thank You very much for your gracious comments about our team members, facilities and service rendered. It is always a delight to know that we have exceeded your expectations and hope that you have had a memorable timehere.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you and your friends back the next time you are in Penang and thank you once again for your recommendation.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Cititel is at prime location. Everything is just walking distance. Hawker stalls, restaurants, 7/11 and pubs everything is right there. Rooms are small but clean and comfortable bed. Staff is friendly and help you find your way around the city / attractions and give some handy tips too. Great service. Breakfast is just too good. They have all the cuisines like Malay, Chinese, Indian, Continental, Japanese!! Would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone.

Penang Georgetown is more popular for its authentic meals like Char Koay Teow, Cendol, Hokkien mee... Popular attractions are Gurney Drive, Penang Hill, Kek Lok Si temple, Reclining Buddha Temple.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, January 21, 2013

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang!

Thank you for your positive comments about your recent stay with us - It is always a delight to know that we have exceeded our guests' expectations during their stay with us and your appreciation of my team, the service and facilities is great motivation to all of us here.

My sincere thanks, once again, for taking the time to share your experience at Cititel Penang and for your recommendation in your review.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to another fulfilling stay at Cititel Penang.

Until then, my best wishes for a great year ahead.

Tony Goh

Been to Cititel Penang? Share your experiences!